Titanium and Aluminium Pistons and hardened sleeves

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xtremarine,

3%, huh? Well, that should fairly well end this thread. Most stock cast pistons are around 17-22% Si, and the 30% Si material that I and Ranjit Phelan/Paul Stirton are using has proven itself time and again to be the material of choice for our piston application.

BTW,

I don't maintain a habit of stomping on someone else's "For Sale" thread (in fact, I think everyone knows my general position on the matter), but turn-around is fair play...........

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Well took.

I perfer 0%Si but the cost is higher than titanium..

Im sure you make better pistons and mine always fails. I just offer a piston(s) for the average guy or girl. And piston for motors that are extinct..

Thanks for the sat.morning stomping.

"Titan Racing Components" Dont see you in Thomas registry.

you must only be a racing god here on this forum Hope you come across 1 of my 7.8s and get dusted

that would make me proud.

Gene

Xtremarine inc.

Division of Primo Tool & Die <<<<<< Thats Over $3m a year sales and a life time member in the APBA and also owns a Sonic 31ss with a Pair of SC1000s..

where your company ...in your basement :rolleyes:

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Ive been making pistons for a few years now average about 30 sets a month its a side thing.

My company make Stamping Die's for the automotive industry. thats the real bread and butter.

when the Mazak is open I bust a few sets out...

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanium Pistons? :blink:

I thought that when the piston and liner gets warm it............never mind.

:)

-Buck-

So brad if you lose a race (not that a god like you would) look at the winning boat and just wonder is that really a 7.5cc~~~~~~~or a 3hp 7.8..

Xtremarine,

3%, huh? Well, that should fairly well end this thread. Most stock cast pistons are around 17-22% Si, and the 30% Si material that I and Ranjit Phelan/Paul Stirton are using has proven itself time and again to be the material of choice for our piston application.

BTW,

I don't maintain a habit of stomping on someone else's "For Sale" thread (in fact, I think everyone knows my general position on the matter), but turn-around is fair play...........

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

YEP!

That was the purpose of my question Brad. Anybody that advertieses "aircraft aluminum" pistons for our egines is either covering something up or is very misinformed.

3% silicon will work in a ringed engine with lots of piston to wall clearence, but Never in an "interference" fit P/L assembly.

Andy, Terry, Brad, Are you smelling what I'm smelling? <_<

Dave
Dave,

I can smell that very pungent odor here in my shop also. What I'm wondering is, why post totally incorrect information such as this? It doesn't help anyone trying to find necessary spare parts needed to stay in the hobby.

Jim :angry: :angry:

Roquefort? :eek:

Terry, I think its something a little fresher than that. :D

Jim, Its beyond me why this kind of false information is promoted. It probably fools some people into parting with their money, but can't be good for the hobby.

Dave

So brad if you lose a race (not that a god like you would) look at the winning boat and just wonder is that really a 7.5cc~~~~~~~or a 3hp 7.8..
Extremarine,

A wll tuned NovaRossi 21LS (3.5cc) puts out almost 3HP, some maybe more. I can point you toward a shop FULL of nearly 6HP Picco Blackhead 45's (7.5cc). Don't get too proud......... ;)

BTW, I'm no god, here or anywhere. I get beat quite often. I win a few along the way, too. In fact, I've beaten a few I didn't think I could.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Extremarine,

A wll tuned NovaRossi 21LS (3.5cc) puts out almost 3HP, some maybe more. I can point you toward a shop FULL of nearly 6HP Picco Blackhead 45's (7.5cc). Don't get too proud......... ;)

BTW, I'm no god, here or anywhere. I get beat quite often. I win a few along the way, too. In fact, I've beaten a few I didn't think I could.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
:lol: And I get beat too, and so does Dave, and Jimmy does not always get 32K plus out of his bar stock 90's, but we all know what is needed to build good Pistons.

And BTW EX guy, Your site states something about top of the line racing parts. Now you are saying average guys and girls. So which is it now? :huh:

Extremarine,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
I see i dont fit in this forum..

I just make good quailty piston and sleeves never had a complaint.. Aircraft quality alum. w low Si take the cold to hot then to cold better without getting brittle.. maybe why NASa uses it among serious race car drivers..2618 (less than 0.25 percent), which reduces thermal expansion, improves lubricity and scuff resistance. The 3100 and theT61 alloy, by comparison, is a low silicon alloy so it has a higher coefficient of thermal expansion and much more tendency to scuff. But it is about a 10-15 percent stronger material and is typically the alloy of choice for serious racing, marine engines, and boosted and bottle-fed engines that produce a lot of heat in the combustion chamber. However, these pistons are not to be used for street or mild racing applications where they won't be replaced routinely.

