Show me your Vintage Associated Lil Hoss Hydro`s !

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darin christensen

I pulled this Associated "Lil Hoss III" hydro out today and decided to take some pics to share. This boat build was started when the boat was new and was never finished, never started, never seen water. This boat is 36" x 19" with a .40 Super Tiger engine and a full "Stinger" hardware kit which includes a motor mount, rudder assembly & throttle exhaust set up. This one is on my list of boats to finish, and I`d like to see pics (especially engine, tank & servo set up) of how other people built there boats in the past. I`m still trying to figure out what years these boats were made also. So if anyone has any pics or info on these boats I`d love to see it. Thanks

DSCF0484.JPG

DSCF0485.JPG

DSCF0486.JPG

DSCF0488.JPG

DSCF0489.JPG

DSCF0490.JPG

DSCF0491.JPG

DSCF0492.JPG

DSCF0493.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some Old School right there. KQQL
default_wink.png

Hey Darin.

The Lil Hoss with K&B 40 side exhaust dykes ringed engine with Marine Specialties moto mount , Octura 30 steel flywheel, Kool Clamp and Universal, Stinger rudder assembly and prop, With a Kraft radio was the first R/C boat I ever owned - Bought it from Orange Blossom Hobbies in Miami, Florida in 1970 while home on leave while in the Navy.. Don Pinckert worked there and got a lot of new boaters into these, same engine/ package and I remember it as some the most fun racing I have ever done in model boating. 44 years later and I'm still playing with these "Toy Boats".

Thanks for posting the pics - like a stroll down memory lane. I( have never seen that cowl on any of the Hoss hulls. I thought they were designated: Mini Hoss for .21, Lil Hoss for .40, and Big Hoss for 60 powered hulls. George Mueller was selling them in 1970 out of Arizona as I recall. A couple of moons ago. CHJEERS !!! Bob

Gus & Bob L'l Hoss 1973.JPG

Don's Li'l Hoss.JPG

LilHossChk.JPG

LilHossChk#2.JPG

Don's Big Hoss #1.jpg

Don's Thunderboat.JPG

Flying T-Boat.JPG

FU-2 First Twin.JPG

Hey Ray,

Old School?? Speak for yourself - just a couple days back. Har, Har !!!

They were a BLAST !!! That is the first instruction sheet I've seen and didn't know Associated was the company name until now. We ran solid shafts in K& H brass tubing (double wall) stiffing tubes with ball bearings to support the shaft through the tubes - about 10 total as I recall. Two at the rear of the tube, then spaced at irregular intervals up to the front of the tube to prevent harmonic imbalance of shaft. The two layer thick brass stuffing tube used a plywood wedge between the hull bottom and the tube - - we used Sig Epoxy and glass cloth to keep them in place. Many ran the 7 degree strut also.

Hobbypoxy paint was the rage back then - - - OMG !!!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Tell me it ain't so Mikey !!! Har, Har !!!

Would be wild with a fire breathing CMB 45 in one today, but - - - I'm not that quick anymore. Jeff could drive the wheels off of one though. I'm still overwhelmed by the loop he did last round in Evansville in 2013 - and kept on Truckin' , passing mine DIW from a loop tried moments earlier down the back straight. CHEERS !!! Bob

Great pics there Bob.Did that twin engined hydro have any type of mufflers attached to those headers,and what did the F U stand for.?

Hey Scott and Wayne,

That's the way we ran them back then before tuned piped really hit the market. There were a lots of .40 Lil Hoss and 60 Big Hoss boat running in Miami back then in D and E Hydro - there was not 1/8th Nitro Scale rules out with IMPBA back then. We had one boater Lenny - stuck the end of the mini pipe off an OPS 60 through a hole in the front of the rear cowl and filled that area with fiberglass to dampen the noise. My first 1/8th Scale boat was 7474 U-74 VALU*MART . I think I used a piece of lawn chair to exit exhaust outside the cowl.

I'm thinking the FU - 2 was an abbreviation for "Felix Ungar" - from old movie "The Odd Couple" with Martin Matthew (sp) and Jack Lemon.

Tricked you Wayne. I am, after all - an Officer and a Gentleman - Har, Har !!! Took and act of Congress to make that happen. Don't force me to unveil the olde Master Chief on here.

Don's FU - 2 was actually made from a hull called "Thunderboat". The Big Hoss deck had been modified to stiffen the hull up some, and a forward cowl was added as part of the deck also. A new deck mold and a splashed hull bottom mold were made by someone in Miami.

Don's 6.5 K&B Twin Gator also had mini pipes also. Found a Mini Hoss (.21) with the same cowl as in Darin's post, plus a few othe Old School Pics I though would be enjoyed. Sick_Person pic is an up Scale Coyote Daytona with a 350 V-8 in it - just for grins. CHEERS !!! Bob

Bob's VALUMART.JPG

Mini Hoss.JPG

sick_person.jpg

Don's Thunderboat.JPG

Thundergator & twin .45.JPG

NAMBA '78.JPG

NAMBA Nats 1978.JPG

Hey Darin,

I don't have any pics of the radio installation we used back then. We used Kraft radios back then and KPS-11 servos that had no torque at all. How we ever turned these things - amazes me. The "BIB GUN" servo from Kraft was the 20H I believe - still not enough torque to write home about. We used airplane aireron mounts so that the two servos would lay on their sides and get the CG as low as possible. We used penny balloons as water tight boundries. Now that the laughter has subsided - that is all we had back then.

