Namba District 3 RTR Nitro Class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronratoff

Hi all - I was reading a post on the RTR's this morning on another section in this forum and I realized it would help to give you all a little history of what is going on with RTR Nitro racing.

This was a class I had been trying to get running for the past year and a half. It finally looks like it's time has come.

We started the RTR Nitro class at the Broward race because boats were just getting way to expensive for the novice and these RTR boat/radio combinations can be purchased from a number of sources for under $275.00.

I feel supporting a RTR Nitro class is important because it gives an inexpensive way to enjoy Namba District 3 racing. Old or new racers, I see this as a great way to promote our sport during the tough economic times we now face.

The first time we ran this class was at Broward's District 3 High Points race. We had good success with 6 boats entered. We then followed it up in Miami, again it was a success and great fun. We now had new racers running Namba District 3 racing.

Now, Orlando has stepped up to the plate and is promoting this new class as well.

RULES

The rules for the first few races have been simple. Any mods are allowed as long as the original hull remains and the motor remains an OS .18 engine or smaller. For the Pro Boat and Hobbico boats, that come with the .15 motor, that means they can substitute the .18 engine if they wish.

I will put temporary rules on our Namba District 3 site, and in the future, we will get more specific as needed.

Last, I would like to commend James from Twisted Liquid as he has step forward to promote this new class with prizes and awards for district 3, more on this to follow...

Also Robert aka "Big Slick" , a Broward Club member, who I asked to go to all the RTR forums and promote Namba District 3 RTR racing and let everyone know about the RTR Nitro class. He's been a big help to me on getting this class rolling, and I appreciate all his work....

Ron Ratoff ;)

Ron, This is the best news that ive heard in a long time for nitro boat racing!!! Matter of fact, ill bet within the next week ill have a miss vegas...but I really dont see how your rules could possibly ever work....cause thier too simple!!! (ha ha...just look at the insanity going on in the sport hydro class..what a shame..) is it possible that we will FINALLY have a STOCK SPEC class in model boat racing?I think you just made one! will the .18 motors be required to be stock? personally i hope so. Thanks for possibly making model boating affordable again, and for being considerate to the future of model boating....sincrely, Bill Gibson

Thanks Bill - The ones who deserve the applause are the clubs who are willing to open up there races to the RTR class, and the manufacturers that are getting wise to the economics of good quality yet inexpensive RTR Nitro boats. This is the best thing that's happened to our sport in a while, because it is reintroducing people to nitro boat racing.

As far as the motor's, right now, the few who put this together, decided on anything goes, as long as its the .18. This leaves out no one...In the future as there's enough for more than one class, there undoubtedly will be a need for a modified engine and a stock engine class.... But for now, my suggestion and what was done at the first 2 races was run what you brung racing...

Ron

If I may interject one thing that I have learned the hard way over the last 3 years as a hobby shop and indoor race track owner....

I started my indoor track and said hey let's get the cars in here by being pretty lenient with the rules and then as the numbers grow, we can split the classes and everyone will be happy. Of course everyone spent on a new car, brought it out and started making modifications until a year later we had 30+ cars that were in no way any where near stock and in various stages of modification.

So, as I stated to the group all along, we would begin to break the classes now that we had enough cars to do so and all HE!! broke loose. I lost drivers and the rest complained. On the one hand, my stock class that was inexpensive to start with was no longer inexpensive becuase of how far everyone had pushed things. On the other hand, I had people that had started modifications and spent money that now were no where near fast enough for the mod class and WAY to fast and modified for the stock class.....

I had to then convince 30 drivers that less was more. The people that had not spent yet or could not afford to spend were happy of course but those that had already spent and were going to have to remove their modifications and return to stock or spend more to keep up with the unlimited budget of a few were unhappy and some quit.

What I am trying to say is that since the class is new, it is easier to state the rules now and let people buy in to the new class and then ADD a class later if there are sufficient numbers that want a mod RTR class. You will have the ones that complain that they cant mod things, but hey there are PLENTY of classes where they can spend the money if they want. If they want a TRUE spec class where driver and setup makes the difference they will jump right in anyhow....

By the way, I did make everyone go back to stock. I did have a few get mad. I did have a few that quit. But the week that I did this I had 18 cars that were exactly the same speed and EVERYONE had a chance to win. That class is now bigger than it was and it is our most popular class to run.

Just a little experience in a different area of RC where the same things are going on.... the cost of running is killing the hobby and the day of the spec/stock rtr class is coming back on strong.

BTW, have you seen the Nitro SuperVee run? they got 36.8mph on a GPS in Kalamazoo the other day at the fun run. The only mod was the bronze prop vs the stock plastic...... Thats respectable racing speeds, specially when you get 6 or 8 of them on the water at the same time!!

