MOD VP for WCRA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

After a very strong showing of boats ( ModVP ) at the final Storm race last weekend, and speaking with all the drivers, There seems to be a lot of interest in running them during the WCRA events in 2011.

The reason for this thread is to see exactly who is committed to run them so we can show the powers that be, the class has a committed interest.
wink.gif

If you have yet to see these boats run, they are an extremely fun to drive and equally fun to watch. We proved that last weekend
cool.gif

Post a reply here if you plan to run one in 2011.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
After a very strong showing of boats ( ModVP ) at the final Storm race last weekend, and speaking with all the drivers, There seems to be a lot of interest in running them during the WCRA events in 2011.

The reason for this thread is to see exactly who is committed to run them so we can show the powers that be, the class has a committed interest.
wink.gif

If you have yet to see these boats run, they are an extremely fun to drive and equally fun to watch. We proved that last weekend
cool.gif

Post a reply here if you plan to run one in 2011.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
We will have at least 3 more new boats committed to run next year. New design Mod-VP hull comming.

I will definately field an entry. Not to hi-jack the effort but I hope we can keep 45 Outlaw in the mix also. Outboards are not represented as a whole in the district but strong enough to support classes on the west coast. My only hope is this Mod-Vp will evolve and stay a crazy drivers class. Kind of the outboard version of a "cracker box". like Rich & Shawn my roots are in the original creation of full size Mod VP since its inception back in 1981 at St. Louis.

Mic

I will definately field an entry. Not to hi-jack the effort but I hope we can keep 45 Outlaw in the mix also. Outboards are not represented as a whole in the district but strong enough to support classes on the west coast. My only hope is this Mod-Vp will evolve and stay a crazy drivers class. Kind of the outboard version of a "cracker box". like Rich & Shawn my roots are in the original creation of full size Mod VP since its inception back in 1981 at St. Louis.

Mic

Well thats at least 5 between the three of us-

Otto ? Hearle ? Mike ?

I agree about the Outlaw 45 as well Mic- Im working on my can setup for the Rossi so I can pull double duty with the Hornet
cool.gif

Nows the time to rally the cause !!!!

Andy

Sure is a fun class to run in, wish I had one myself!

Mic

Well thats at least 5 between the three of us-

Otto ? Hearle ? Mike ?

I agree about the Outlaw 45 as well Mic- Im working on my can setup for the Rossi so I can pull double duty with the Hornet
cool.gif

Nows the time to rally the cause !!!!

Andy

Last edited:
I'll have at least 3 boats to race Mod-vp..... the yellow one and two new boats
Andy beat me to my reply ,

Thats 8 .

Byrd if you get one who is gonna keep me in check on the stand for a pit man ??
wink.gif

Honestly guys, this is a very affordable way to have more fun than you can stand. As Mic said, sorta the J-Skiff or Crackerbox of outboards. I think this class could easily take off anywhere.

Andy

Yep! I just wish(i know that im gonna get beat up on this) that we could have ONE stinkin nitro class that ran a BOX STOCK motor...i know it will never happen, and it wont stop me from getting a MOD VP boat, as it is a really cool class...im just saying that i wish we could have just one...you know...set up, tuning, prop, driving...not just horsepower...okay, ill shut up...dont wanna get anyone mad at me! :rolleyes: :)

Thats 8 .

wink.gif

Honestly guys, this is a very affordable way to have more fun than you can stand. As Mic said, sorta the J-Skiff or Crackerbox of outboards. I think this class could easily take off anywhere.

Andy
Not likely that I will get one as the funds just aren't there so your safe Andy LOL! If I had one it would have to be Andy's LongBoard Boats hull my eyes sure like to looks of it!

Last edited:

Thats 8 .

wink.gif

Andy
Not likely that I will get one as the funds just aren't there so your safe Andy LOL! If I had one it would have to be Andy's LongBoard Boats hull my eyes sure like to looks of it!

I was thinking the same thing Ron, they really run well. Sorry Mark
wink.gif

Thats one of the things that makes the class so cool- You have several guys trying WAY different things with success.

IF I ever decide to go that route, I will re-gift mine to someone in the Dist that wanted to run the class.

