Dope

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

Got your attention didn't I. Has anyone used the old fashioned model a/c dope on their boats? Will it hold up to nitro fuels that we use?

Got your attention didn't I. Has anyone used the old fashioned model a/c dope on their boats? Will it hold up to nitro fuels that we use?

You could.... but you need a good base with any paint system anyway.... I use dope products on my precision aerobatic stunters. You would end up having to use automotive clear to protect it as dope will not stand up to any amount of nitro on the finish. Even 5% nitro fuel will cause problems if left on..... I would not even attempt to use dope....on a boat.

Hot Fuel Proof Dope is what it said on the label,used it on some models when I was a kid, Haven't seen any in hobby shops in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aero-Gloss is still sold. It is "Hot Fuel Proof" and means it can stand up to exhaust residue - trace amounts of fuel but I've used it on airplanes and does okay up to 15%. Look for butyrate, not nitrate dope if your looking for fuel proofness. There is a hot fuel proofer clear that ISNT dope that you can spray over decals and dope to further fuel proof it. Not a very good alternative these days.

A good, cellulose-based varnish has been recommended by Dumas in the past in their finishing instructions. Not a bad way to go if using lower nitro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back