Bill Van Kirk

His and Hers Hobbies

Last edited by a moderator:
If I may interject one thing that I have learned the hard way over the last 3 years as a hobby shop and indoor race track owner....
I started my indoor track and said hey let's get the cars in here by being pretty lenient with the rules and then as the numbers grow, we can split the classes and everyone will be happy. Of course everyone spent on a new car, brought it out and started making modifications until a year later we had 30+ cars that were in no way any where near stock and in various stages of modification.

So, as I stated to the group all along, we would begin to break the classes now that we had enough cars to do so and all HE!! broke loose. I lost drivers and the rest complained. On the one hand, my stock class that was inexpensive to start with was no longer inexpensive becuase of how far everyone had pushed things. On the other hand, I had people that had started modifications and spent money that now were no where near fast enough for the mod class and WAY to fast and modified for the stock class.....

I had to then convince 30 drivers that less was more. The people that had not spent yet or could not afford to spend were happy of course but those that had already spent and were going to have to remove their modifications and return to stock or spend more to keep up with the unlimited budget of a few were unhappy and some quit.

What I am trying to say is that since the class is new, it is easier to state the rules now and let people buy in to the new class and then ADD a class later if there are sufficient numbers that want a mod RTR class. You will have the ones that complain that they cant mod things, but hey there are PLENTY of classes where they can spend the money if they want. If they want a TRUE spec class where driver and setup makes the difference they will jump right in anyhow....

By the way, I did make everyone go back to stock. I did have a few get mad. I did have a few that quit. But the week that I did this I had 18 cars that were exactly the same speed and EVERYONE had a chance to win. That class is now bigger than it was and it is our most popular class to run.

Just a little experience in a different area of RC where the same things are going on.... the cost of running is killing the hobby and the day of the spec/stock rtr class is coming back on strong.

BTW, have you seen the Nitro SuperVee run? they got 36.8mph on a GPS in Kalamazoo the other day at the fun run. The only mod was the bronze prop vs the stock plastic...... Thats respectable racing speeds, specially when you get 6 or 8 of them on the water at the same time!!

Bill Van Kirk

His and Hers Hobbies We are offering the RTR 18 class in June hope to see lots of these boats Funny our Corporate Sponsor this year is ProBoat maybe they will send us a boat Mike

I like the Idea of RTR class but, I have been to the first 2 races this season in district 4 IMPBA and both races had 1 each different people racing Miss Vegas and placed in sport 20. This past weekend was our club race and the Vegas was really moving it was just a click behind a nice sport 20 from a very good respectable driver. So the question is should this RTR class be limited to novice, and stock? This weekends Vegas had a nicer OS .18 and a different tuned pipe and prop and turnfin thats it. The point is this boat can be competitive in the sport 20 class with a good driver, but that good driver would kill the RTR class. Just something to think about.

Paul

I like the Idea of RTR class but, I have been to the first 2 races this season in district 4 IMPBA and both races had 1 each different people racing Miss Vegas and placed in sport 20. This past weekend was our club race and the Vegas was really moving it was just a click behind a nice sport 20 from a very good respectable driver. So the question is should this RTR class be limited to novice, and stock? This weekends Vegas had a nicer OS .18 and a different tuned pipe and prop and turnfin thats it. The point is this boat can be competitive in the sport 20 class with a good driver, but that good driver would kill the RTR class. Just something to think about.

Paul
Paul,

I don't believe any of the rtr boats meet existing NAMBA rules for the Sport 21 class as they come from the box. If they did, there wouldn't be a need to try to create yet another class. This may not be true for you IMPBA guys. I don't know the specific IMPBA rules.

My personal opinion is that this class, if it continues, should be run at events such as WCRA, FGRS, club races and not District Hgh Points series races. After all, how long can a racer run this "beginner" class and still be considered a beginner?

My Opinion.

The difference between a .18 RTR and sport 20 is that the cost should be considerably lower. Along with the other .21 based classes, Sport 20 has no limits on the cost of engines. The high price of playing in this size, is one of many reasons why they have declined. I like the idea of classes where people can compete without having to blow $400 on an engine. While a .18 Miss Vegas may be able to occasionally luck their way into the top 3 in sport 21, it can't be counted on to happen on a regular basis. I'd love to have a viable sport 20 class in my district, but the high costs have moved many of the .21 mono and hydro racers to other classes. Perhaps the .18 RTRs will win back some interest in smaller nitro...

