Thunder Tiger .21 O/B

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxracer

I have come across a Thundertiger .21R outboard engine. I was curious as to what is the difference between it and the current .21M outboard engine as far as age, specs, ect. I would also like to know why isn't it approved as a stock engine seeing as it looks just like the .21M. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

~Mitch Jr.

jaxracer said:
I have come across a Thundertiger .21R outboard engine. I was curious as to what is the difference between it and the current .21M outboard engine as far as age, specs, ect. I would also like to know why isn't it approved as a stock engine seeing as it looks just like the .21M. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
~Mitch Jr.

106850[/snapback]

Mitch, all the TT OB motors I've owned (which are MANY) have "PRO 21R" on the side of the case and "PRO-21M-OB" on the box,,All of them. I see no reason that they couldn't be run in stock class,,,but they all came with .023in headspace with a .010in removable head shim which still left you with .013 headspace and a head button "bubble" with way too much volume. They also came with different gear ratio's right from the factory,, I suppose a stock engine with the shim removed

and a lower gearset running on 60% nitro could yield a good running stock engine

cause they really want to Rev,,it's just getting it to rev is the key. I never ran one much in stock form, I just noticed that they had high RPM potential and I helped them out with a pipe but I really wished I would have experimented with them a little more in the stock area,,there may be something there :huh:

Jerry,

We did.. lots of testing..

The motor would just not make the power in stock fourm.. head changes, gear changes and prop after prop..

We did get the motor to 40+ MPH but it was a battle. The small carb and the small EX hole are just to hard to over come.

Grimracer

Hey Grim, Thanks for that, now I don't have to wonder anymore about that. They will run good modified like I have them now, going to radar it soon,, I'll guess "55"

MPH,, any Bet's??

TT's engine naming convention is;

Pro = Ballraced, GP = Plain bearing.

21R means it is a rear exhaust engine (think in terms of car engines)

M means it is a water cooled head (m for marine)

The powerhead is evolved from the PRO21BX-P buggy engine, with a different crankshaft and a PTO fitted. Most other parts are the same.

Jerry Wyss said:
Hey Grim, Thanks for that, now I don't have to wonder anymore about that. They will run good modified like I have them now, going to radar it soon,, I'll guess "55"MPH,, any Bet's??

106901[/snapback]

I will take that bet....48 to 51... i would be very suprized if the motor went 55..

Grim

Jerry Wyss said:
AlRight! Yu Da Man Grim, Your On! :lol: What's the "stakes",,$?,,Snickers Bar??What?

106990[/snapback]

Jerry.. OK but i do not eat snicker bars to you would have to send me a pack of soy nuts or rice cakes.. But the bet is on...

Grim

Maybe 55 in the truck or trailor. :p Not the pond I will take some of it.

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, We're gunna find out,, I'd like to know too :) Rice Cakes! Yuk! but cheap :p

Sorry I made a mess of your topic Mitch Jr :ph34r:

Mine ran 54mph in mod form several years ago as well as winning a nationals in the same year - but I guess I must have been talking s#1t.

I admit it is not easy and it took me years of work and testing to get there, but it is definately possible.

Show 'em it can be done Jerry.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Atta Boy Tim! I'm gunna be in the Australian Pit's the next time they come to the States :lol: Better start gettin' in beer drinkin' shape Now :p

Jerry Wyss said:
Well, We're gunna find out,, I'd like to know too :) Rice Cakes! Yuk! but cheap :p Sorry I made a mess of your topic Mitch Jr :ph34r:

107008[/snapback]

It's alright, but hey guys thanks for the input. It was just an old motor(turns counter clockwise) and I never recieved a box. I might try some expirementing :ph34r: . lol. Thanks again.

~Mitch

CAN YOU TAKE THE POWER HEAD OFF AND USE ON A K&B LOWER OR LAWLESS? NEVER SEEN ONE RUN JUST WONDERING?

ALLEN

aamick1971 said:
CAN YOU TAKE THE POWER HEAD OFF AND USE ON A K&B LOWER OR LAWLESS? NEVER SEEN ONE RUN JUST WONDERING?  ALLEN

107153[/snapback]

Allen, If your talking about putting a Thunder Tiger (TT) powerhead on a K&B or Lawless lower, the answer is No. The TT turns the same direction as an Inboard Engine,,The TT's have 2 spiral bevel gears in 'em to make 'em turn Left Hand props. :huh:

Latest posts

Back