OT: "System Tool" virus

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Brown

It's got our main computer jammed up. Can't access Internet or e-mail accounts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

If your computer is still functional download the free version of AVG anti virus and also download malware bytes you can get these both at download.com

After downloading the avg run a full computer scan of your c drive.

And when u download malwarebytes run the fuLl scan.

But is the virus is deep in your registry keys you might need to reboot your hard drive.

Hope this helps.

I'll be perfectly honest with you.

99% of people who have gotten this has had to wipe their pc and re-install the OS. Here's why.

When you attempt to launch your anti virus software (or any other app for that matter), this type of malware often stops the process and tells you that it is infected and that it has stopped it for you. (how kind of them...) it is not really infected at all.

Essentially leaving you with no way to get rid of it. You can try to boot into safe mode (F5) as that only starts a minimal set of processes to get the desktop up, and pray that it is not in the safe mode bootstrap. but if you are not familiar with editing the registry, you run a real risk of doing nothing more than making things worse. This is the main reason that you should purchase an external drive and save EVERYTHING to that drive. so when something like this happens, it's a relatively simple task of re-installing the OS and the apps you have on the pc. This leaves your data on a drive you can move from pc to pc.

The best way to not get this virus is to stay away from the questionable pooty, cheat code, and music download sites. But then again if you can't control everyone who uses the pc then the best way is mentioned above.

My son got it on his pc about a month ago, and after three days of fighting it, I gave up and wiped the box. (Not tooting my own horn here but, mind you I am an IT guy by trade, and REALLY do know my $hit.) It really all boils down to this;

Is the data on the pc worth the effort to to try and clean it. if it is you can slave the drive in a another box and scan the drive and clean it that way. If not just wipe it and start all over again.

Then get GOOD anti virus software like McAfee VirusScan Enterprise and install Windows Defender as well. Forget AVG (junk) Symantec/Norton (junk), and Malwarebytes (more junk).

And buy an external drive to save everything to.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks,

Andy
Andy See if you can do a (System restore) some times it will let you do it, most times the virus shots system restore down :angry: Go to programs,Accessorys,system tools,system restore.

hope it helps.

Nick

Andy, I went through the exact same thing you did. My computer got infected with the system tool virus and I had to find a way to removed it without resetting my computer. Follow this link http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nTddj3jioQQ and I guarantee it will remove it for you as long as you follow it to the T(YOU MUST RUN YOUR COMPUTER IN SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING FOR THIS TO WORK! and then run your regular antivirus scan after. It's free and it only took me about 5 minutes or so and the system tool virus was gone.I'm no computer whiz i'm just the average Joe and this worked for me! :) :)

Tried the Malwarebytes this weekend. Didn't work, but I'll keep at it with other methods.

Thanks

is it simmliar to window32? I have that poping up my my hubby computer.. has AVAST system,,it keeps alarting me has stop window32,,thinking it a virus because that when we started to have proublems.. wont let windows do any update/wont down load. then it pops up and takes me off the net..have to restart the computer again..I know how to reload the computer but dont know how to do a complete system dump..this computer is very fast and better then the one I'm usally use..its a dell optical270 slim tower.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy if you can start in safe mode with networking this is the answer for you!

Start in Safe Mode with Networking, Download http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ and http://www.malwarebytes.org/. then run both. That should take care of it.

Good Luck!
I used the Malwarebytes in safemode with networking, but that didn't do it. I've been reading that this is a tough virus.

I'll keep trying.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Thanks,

Andy
If you can, read this: http://www.spyware-experts.com/system-tool-removal/?gclid=CIOq8riq8qYCFQPhbgodv3rxFw

Malwarebytes is good but it won't get rid of this one. AVG I wouldn't bother. Buy PC Tools Internet security 2011. It will find it, destroy it and keep destroying virus, worms, trojans etc.

This virus is a real bad one. It will steal stuff from your pc like passwords, any info.

Shame you have to spend, but the free download only detects the issues but not clean them.

SUPERAntisptware will take care of it. I use this with the AGV free and have had no problems.

David
agv dont block everything..this why Im having proublems too.. got advast and it keeps blocking and saying malicious URL blocked..C/windows/system32/svchost.exe you guys have that happend to you? Andy i'm not trying to higjack your thread..just wondering if we both have the same virus? looked at you tube video,had that happend to me 4 times.. I'd unpluged the computer before that try to dowmload to my computer.

Or just run Linux.... you can use a live Linux cd to get wanted files off a dead Windows install as well. I've helped several friends by giving them a live Linux cd.

Or just run Linux.... you can use a live Linux cd to get wanted files off a dead Windows install as well. I've helped several friends by giving them a live Linux cd.
you guys should check this out.. ..saw this on ebay.on anti virus and program section in computer programs.go down the page and clic the dave anti virus you tube video..very interesting video

Wow! I feel like a new boater asking question about boats and motors. I don't know where to turn! :blink:

...but thanks to everyone for the input! I'll look into trying some of the suggestions.

Wow! I feel like a new boater asking question about boats and motors. I don't know where to turn! :blink:

...but thanks to everyone for the input! I'll look into trying some of the suggestions.

Andy, Dont pay for Daves video, don't pay for McAfee or Norton or PC Tools they do not work! Do visit Microsoft they will help you clear your virus infected computer for FREE.

Go Here: http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&c1=509&

In my earlier post I stated to run both Malware bytes and Microsoft Security Essentials not just one but both. However just hook up with Microsoft at the link above they will help you out!

Last edited:
I agree with bill the avg is free and so is malware.but some times the free things. You should just take your computer to it guy and have them reboot the drive.sometimes they can save your files sometimes you can't.

With all respect to everyone. :) Avg, malwarebytes, security essentials will not get rid of system tool virus.

The system tool virus will lay dormant on your pc like a reoccurring wart. Whether it is now, next boot or whenever, you will have major issues accessing control panel, restore, run command, internet, email, in fact most programs. It will bring you to tears!

Please read my first post.

Thanks,

Andy
Andy,

last time I had a virus scare, I used the restore feature in windows vista...it worked very well, just had to choose a date before the infection date and it was all good...

I hope it works for you,

Len

Back