State of Affairs for RC Boat Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not enough boats for a class? COMBINE CLASSES! It's a no brainer. Want bigger boat count? race to HAVE FUN! help others! help the hosting club! Money has nothing to do with it! If you want a new toy you will find the money (ask me how I know) . My oldest son quit chewing so he could afford a used CMB.

Trust me, I used to race for all the wrong reasons. Now I go racing because I enjoy being with my racing FAMILY as well as my boys and grand son.

ps. I'm in the process of building 2 1/6 scales at the same time for next spring. There will be plenty of gas scales around here next year.

So we are talking about too many classes on impba or Namba.

Then why are we were running all these other specialty classes example X Hydro single or F Hydro single when there's already a class for those boats ???

the only reason they came up with those classes is so the singles don't have to run with the twins. That's what I was told when I asked a few contest directors that was there response it's not fair that singles have to run with twins.

I think personally the boats should race in their classes and not have the specialty classes that separate both what's the point of having an F Hydro or X Hydro class if the boats that are in that class are going to run in a single class ???

That right there will save a couple heats during the day

Julian
So, that has me asking "Are twins really that much faster than singles?" Why not just put anything over a specific CID in X and call it good? I know, the guys that run twin 40s don't want to run against a single 80 or twin 60 but, if it speeds things up, put twins in the class that their CID matches closest, say twin 21's go into 40 hydro, for example. Okay I'm hunkered down in my foxhole so fire away
default_wink.png
Mark

twin 45's have been racing in the twin and F Hydro classes same as for namba so that's not a issue. but what I'm calling in question is why they have to seperate the single engine F boats from the class ?? There's a class for them already in X hydro and F Hydro.

Twins have there OWN class its called Muti Engine... NOT F HYDRO...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea or combining the riggers into 20, 40, 60 and X. It eliminates three to five classes but it also speeds up a race weekend due to less classes to wait through

Twins have there OWN class its called Muti Engine... NOT F HYDRO...
Also twins run in F Hydro and X Hydro because they meet the class displacement rules or am I wrong since I'm not a racer ???

WHY ARE TWINS ALLOWED IN FHYDRO? WHY ARE TWIN 21 SPORT 40S NOT ALLOWED IN SPORT 40?? WHO COMES UP WITH THIS STUFF??
default_blink.png
default_blink.png
default_blink.png

WHY ARE TWINS ALLOWED IN FHYDRO? WHY ARE TWIN 21 SPORT 40S NOT ALLOWED IN SPORT 40?? WHO COMES UP WITH THIS STUFF??
default_blink.png
default_blink.png
default_blink.png
You can run Twin 90's in F Hydro because they meet the engine displacement rules in the class I don't disagree with you Sam I hear you that's why I raise the question As long as you meet the displacement guidelines in each class you should be able to run the boat. Unless it states in the rules for sport 40s that you can't run multi engine set ups I don't see why they don't allow a sport 40 with (2) 21 engines. I don't know much about sport 40 cause I don't run the class so somebody else will have to chime in

default_blink.png
default_blink.png
default_blink.png
You can run Twin 90's in F Hydro because they meet the engine displacement rules in the class I don't disagree with you Sam I hear you that's why I raise the question As long as you meet the displacement guidelines in each class you should be able to run the boat. Unless it states in the rules for sport 40s that you can't run multi engine set ups I don't see why they don't allow a sport 40 with (2) 21 engines. I don't know much about sport 40 cause I don't run the class so somebody else will have to chime in
I just dont understand why Fhydro cant just be 1 class instead of 3 classes. But this isnt something to keep carrying on.. it is what is i just want to race!!!!

default_blink.png
default_blink.png
default_blink.png
Twins have ALWAYS been allowed in F hydro as long as they meet the displacement limit and it should remain that way. The multi engine hydro class was added a few years back with significantly higher displacement limit and not limited to just 2 engines (a triple .80 would be legal). I remember the whole twin 21 sport 40 thing back when it happened. I thought it was seriously cool but a few got their panties all wadded up and created a sh*tstorm over it.

