OUCH!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Jones

Supporting Member
Lost radio, had no control, and it hit the beach. No fail safe kicked in. Weirdest thing ever… Consistent speeds of 62 or better. Really a nice running boat. It’s gonna have to sit for now I have too many other things to get to. Maybe get it fixed for next year. Prop and fin, I’m not sure about. Motor and pipe are fine. Strut is trashed, but drive shaft and wire drive seem fine. Rudder, not sure yet.
IMG_1708.jpegIMG_1709.jpegIMG_1707.jpeg

Sounds like you lost battery power UGLY
That would make sense but when I brought it back the radio worked fine so who knows. I plan on playing with the switch some to see if that went bad or is starting to short or something. It’s one of those heavy duty waterproof toggles. Right now I just can’t look at it.

But wait , there are never radio problems with 2.4 ghz systems, they are so much safer than 75mhz and that's why NAMBA won't allow them in competition in 2024.!!! Very sorry this happened to you and the boat
She is a real beauty . After following the build on here with so much care taken I can understand how you feel .
It is not the one from the build thread thank God. This is another one I bought as a test bed for mods and setups. The one from the build thread is safe and sound.

Ouch is an understatement! Never seen a gas strut bent like that. Surprised it didn't tear off the transom! She hit hard! Sorry to see this happened to you. However, looking at the overall damage, it can be fixed!

Thanks. Yeah it is fixable but it’s gonna be a winter thing. If this was just an ok boat, I’d strip it and throw it in the fire . There’s a lot of stuff you can’t see like damage to the floor in the engine well. It’s gonna approach building a new hull from a time standpoint . This boat has modified sponsons and some other things so it’ll get fixed. I had this thing running in the low to mid 60s and handling well so that’s what makes it hard to take. I just need to set aside for a while and at some point I will start tearing into it. Trying to finish a Slingshot right now ( Just about to spray color trim).

Sorry to see that Rich , lack of fail safe is not pretty, as I’m sure you saw earlier. Xt 60 flange mount plugs are the fool proof switch. Changing myself.

Thanks. Yeah it is fixable but it’s gonna be a winter thing. If this was just an ok boat, I’d strip it and throw it in the fire . There’s a lot of stuff you can’t see like damage to the floor in the engine well. It’s gonna approach building a new hull from a time standpoint . This boat has modified sponsons and some other things so it’ll get fixed. I had this thing running in the low to mid 60s and handling well so that’s what makes it hard to take. I just need to set aside for a while and at some point I will start tearing into it. Trying to finish a Slingshot right now ( Just about to spray color trim).
Was the antenna out of the hull?

Lost radio, had no control, and it hit the beach. No fail safe kicked in. Weirdest thing ever… Consistent speeds of 62 or better. Really a nice running boat. It’s gonna have to sit for now I have too many other things to get to. Maybe get it fixed for next year. Prop and fin, I’m not sure about. Motor and pipe are fine. Strut is trashed, but drive shaft and wire drive seem fine. Rudder, not sure yet.
View attachment 317939View attachment 317940View attachment 317938
Rich, can you show us a pic of the radio install.. we see its to late but maybe we better understand what might have happen.

I was standing next to Rich when it happened.You could see exactly when it happened, and 2 seconds later, shore. It is really a shame because it was really smoking.
Everything went great…until it didn’t. When I get to work on this thing, I’ll let you know what pieces I need. I found more damage up front but not as serious as in the rear.

feel free to PM me a list of items used in the box if you dont mind. (you COULD post it here but you know how that goes.

I have a few standard practices with 2.4 and can share them with you if you like. Also can make recommendations if needed. (if not.. thats OK too)

I just hate to see a good running boat have an issue.

Grim

Back