State of Affairs for RC Boat Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say leave the classes alone. Run as many engines you would like in a class with as many props as you want so long as all of it is tied to a drive of some type and fit that class engine size. Run sport, scale, or tunnel and any hydro class so long as they fit the engine or engines size.

This is what we have now and it has work for all of these years.
DING! DING! DING! DING! Give that man a big cigar!!!

And how is that working out NOW ?????????????????????

Same old same old with the same old people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to get more involved than CHANGE or go the way of the dinosaur.

I say leave the classes alone. Run as many engines you would like in a class with as many props as you want so long as all of it is tied to a drive of some type and fit that class engine size. Run sport, scale, or tunnel and any hydro class so long as they fit the engine or engines size.

This is what we have now and it has work for all of these years.
I like that but still can't run a sport 40 with twin 21 engines because the rules say you can't regardless if you will meet the engine displacement rule ??? That kinda don't make sense to me. It's still a sport 40 with 21's.

Just my opinion

It is called invention. To build and make work anything that will work in the rules. I believe you have been doing the same thing with the motors you been putting bigger sleeves into. INVENTION

When I started there was not a lot of parts. A few of us starting making parts for our boats. Bill McGraw would come along and ask if he could copy it and we said sure. I pull the motor mount out of my boat that I set the oval record with in 1986 at the Internats before I set the record. This became the Speed Master Motor mount that everyone has used. Myself and a few others made the some of the first part that Bill turned into products that he called Speed Master. And the list is long.

This topic is about how to create more interest/get new people involved and make competition better with all the classes being offered not next years nats or eng displacement. Im not bitching about how long it takes to run all the classes im bitching about the lack of competition because of all the classes we have added the past 5-10 years. i was just trying to figure out why mutil eng class was added and not just adjust the current fhydro rules to allow any twin to run fhydro? because that is what created the single eng class so now we have 3 classes being offered with no competition except for at 1-2 races a year... wouldn't it make sense to just run all the boats in fhydro 1 class that would create more entries in the class which makes the competition better.. but nope the 101 twins arent allowed in f so we created a whole new class for them... then the single f guys now want there own class with no twins... I guess im the only one who think this is idiotic?? Sure at the big races like Hobart and the nitro winter nats yeah run all three f/single f / and muti eng because the competition will be there. As far as next years US-1 nats "being a waste of time"? thats the kind of thinking that is hurting our hobby.... I dont think its a waste of time i think its friggin awesome, the new nitro nats format wasnt working and trust me i know i went to the last 2 of them 14&16 and the boat count was less than great to say the least...

Last edited by a moderator:
But the list of new people in the hobby is not............................................Same old same old....................................

Lets all reminisce over the way it use to be and close are eyes to what it is now.

I have never been in favor of a boat being able to run in 2 difference classes like it is with these.
Ok so with that line of thinking then if a guy wants to run his sport 40 in 40 hydro you're gonna tell him/her no? Or if someone wants to run their 1/8th scale in 60 hydro (seen this numerous times in the past) no to that too? Or a sport 20 in 20 hydro (Right Bradley M.)?? 100% wrong answer. It's that kind of thinking that hurts the hobby not helps it. What's more enticing to a racer, especially a new one or one on a limited hobby budget than the ability to run one boat in more than one class. One of the reasons I like going to Hobart every year (besides the solid competition) is if I choose I can run my twin in 3 classes (F hydro, multi engine and unlimited). This cutting official classes approach will not solve anything. If it's a problem in your area set class entry minimums and a cut off date so if they don't hit the mark you drop the class. Gee how simple is that???? Some of you ***** about how much time it takes to run the classes and yet want to run the old Internats US-1 format where everyone runs time trials and you spend 2 1/2 to 3 days doing that. Why waste so much time when the emphasis is and always has been placed on heat racing with total heat racing points being DOUBLED! It's not rocket science to know if you're not top 5 or 6 in heat racing you're not going to win a US-1.
**** this is gonna be a looong winter, as Kevin said not even snow on the ground yet and the cabin fever stuff is already starting........
AMEN excalty what I have been saying and also if a new beginner builds a boat that can run two classes that will draw more attention to the hobby.... just like I spent over 1200 to buy 2 new .90's so I can run my twin in two classes... turning people away from a hobby will kill it

Some time ago, I came to this realization - our hobby is in a state of decline, think most can agree on that, many spend time and energy thinking about and coming up with potential fixes but most fall short or as this thread proves, it's rare to find any two that might agree on literally anything, forget ever arriving at a solution, the whole message is lost in the discussion. So, I reconciled myself to the fact that decline is inevitable and that one day it will all end. Therefore I resolved myself to simply enjoy it for as long as it lasts, enjoy time spent with racing friends. If I were to be so bold as to offer a suggestion, focus more on making any race, regardless of structure, entries, rules, a positive relational and interactive experience and less upon tearing down your fellow racers, to do so diminishes us all. It's difficult to see threads like this and believe they would elevate our hobby to a better place. It saddens me that we so frequently fall into this trap.

No end of ideas in this thread, leaders and members pay attention to the best of them, never stop striving for improvement and enjoy the experience and be grateful for these days, they will end one day and I for one want to be filled to the brim with warm memories, not a wake of wrecked relationships.

I apologize in advance should these thoughts offend.

I would say it is hard to make US1 from a second place heat racing finish.

Back in the days of lots of monos and hydros and racers, I remember we were limited to two entries for a race to hold down the heat numbers.

Heck thats why i got into scale hydro cause they would let you run two classes and a scale hydro boat, they were promoting the class.

Really don't like to see the high minimum for a class, like 5-6 boats.