Marty from what I understand several of us were suspended from the club because we didn't attend the clean up day before the race. When there isn't any communication between the club members it makes it harder on everyone. So with that being said we are going to shelve the molds, lock the shop door and take some time away from boats. I will not be a NAMBA member next year as I will be running mostly IMPBA races. Take care my friend.
Are you talking about the Tampa Club (which I belong to) or the Brandon Club (which I don't officially belong to)? As for the Tampa Club, there has not been anything like that. I am not sure where you got this but it is not correct at all.... About the only reason that people are dropped from our club is for lack of paying dues or some real problem with access, equipment, etc.

default_blink.png
default_blink.png
default_blink.png
Twins have ALWAYS been allowed in F hydro as long as they meet the displacement limit and it should remain that way. The multi engine hydro class was added a few years back with significantly higher displacement limit and not limited to just 2 engines (a triple .80 would be legal). I remember the whole twin 21 sport 40 thing back when it happened. I thought it was seriously cool but a few got their panties all wadded up and created a sh*tstorm over it.
I dont see why you can't run a twin engine setup on a sport 40 other than the rules say no twin engine setups. There's really not a performance gain in my opinion. Other than people bitchin about it like they do in F Hydro because some don't want to race with the twins in the same heat.

default_blink.png
default_blink.png
default_blink.png
Don:

I agree with you on the Sport 40 thing. One of my buddies from Indy has a twin 21 Sport 40 and people got all ticked off about it. Displacement has always been the benchmark for classes.

As for the F Hydro, Multi Engine, Single F Classes I have never been in favor of a boat being able to run in 2 difference classes like it is with these. Why not just have F Hydro period.....

default_blink.png
default_blink.png
default_blink.png
I understand Don but now that Twins have there own class the single f guys want there own class which is just creating more classes than we need.. So my question is when the Muti Eng. class was created why wasnt the the fhydro class rules changed to only allow single eng boats? Or why didnt the CID in fhydro and fmono go up to 3.03 and not add the muti eng class? Now we have 1 class Fhydro that has evolved into 3 different classes and none of 3 classes hardly ever have a decent turnout or even enough boats to make a class at most 2 day races...

Sam, It was suppose to be in section K but somehow it got move to section H. Multi-engines have always been allow in any class except the Sport Hydro class, but that a different story. You could run two .10 in B class, Two .21 in D class or you can run four .45 in F class. In other words you can run any combination of motors so long as they fit the engine displacement size. When I wrote the rules for the Multi-engine class I set the min and the max engine for the class. It was keep at the F class displacement to begin with. The following year we raised to 2.5 cubic inches.

I have never been in favor of a boat being able to run in 2 difference classes like it is with these.
Ok so with that line of thinking then if a guy wants to run his sport 40 in 40 hydro you're gonna tell him/her no? Or if someone wants to run their 1/8th scale in 60 hydro (seen this numerous times in the past) no to that too? Or a sport 20 in 20 hydro (Right Bradley M.)?? 100% wrong answer. It's that kind of thinking that hurts the hobby not helps it. What's more enticing to a racer, especially a new one or one on a limited hobby budget than the ability to run one boat in more than one class. One of the reasons I like going to Hobart every year (besides the solid competition) is if I choose I can run my twin in 3 classes (F hydro, multi engine and unlimited). This cutting official classes approach will not solve anything. If it's a problem in your area set class entry minimums and a cut off date so if they don't hit the mark you drop the class. Gee how simple is that???? Some of you ***** about how much time it takes to run the classes and yet want to run the old Internats US-1 format where everyone runs time trials and you spend 2 1/2 to 3 days doing that. Why waste so much time when the emphasis is and always has been placed on heat racing with total heat racing points being DOUBLED! It's not rocket science to know if you're not top 5 or 6 in heat racing you're not going to win a US-1.

**** this is gonna be a looong winter, as Kevin said not even snow on the ground yet and the cabin fever stuff is already starting........

The single eng F/X class started because the large 1.01/.91 boats make a mess out of the water.

The clubs putting on the race are the deciding factor on this as it is not class by the rules.

If classes where adjusted to total eng displacement this would combine a few.

The weight of the boat is determined by the power mostly.

So say you break the classes by eng displacement. .44 and lower 1.11 and lower then any thing goes.

then break it down by hull type mono ,hydro, outboard.

That is 9 classes............

Lot more manageable all the way around.................................

Just my 2 cents.............

O and a scale class also.........

I say leave the classes alone. Run as many engines you would like in a class with as many props as you want so long as all of it is tied to a drive of some type and fit that class engine size. Run sport, scale, or tunnel and any hydro class so long as they fit the engine or engines size.

This is what we have now and it has work for all of these years.

Latest posts

Back