Paul
Paul,

I don't believe any of the rtr boats meet existing NAMBA rules for the Sport 21 class as they come from the box. If they did, there wouldn't be a need to try to create yet another class. This may not be true for you IMPBA guys. I don't know the specific IMPBA rules.
The Miss Vegas meets the rules for IMPBA Sport 20.

Chuck,

For way less money then a 21 the Vegas can AND IS competitive with the sport 20 boats.. Ask Mikey S..

One can go realy fast for 89 bucks and a good prop..

Grim

Chuck,
For way less money then a 21 the Vegas can AND IS competitive with the sport 20 boats.. Ask Mikey S..

Grim
Grim Spanked the sport 20 boys with a 18 motor Next time its gonna be haircut time.. 89 bucks it was a rocket,course Grimm got tons of rpm out of it..............

Chuck,

...And perhaps those warranty voiding mods that have yet to be made public? ;)

Guys this is just my opinion, but I hope everyone gets my point -

District 3 events which are showcasing the new RTR Nitro class allow the low buck AND beginner racer to join in the fun of Namba District 3 racing on a budget level they can afford. Any age, any talent, it gets them racing again.

Any way you cut it ,either gas or nitro racing, $1000 is easy to spend to build a competitive RC boat.

So look at RTR Nitro as the new low buck nitro racing class. A percentage of these Nitro RTR racers will no doubt get the urge to get into other nitro boats after competing with the RTR's. But even if they don't, look at all the new blood we've gotten into our sport.

Any way you cut it. the RTR Nitro's can provide the momentum back in nitro boats.

We need to welcome these new racers, answer there nitro and boat racing questions and help them feel the organizations promoting RC boating be it Namba or Impba, want them to join in. What ever we do, do not make them feel they do not belong.

Ron Ratoff

Namba District 3

With Proboat coming out with the Formula hydro, it sholud put it more on a level (size wise) playing field againt the Miss Vegas and should be allowed to be retrofitted into the older boats.

I like the idea of the rtr class as a stock out of the box racing idea.... I would hate to see it portrayed or represented as the novice or entry level only class.

Some of the funnest racing that we do is the stock out of the box racing. The best drivers are limited by the HP that the stock item can make, and the newby has the same amount of HP. Driving skill comes in to play. In a very short time the new driver has just as much of a chance to win as the experienced drivers.

The problem I have seen so far with our RTR novice class that we run up here is the fact that if you race the novice class you cant run anything else. which in itself is fine up to the point where not enough boats show up to run the class. Now the newby gets forced in to the "mod" class if they want to play or they take their boat home and dont get to play at all. Discouraging when your only choice is to get your butt handed to you when forced up due to the lack of boats, or go home due to lack of boat entries.

many drivers experienced or not would drive the class if it were open to all drivers, but restricted to stock out of the box.... this is how to ensure that there are enough drivers to make sure that the new boater does not go home disappointed that they couldnt play.......

Just my thoughts.

Bill

Guys,

I have seen the RTR nitro hydro's (Miss Vegas) at races and being demonstrated. Has there been any interest in, or any races being run, with RTR nitro monos?

If a club was interesting in offering an RTR class(es), which one(s) would bring in the most interest? Our club has a race in October and we are considering offering a class but are not sure which one(s) has the highest interest(s).

As a related topic for it, would the FE guys fit in with it and how can it be a level playing field if it is an open RTR?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you kidding me Chuck.. typical comment... you know chuck spending time at the pond can get you WAY larger gains then any motor work might get ya..

Only change to the motor was to block off one of the water outlets and drill a hole in the top of the head for the water exit.. The motor in my boat is not in a cowl.. That way its easy to see if im getting cooling..

Big Fun

Grim

John, I've got the Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro and it would be a good candidate for a RTR mono boat. There are others also that fit into the category.

I ran mine against the Super-Vee 27 brushless version last Saturday and we ran neck-and-neck.

Are you kidding me Chuck.. typical comment... you know chuck spending time at the pond can get you WAY larger gains then any motor work might get ya..
Grim, more than once it's been said by either you or Russ that mods are being done to this engine. Nothing was ever written about it because it was said they'd void the warranty. That's the reason for my comment. Why do you feel the need to write antagonistic responses to such a simple comment?

Guys,
I have seen the RTR nitro hydro's (Miss Vegas) at races and being demonstrated. Has there been any interest in, or any races being run, with RTR nitro monos?

If a club was interesting in offering an RTR class(es), which one(s) would bring in the most interest. Our club has a race in October and we are considering offering a class but are not sure which one(s) has the highest interest(s).

As a related topic for it, would the FE guys fit in with it and how can it be a level playing field if it is an open RTR?
John, it's too bad you couldn't make our race, we ended up with 5 people running RTR hydros.

Latest posts

Back