In answer to your initial question - I would run it as you have the hardware already set up for a Nostalgic representation as the plans describe.

We used to put the rudder, throttle servos, receiver and battery pack & switch in the rear of the hull and close the rear hatch /cowl down with a lot of 4-40 screws with a rubber seal to keep water out. Pool noodles were not available back then, so we didn't use anything for flotation. Why more didn't sink to the bottom of that Racing Association of Miami's 'burrow pit' club lake - I'll never know.

For your build I would suggest a radio box that you could seal in the rear large enough for your radio equipment -1/16 birch ply or fiberglass if you can find one to fit. Put that radio box as far forward as you can get it. I would suggest an 8 ounce Sullivan Slant plastic fuel tank, close to the engine as you can get. Is that a K&B 21 in your boat or a K&B 45 - I can't tell from the pis. In either case, I'd replace that long velocity stack with an appropriate size K&B carb, and eliminate the exhaust throttle for ease of operation.

Use some pool noodles for flotation so you won't push your luck.

I would be glad to provide you any other info I can. I think we "Olde Fartes" would enjoy seeing a Mini Hoss running again, so please take and post pics/ videos if you can.

Sorry about getting off topic with your thread. CHEERS !!! Bob

I'm quite sure someone on IW will have a appropriate K&B carb for you.

Hey Darin,

I don't have any pics of the radio installation we used back then. We used Kraft radios back then and KPS-11 servos that had no torque at all. How we ever turned these things - amazes me. The "BIB GUN" servo from Kraft was the 20H I believe - still not enough torque to write home about. We used airplane aireron mounts so that the two servos would lay on their sides and get the CG as low as possible. We used penny balloons as water tight boundries. Now that the laughter has subsided - that is all we had back then.

In answer to your initial question - I would run it as you have the hardware already set up for a Nostalgic representation as the plans describe.

We used to put the rudder, throttle servos, receiver and battery pack & switch in the rear of the hull and close the rear hatch /cowl down with a lot of 4-40 screws with a rubber seal to keep water out. Pool noodles were not available back then, so we didn't use anything for flotation. Why more didn't sink to the bottom of that Racing Association of Miami's 'burrow pit' club lake - I'll never know.

For your build I would suggest a radio box that you could seal in the rear large enough for your radio equipment -1/16 birch ply or fiberglass if you can find one to fit. Put that radio box as far forward as you can get it. I would suggest an 8 ounce Sullivan Slant plastic fuel tank, close to the engine as you can get. Is that a K&B 21 in your boat or a K&B 45 - I can't tell from the pis. In either case, I'd replace that long velocity stack with an appropriate size K&B carb, and eliminate the exhaust throttle for ease of operation.

Use some pool noodles for flotation so you won't push your luck.

I would be glad to provide you any other info I can. I think we "Olde Fartes" would enjoy seeing a Mini Hoss running again, so please take and post pics/ videos if you can.

Sorry about getting off topic with your thread. CHEERS !!! Bob

I'm quite sure someone on IW will have a appropriate K&B carb for you.
The motor is a Super Tiger 40 I believe and thanks for your suggestions. The back compartment in this hull is Very shallow which makes it difficult for mounting a fuel tank and the same with the servos , they`ve gotta lay down. I love the boat and plan to keep the hardware & running gear as you see it in the pictures.
default_smile.png

Hey Darin,

Same comment about engine if Super Tiger - use a carb instead of the exhaust throttle. The head looks like a K&B in pics.

Mount the fuel tank on the center line just forward of the engine.

That's why we used aileron mounts to mount the two servos on their sides. New standard size throttle servo and Standard high torque rudder servo can also be mounted usin R/C airplane aileron mounts, and will fit just fine.

Measure your hull one more time for me. The Lil Hoss for .40 size engines was 36" as I recall. The Mini Hoss for .21 size engines was about 32".

Your boat looks to be in Great shape for being around that long. I have more nicks and dings in me that you boat has. Good to see one again. CHEERS !!! Bob

I pulled this Associated "Lil Hoss III" hydro out today and decided to take some pics to share. This boat build was started when the boat was new and was never finished, never started, never seen water. This boat is 36" x 19" with a .21 Super Tiger engine and a full "Stinger" hardware kit which includes a motor mount, rudder assembly & throttle exhaust set up
very cool boat. These traditional 3-point hydro designs were uniquely cool looking. They had nice lines, with a clean low-profile cowling.

I can remember, probably around 1971 or 1972 or 1973, seeing Lil Hoss hydro's run locally here at Legg Lake, South El Monte, Calif.. As well as at the NAMBA Nationals in San Diego. They were somewhat popular, and were run as part of the regular open hydro classes (not "Sport 40" or whatever) if I'm correct?

I swear I can remember, in particular, a blue metal-flake boat exactly like yours, built and run by Jean Adams. It was powered by a Super Tigre X40 Marine engine and was very fast. If I come across the 35mm pictures I will post here.

Back