cable tie tension

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Side cutters, rock it tight, then cut off excess.
default_cool.png

I like to hold the locking head in place with one hand, then pull the band using pliers with the other hand. When its tight, I cut the excess flush with the lock using a razor or actual flush cutters. If you leave some hanging out, your bound to cut yourself on it later...

Zip tie guns work great too but they can be pricey and its another thing to carry in your tool box.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a tool used in a bicycle store called a fourth hand. It costs about $15.00 but it makes it really easy to tighten zip ties.

My mistake. I looked it up and that tool is $45.00. I paid about $15.00 for mine but that was 20 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember the white ty rap brand ties are not rated for high heat and will loosen once the exhaust coupler warms up above 250-300 degrees. Plus the sun itself does weaken them over time. They make a version that withstands heat up to 500 degrees and has a copper tooth to lock tension in snug. We use these in the phone industry to suspend cables on poles.

Just remember the white ty rap brand ties are not rated for high heat and will loosen once the exhaust coupler warms up above 250-300 degrees. Plus the sun itself does weaken them over time. They make a version that withstands heat up to 500 degrees and has a copper tooth to lock tension in snug. We use these in the phone industry to suspend cables on poles.
Thomas & Betts makes a tool to tighten the ties and it is adjustable for different tensions, I have had mine for about 15 years, I don't know if they are still made, I think I paid about $25.00 .

Walt Barney

Thomas & Betts makes a tool to tighten the ties and it is adjustable for different tensions, I have had mine for about 15 years, I don't know if they are still made, I think I paid about $25.00 .

Walt Barney

Thomas and Betts make a version of a Ty Rap tensioner and flush trimmer ERG50. Great tool. Use it daily. Cinches as tight as the brand of cable tie will allow then cuts flush. no sharp edges.... But I think they are 150 - 200$ T&B makes all type of cable ties. Some sunlight resistant (black). The white or tan are nylon, sorta all purpose. I had the company order some that were high heat rated. They are a translucent greenish yellow pkg. Almost a clear chartruese color, good for a few a runs on a nitro boat.

IMG_20171109_075334732.jpg

Latest posts

Back