But then again why do I waste me time talking to a bunch of dreamers and wanna be Metallurgy.. I know my business. not like you basement wanna be's with your coffee can dyno's

get a book on metallurgy.....atleast and quit talking out your butts theres young people here trying to learn dont steer them in your basement technology... the old way is not always the rite way..cast is not the best, sorry to busrt your little bubbles

I see i dont fit in this forum....

But then again why do I waste me time talking to a bunch of dreamers and wanna be Metallurgy.. I know my business. not like you basement wanna be's with your coffee can dyno's

get a book on metallurgy.....atleast
Some good advice on a non-racing racer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's funny is that Brad actually machines parts for NASA and you are trying to tell him what he does. I also like throse non-existent photos of your products. Maybe you are also a non-machining machinist.

That's want to be metallurgist.

Way to promote your business and make some new friends dude. :blink:

-Buck-

Extremarine,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
I see i dont fit in this forum..

I just make good quailty piston and sleeves never had a complaint.. Aircraft quality alum. w low Si take the cold to hot then to cold better without getting brittle.. maybe why NASa uses it among serious race car drivers..2618 (less than 0.25 percent), which reduces thermal expansion, improves lubricity and scuff resistance. The 3100 and theT61 alloy, by comparison, is a low silicon alloy so it has a higher coefficient of thermal expansion and much more tendency to scuff. But it is about a 10-15 percent stronger material and is typically the alloy of choice for serious racing, marine engines, and boosted and bottle-fed engines that produce a lot of heat in the combustion chamber. However, these pistons are not to be used for street or mild racing applications where they won't be replaced routinely.

I have a good friend who manufactures Aftermarket Racing pistons for most racing engines (Chevy Ford and so on.) I visit his shop often. He uses 2618. This is strong stuff and works well in those applications, but they require hugh amounts of clearence to work. He even has a set in his Ford Bronco (daily driver) but it takes 30 mins. of run time before the noise from piston slap becomes minimal.

EX dude! The 2618 and the 3100 will NOT work in our engines with any kind of real performance.

Yes it could be made to work (and that's if you know how to taper the piston correctly) but they will not work well.

No photos of your pistons + No complaints = No customers in my book. ;)

Considering the number of K&B 7.5's in use today, I would say the above statement is not far off.

You'll be far better off tending to your $3M business then hanging out in here trying to sell oversized pistons for K&B 7.5's.

Joe

Sounds to me that Xtremarine behind a deck person. I bet he doe's not run his own pistons.

My .002 cents

Joe

Sounds to me that Xtremarine behind a deck person. I bet he doe's not run his own pistons.

My .002 cents
its a new web site it under construction you guys are rough Im not scamming people just trying to help out the old K&B guys thats it ... and im just getting smack down left and right . I asked if they could take down this topic..

Sorry to post on your forum Im not part of the click I quess.

Gene

Joe

My .002 cents
its a new web site it under construction you guys are rough Im not scamming people just trying to help out the old K&B guys thats it ... and im just getting smack down left and right there going to take this topic down by my request..

Sorry to try and post on your forum Im not part of the click I quess.

Gene
No Cliques here! We always welcome new guys AND we always look out for the best interest of new guys because it is important to our hobby.

There are 2500 of us here and no Cliques. If we think someone New or Old is passing improper information, someone on here who is knowlegeble in the specific area will always ask important questions.

The alloys that work well for us in cast form contain 17 to 21% silicon. As you seem to know forged pistons are even better. Novarossi and Kalistratov use Forgings. Some make billet pistons with alloys containing anywhere from 14% silicon(Eutectic) to 32% silicon (Hypereutectic)...just to for a little metilurgical nomanclature. ;)

Anyway, just wondering who those "real racers running Xtremarine Components" are.

Probably for the best…..B.S. doesn’t fly for long in here lest it’s taken away on the feet of flies. You’ve received the “smackdown” from very knowledgeable folks…sorry to see you go so soon.

This forum is no clique…I can attest that most of the folks that have posted in this thread would like to see me go away …..much more than you would think. I would invite you to “hang around” since there are plenty of folks here that will teach you if you want to learn.

I may be stepping out on a limb but …….I would think there is a place here for anyone who really wants to contribute and preserve the hobby. To me, this is apparent from the above posts.

You better check what pistons are made of.

Your pistons in a RC Boat, would be a piece of junk.

You need to have good pistons checked for silicon in them.

Good motors are around 17%.

You better do some more home work, before you make pistons!!!!

Norris Sparks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back