If the class is weak that wont help promote the class, originally we only required three boats to make a class and it would grow from there.

If there are at least three guys having fun racing, more will join in.

Marty from what I understand several of us were suspended from the club because we didn't attend the clean up day before the race. When there isn't any communication between the club members it makes it harder on everyone. So with that being said we are going to shelve the molds, lock the shop door and take some time away from boats. I will not be a NAMBA member next year as I will be running mostly IMPBA races. Take care my friend.
Are you talking about the Tampa Club (which I belong to) or the Brandon Club (which I don't officially belong to)? As for the Tampa Club, there has not been anything like that. I am not sure where you got this but it is not correct at all.... About the only reason that people are dropped from our club is for lack of paying dues or some real problem with access, equipment, etc.
It pertains to Brandon- there was an email circulated that stated Jeffs words- NOW THATS how you grow the sport.
default_sleep.png

It would be nice if the local clubs would let anyone join...instead of having to be approved as acceptable by the other members, that would go a long way in building membership. I would be more involved if that was possible, but as it stands, old wounds of others don't heal very quickly. I only have open water days to test and tune and that put's a burden on being competitive and staying current wth setups, etc.

Deny all you want (you know who you are) but that is the reality here in the Tampa area, sometimes people are their own worst enemies.

Want to know how to grow the sport...simple, open your doors to everyone...at the end of the day certain people will always be more involved than others, that is just the way it is.

I will say that in the shooting sports(USPSA) and the clubs involved in them...everyone helps at every event...no exceptions and everyone really enjoys it. That really makes it very easy for everyone to have a great time and takes the workload off of a small group.

I am in the camp that feels that gas and nitro should be split as far as that goes, if nitro can't hold their own, then that is the way it goes...same with gas. The reality is that there is an old core group who run the show and don't want to cede power, whether it be for the good of the sport or not and until then, at least in this area...things sadly will stay the same.

Marty from what I understand several of us were suspended from the club because we didn't attend the clean up day before the race. When there isn't any communication between the club members it makes it harder on everyone. So with that being said we are going to shelve the molds, lock the shop door and take some time away from boats. I will not be a NAMBA member next year as I will be running mostly IMPBA races. Take care my friend.
Are you talking about the Tampa Club (which I belong to) or the Brandon Club (which I don't officially belong to)? As for the Tampa Club, there has not been anything like that. I am not sure where you got this but it is not correct at all.... About the only reason that people are dropped from our club is for lack of paying dues or some real problem with access, equipment, etc.
It pertains to Brandon- there was an email circulated that stated Jeffs words- NOW THATS how you grow the sport.
default_sleep.png
I don't know anything about that.... Shouldn't this be in a private conversation rather than an open forum? Contact the officers of the Brandon Club and work it out with them rather than complain about it to the whole world.

Politics of toy boat racing..............................................................

Who wins in the long run................................................................

NO ONE WINS WE ALL LOSE...........................................................................................

It would be nice if the local clubs would let anyone join...instead of having to be approved as acceptable by the other members, that would go a long way in building membership. I would be more involved if that was possible, but as it stands, old wounds of others don't heal very quickly. I only have open water days to test and tune and that put's a burden on being competitive and staying current wth setups, etc.

Deny all you want (you know who you are) but that is the reality here in the Tampa area, sometimes people are their own worst enemies.

Want to know how to grow the sport...simple, open your doors to everyone...at the end of the day certain people will always be more involved than others, that is just the way it is.

I will say that in the shooting sports(USPSA) and the clubs involved in them...everyone helps at every event...no exceptions and everyone really enjoys it. That really makes it very easy for everyone to have a great time and takes the workload off of a small group.

I am in the camp that feels that gas and nitro should be split as far as that goes, if nitro can't hold their own, then that is the way it goes...same with gas. The reality is that there is an old core group who run the show and don't want to cede power, whether it be for the good of the sport or not and until then, at least in this area...things sadly will stay the same.
Everyone helps at every event no exceptions. What do you do to the people that are members and never help and race all they want and practice all they want?

Who are the old core group members you know who they are and don't speak out nothing will get better.

Julian

Last edited by a moderator:

Everyone helps at every event no exceptions. What do you do to the people that are members and never help and race all they want and practice all they want?
There are those people...but I agree it is amplified if there is just a small group in the club....I was speaking of the shooting sports anyway. With that said...if everyone attending the race helped the host club, it would relieve the pressure.

*sigh*

1) "too many classes" is a mis-diagnosis; the root cause is "too few boaters, and with disparate interests."

2) this hobby grew out of full-size powerboat racing, and that sport has been struggling for a long time as well

3) Politics. Politics kills friendships, relationships, clubs, and even family ties.

4) hyper-over-competitiveness. The IMPBA rule book clearly states the CD's calls are final. Every driver's meeting includes the statement that "we can't see everything, please don't argue calls." yet what happens after **** near every heat? People bitching and walking up to the CD stand asking "why didn't you call that?" or "there's no way I was over!" We're supposed to be doing this for fun, but I'm usually walking on eggshells because I don't want to make a mistake which will tag me as "that guy" who gets talked about behind my back as being a s**tty driver who you need to stay away from. I

the racing out on the course is exciting. the ugliness after heats needs to stop. and it needs to stop now.
Oh Jim you're pointin at the membership, please be careful.
default_wink.png

Hope I get the opportunity to shake your hand one day.

Fellas, I'm headed out to a little bitty 143 boat district race in the middle of a cotton field.

The racing will be fierce & everyone will be treated like family. As it should be.

Have a great weekend!

Brandon club. Just wanted to let you know why several people were not there to help. I will get with you about joining the Tampa club.

Latest posts

Back