Octura 1645

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Christy

Guys,

There is a gap in Octura's prop line from the 1640 to the 1650 with nothing between. On my personal 21 hydro, I run a 1650 with some success, but it takes alot of work to get the prop right. I understand that Andy Brown's prop of choice for a 21 hydro is the 1445, pitched up to about 3.3". I also know that the ABC 1716 seems to be the flavor of the year for 21 hydro. So I made a phone call......

I spoke with the guy at Octura (I can't remember his name) about maybe introducing a new prop the line-up. I think a 1645 would be the perfect prop for 21 hydro's with strong engines. It is almost a numerical equivilent to the 1716 and the pitched up 1445. My personal prop is cut to about 43mm and left at stock pitch, and I'm very happy with it. At first he seemed to want to sell me the new M646 or an X646. Both of these have a very progressive pitch (more pitch at the trailing edge than at the leading edge), which I personally don't like for a rigger prop. When I mentioned that ABC was selling the 1716 as fast as they can make them, he somewhat changed his tune, however.

So I thought........................

Maybe if we made enough noise about it.............. Maybe if he thought he could sell enough of them............... Maybe if there were enough demand for it..............

Now, I'm not asking for any kind of real commitment, but I thought if there were enough of them "sold" ahead of time, he might go ahead and make a mold for it and add it to the line.

Let's hear what you have to think.............

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

I would love to have one..... or two!!!

I was thinking about cutting 1650 down to 45mm and repitch to say 2.85" with a 3.2 to 3.4 cup and see what that would do. Anyone tried this?

Billy

NJ,

Don't touch the pitch. Like I said, I've got mine cut down to 43mm, but it's still got the 80mm stock pitch, and it's FAST! Try it just cut down before you start cupping it.

I think the reason the 16xx props are so good for hydros is the lack of pitch progression. I know that cupping a prop makes the boat faster (usually), but if you can just increase the overall pitch of the blade and leave it a "true" pitch, it will be even faster yet. I've got two other 1650's that I have cupped, and they are even faster than the stock pitch, but they are much harder on the plugs. One of them is so fast in open water, the boat won't stay wet side down.........

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Brad,

Throw one in for me as well.

John

Brad Christy said:
Guys,
There is a gap in Octura's prop line from the 1640 to the 1650 with nothing between. On my personal 21 hydro, I run a 1650 with some success, but it takes alot of work to get the prop right. I understand that Andy Brown's prop of choice for a 21 hydro is the 1445, pitched up to about 3.3". I also know that the ABC 1716 seems to be the flavor of the year for 21 hydro. So I made a phone call......

I spoke with the guy at Octura (I can't remember his name) about maybe introducing a new prop the line-up. I think a 1645 would be the perfect prop for 21 hydro's with strong engines. It is almost a numerical equivilent to the 1716 and the pitched up 1445. My personal prop is cut to about 43mm and left at stock pitch, and I'm very happy with it. At first he seemed to want to sell me the new M646 or an X646. Both of these have a very progressive pitch (more pitch at the trailing edge than at the leading edge), which I personally don't like for a rigger prop. When I mentioned that ABC was selling the 1716 as fast as they can make them, he somewhat changed his tune, however.

So I thought........................

Maybe if we made enough noise about it.............. Maybe if he thought he could sell enough of them............... Maybe if there were enough demand for it..............

Now, I'm not asking for any kind of real commitment, but I thought if there were enough of them "sold" ahead of time, he might go ahead and make a mold for it and add it to the line.

Let's hear what you have to think.............

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

67962[/snapback]

John, others,

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not taking orders. I'm only trying to get the ground rumbling such that it can be heard clear up in Skokie, Illinois.

Call Octura. He wrote my request down. If he gets enough check marks next to my name, maybe he'll do something about it.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

[if that is what prefer and I understand why, why not post the phone # for Octura? Bet more calls will be made if it is easily available. Suggestion only. Maybe we can find out the name of the guy and post it for others to wear him out.

quote=Brad Christy,Oct 6 2004, 07:45 PM]

John, others,

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not taking orders. I'm only trying to get the ground rumbling such that it can be heard clear up in Skokie, Illinois.

Call Octura. He wrote my request down. If he gets enough check marks next to my name, maybe he'll do something about it.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

67970[/snapback]

Guys,

Is this it? I figured this topic would spread like wildfire! I'm still waiting to hear from Mr. Sholand...............

Has anybody called Octura? What say they?

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Brad,

I've talked about a 1645 for years from Octura. I think you need to talk to Gary

Preusse about it, then it may happen. I am happy with the ABC propellers any

ways,at least Jim uses quality materials in his propellers. The 1716 and the 1816

are fine with a few modifications, at least I don't have to cut the blades all up.

Tom will figure it out in due time. :)

Thanks Brad, Some Good Topics Lately,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
1645 doesn't do anything for me, either.. I like ABC as well... H-7, though..

Charley

Charley,

I don't want to sound harsh, but your input on this topic is no longer needed. Anybody who thinks that there is nothing better than what they already have is not of the right mind-set for the pursuit of better performance. I'm not going to say that an Octura 1645 will be the best prop ever for a 21 hydro, or even better than what I've already got, but I'm sure as hell hot going to decide until I've tried it.

I've heard of alot of guys running the H-7 lately. I don't get it. I get far better performance out of the H-10 than the H-7, let alone my 1650. What is it about the H-7 that makes so many settle with it?

BTW, Octura, ABC......... They both have their positives and negatives. I'm looking for a better prop, I don't care who makes it.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Well, that was harsh.. You are asking why people aren't contributing to this thread or why aren't they calling Octura. I gave you my reason why I am not calling Octura.

I "settled" on an H-7 because I have learned what I know about hydros from the guy who won US-1 this year and former 2 lap record holder in 21 hydro... What's his prop of choice? H-7... So I guess it came down to listening to someone who has won many, many races and national events vs. wishing and hoping for a cure all prop that doesn't exist.

Charley

Charley,

I bet if Octura were to release a 1645, even those who already win races and run much fast than most would try it.

There are those who make things happen, those who let things happen, those who hope things happen and those who wonder what happened. ;)

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Well, good luck on your 1645 pursuit.. I will just sit back with my crummy old H-7 and be miserable running at the speeds I am.

Thanks for the reality check..

Charley

Hey Brad,

What kind of modifications have you done to an H-7? I bet if you reduce one

to 45 mm and just run it in it's stock form you would be surprised. Believe it

or not,it is a 82 MPH propeller with only 3.6" of cup.

Just give it a try, and write back your testing results. If you still have 190*

of exhaust timing in your MAC 21 you may want to go down to 43 mm.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

shoboat said:
Hey Brad,
What kind of modifications have you done to an H-7? I bet if you reduce one

to 45 mm and just run it in it's stock form you would be surprised. Believe it

or not,it is a 82 MPH propeller with only 3.6" of cup.

Just give it a try, and write back your testing results. If you still have 190*

of exhaust timing in your MAC 21 you may want to go down to 43 mm.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

68844[/snapback]

Mark,

How many rpm's did it take to make a 45mm prop with 3.6" cup do 82mph?

Brad,

I'm with you - if he makes it I'll buy one to try it. As for calling Octura - the phone call would cost more than the prop! that and the time difference :blink: The cupped H10 Mark S. does is a nice heat race prop and is my current prop of choice.

Back