Andy

Don't forget you can take any old 20-40 Mono and put a couple outside sponsons either WOF or Balsa. I have talked with Mark Poole and I cannot see any reason to not just let a plain OB/Mono run in this class. Got to be a few of them laying around. If you want it is pretty easy to unbolt a motor or with an extra lower run the same engine in Sport tunnel and Mod VP. If the classes get scheduled a few heats apart it would be a great way to encourage growth. We have taken the OS muffler off and replaced it with a tuned pipe between heats to run Mod 21 so moving a motor if mounts and linkages are the same would be easy. Heck you could run one motor and 2 hulls and enter Sport, Mod, and Mod-VP with one motor. Thats bang for your buck. Tower has Thunder Tigers for $220 and have a $20 off coupon. They run pretty well and have a good lower.

Mic

I don't know how many races you are talking about in a year but I would make it down for one or two. You know I will be there for the Storm races. ;)

Bill,

The OS on the back of my OMC was stock minus the head shim. Hell, it came out of the box the night before and was started for the first time Saturday morning! That joker was strolling down the straights. :D

Mike

Oh yeah, count me in too.

Awesome.
cool.gif

Thanks for the replies guys, It was pretty much a standard deal that if we had three boats in WCRA it would make class, but I was really hoping this would be a little more than just that.

I spoke with the host clubs and they are all for it as well.

Mod VP will live in WCRA in 2011
smile.gif

If the normal schedule holds that will give us 6 chances (including STORM) to run on the West coast of Fl next year, and just maybe enough exposure and interest in a dist class in 2012 ??

Andy

I'm going to make sure Hearl & otto have mod-vp rides..... Hearl and the yellow boat will probably be a normal sight... Get john hooked up with one of the newer boats, he got stuck with our old prototype..sorry man!!! My brother chris and I will be running em too.. so thats really four. I also have built some boats for local guys around here might be able to get them to come out as well. If someone is in a pinch and wants to race Mod-vp i'll work a deal ;) to help them get in a hull.. Its funny, Mic, me and chris were talking about doing a pad-v bottom for the class. I already have a design and CAD files for a boat very similar to an allison. thats why we call them mini's..

The standing rule for WCRA was 3 boats make a class, if we can get the clubs to participate in WCRA seems to be the bigger issue. STRA and WCRA could co-exist with a little elbow grease.

Bill, Drakes motor in stock is stock, and FYI it went 71mph on a vanHouten designed O/B Hydro. Mike said his was bone stock, and flew. I took a out of the box OS the night before the 2006 NAMBA Nats in Broward and finished 2nd behind Otto, with a bone stock OS (passed teardown).I won't beat ya up, there's a reason you were there, to have fun. Wished you would have come back Sunday, I know it's hard to tear yourself away from the real world.

Yep! I just wish(i know that im gonna get beat up on this) that we could have ONE stinkin nitro class that ran a BOX STOCK motor...i know it will never happen, and it wont stop me from getting a MOD VP boat, as it is a really cool class...im just saying that i wish we could have just one...you know...set up, tuning, prop, driving...not just horsepower...okay, ill shut up...dont wanna get anyone mad at me! :rolleyes: :)

The MVP's are stock , but why are you so afraid to cut a little on the motors ?? When they were made at the factory they were covered in chips and have evolved through the years with port timing , head shape etc . How many times did you set up or build a boat per the directions and it either didn't work right or something else ,prop ,strut etc . It's just an engine , scatter it ..grind on it put it back together ..repeat ..thats racin !! :) :)

The standing rule for WCRA was 3 boats make a class, if we can get the clubs to participate in WCRA seems to be the bigger issue. STRA and WCRA could co-exist with a little elbow grease.

Bill, Drakes motor in stock is stock, and FYI it went 71mph on a vanHouten designed O/B Hydro. Mike said his was bone stock, and flew. I took a out of the box OS the night before the 2006 NAMBA Nats in Broward and finished 2nd behind Otto, with a bone stock OS (passed teardown).I won't beat ya up, there's a reason you were there, to have fun. Wished you would have come back Sunday, I know it's hard to tear yourself away from the real world.
Randy,WOW!I thank you for the enlightenment! :) I guess ive got ALOT of learnin to do! :) FOR SURE i had a GREAT time on Saturday just seein everybody and meetin people ive not raced with before...wish i could've been there Sunday....i just couldnt bring myself to missin her Bday party...i hope to see you at MANY more boat races and i WILL be bringin my tunnel(and maybe a ModVP soon) with me! ITS ALL GOOD, my friend! :)

The K&B on my Mod-VP has a little head button work but other than that it is untouched stock. One of the better K&B's I have had in a while. Very reliable too.

Back