OUCH!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The medium clear sets good 5 to 10 on first coat then do the wet coats first wet coat then by the time you clear all parts go ahead and do the second coat

Well it’s not perfect. I had too much paint flow dialed in on the gun which was ok for flat surfaces but I got some runs on the black trimmed sides that run between the tops of the sponsons and the main decks. I also got a run right at the very front, also in a black trim spot. I will address these next time I go to clear a boat. Overall though, I am happy with the gun, the compressor, and the paint. Had I dialed back the flow half a turn, I probably wouldn’t have seen any runs. I could tell by the amount of material I was using that something was wrong. My inexperience was the main issue.

Anyway, aside from the runs/sags in the areas I pointed out, I still think the boat looks really good, and I’m gonna run it as is this year. The Sherwin Williams Finish 1 FC720 clear is a very good value. 54.00 for a quart and hardener. Can’t beat that, even with Spraymaxx. Also, the Aeropro a610 spray gun kit is pretty nice for the money. It comes with 3 tips and some tools. I used it with the Spectrum paint cup system from Harbor Freight. No leaks, disposable liners, etc…Hard to go wrong for 70.00. It only consumes about 4-5 cfm at 30 psi and my 25 gallon compressor was more than enough to spray boats.

I definitely learned quite a bit and will likely get much better results next time.
IMG_2737.jpegIMG_2738.jpegIMG_2739.jpegIMG_2741.jpegIMG_2742.jpegIMG_2743.jpeg

Even with my touch up gun I don’t have the fluid adjustment opened all the way.Its very easy to get a run on the boats.The corners you have to be careful as they get painted from two angles.I use to always clear my boats twice the first go around then wait for a couple days wet sand the boat then shoot it again gets that deep shine.lately I have been shooting it once as most these boats are for racing.I like to show my work but knowing they might get some damage not worried about the perfect paint job.I don’t even buff mine out let it cure wax it run it.The runs can be wet sanded then buffed out but for me that’s as much work or more then wet sanding it and shoot it again.Great job as you will get better at it I get a run or sag from time to time pisses me off but I’m not a body shop with a nice paint booth with lots of lites.The lights play a big role to see the paint plus having a exhaust system to keep the over spray down.I use too use a full size gun but got this touch up gun and couldn’t be happier.If your like me and all the work you put in the rebuild being more of a scale boat I would wet sand it with 400 on the runs and then go to 600 and shoot it again but just two wet coats.

Even with my touch up gun I don’t have the fluid adjustment opened all the way.Its very easy to get a run on the boats.The corners you have to be careful as they get painted from two angles.I use to always clear my boats twice the first go around then wait for a couple days wet sand the boat then shoot it again gets that deep shine.lately I have been shooting it once as most these boats are for racing.I like to show my work but knowing they might get some damage not worried about the perfect paint job.I don’t even buff mine out let it cure wax it run it.The runs can be wet sanded then buffed out but for me that’s as much work or more then wet sanding it and shoot it again.Great job as you will get better at it I get a run or sag from time to time pisses me off but I’m not a body shop with a nice paint booth with lots of lites.The lights play a big role to see the paint plus having a exhaust system to keep the over spray down.I use too use a full size gun but got this touch up gun and couldn’t be happier.If your like me and all the work you put in the rebuild being more of a scale boat I would wet sand it with 400 on the runs and then go to 600 and shoot it again but just two wet coats.
I’ll do that eventually For sure but for now Im gonna re-rig it and run it. I can’t spend any more time on this one boat right now. A couple more pics with the vent covers and driver in.
IMG_2750.jpegIMG_2749.jpegIMG_2753.jpegIMG_2754.jpegIMG_2755.jpegIMG_2756.jpegIMG_2757.jpegIMG_2748.jpeg

Back