OUCH!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Primer (aka white base coat) sprayed today. Overall I’m pretty pleased. There’s maybe 5 small areas along some seams that need some spot filler. Other than that, not bad. I’ll wet sand with 600, spot fill, spot prime, then give the whole top and sides one more coat for uniformity, and I’ll be ready to mask off for black trim.
IMG_2616.jpegIMG_2618.jpegIMG_2619.jpegIMG_2620.jpegIMG_2621.jpegIMG_2622.jpegIMG_2623.jpegIMG_2624.jpegIMG_2625.jpeg

Simple little setup. You can paint an RC boat with that but takes some effort as you know. I have a PC 150 PSI compressor that’s 6 gallons. I didn’t want to be halfway down a side of the boat and have it start spitting paint irregularly and when I found the deal on the larger compressor I jumped at it. Painting a car with it might be a stretch but it’ll sure get me through a boat. It’s an older Craftsman. The guy bought it like 25 years ago and plugged it in and turned it on and it tripped a breaker. Clearly he was using a 15 amp circuit. He just gave up on it. That thing must have cost him at least 500.00 back then. I plugged it in to a 20 amp circuit and it purrs like a kitten. It cuts off when it’s supposed to and the regulator works as it should. So I’m pretty pleased. The gun I’m using is just one of the R500 or in this case, A610 guns on Amazon. They get decent reviews when used properly.
If your compressor is oil lubed, I highly recommend changing the oil to synthetic compressor oil. It really softens the startup.

If your compressor is oil lubed, I highly recommend changing the oil to synthetic compressor oil. It really softens the startup.
Great point and I’ll remember that one John. My compressor is not oil lubed (sealed at factory). If I ever do get one that requires oil maintenance, I’ll be sure to switch out to synthetic right away.

I haven’t used it yet. I’m using can primer (SEM High Build) and I’m using Spraymaxx 2k Hot Rod Black for the trim. My main focus for this project was to use the gun and a different clear. I wanted to see how good of a job I could do. I may spray primer and base with the gun in the future, we’ll see how this experiment goes. The objectives were no Rustoleum and a different clear, both brand and method.

Rich did you buy the Fc 720 clear?I was busy last month at work and was having a hard time going to the auto paint store so I bought the acme FC 720 clear with medium hardner and was very pleased with it.I bought it of Amazon.

Rich did you buy the Fc 720 clear?I was busy last month at work and was having a hard time going to the auto paint store so I bought the acme FC 720 clear with medium hardner and was very pleased with it.I bought it of Amazon.
Yes. I got the same exact thing and off of Amazon as well. Glad you like it. I watched some favorable video reviews that used the gun I bought and this exact clear. I thought it was worth a shot for 54.00.

Adam had a zipkitts 12 rigger In bad shape so I’m in the process of going tru it I stripped the old epoxy off it was never painted but ran and wasn’t sealed properly not sure who built it.I ran out of the gen tech clear I have been using but liked the acme clear better.Tacks up fast and doesn’t run as easy as the gen tech.Real happy I mixed 2 1/2 oz and shot the tub.

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpeg
    IMG_0626.jpeg
    976.3 KB · Views: 0
Adam had a zipkitts 12 rigger In bad shape so I’m in the process of going tru it I stripped the old epoxy off it was never painted but ran and wasn’t sealed properly not sure who built it.I ran out of the gen tech clear I have been using but liked the acme clear better.Tacks up fast and doesn’t run as easy as the gen tech.Real happy I mixed 2 1/2 oz and shot the tub.
Nice job bringing it back!

Rich, me some stickers and I will pay for them!
I can help to an extent. I haven’t looked into doing two colors yet, so mine are all one. The deck graphics I got from an online boat graphic place where you design your own using their tool and then order. On the graphics I’ve been doing, yeah, they turn out ok. I have to fight the machine a little bit on small stuff. The machine wants to displace dots for things when they are too small. But, certainly cheaper than having everything professionally done. It has been a bit of a learning curve but I’m getting better I guess.

I need something to jazz up my 30" tunnel boat. whats that website?
It’s Boatletteringtoyou.com. Honestly they aren’t cheap but I was able to design something I could work with and it was easy and fast. There are people like Wes Ellet, Carl Brockman with Brockman Signs, and others who do really nice stuff for like scale boats and stuff for not much more. I’ve used this place when I’m kind of in a hurry but not quite sure what I want so I mess around with their design tool.

The ugly duckling isn’t ugly no more!Turned out very nice as usual.When you get ready to clear first coat I don’t make real wet more like a tach coat let it get sticky then two full wet coats don’t hurry take your time with the cooler weather you will have plenty of time plus hopefully no bugs.I do each wet coats in two stages.You might want to make a test panel to get the feel of new gun maybe two panels to try the differant settings most pieces are not that big of area so you want to turn down the paint flow.Try not to tun the round to fan spray towards the round as it will really shoot a lot of paint out.

The ugly duckling isn’t ugly no more!Turned out very nice as usual.When you get ready to clear first coat I don’t make real wet more like a tach coat let it get sticky then two full wet coats don’t hurry take your time with the cooler weather you will have plenty of time plus hopefully no bugs.I do each wet coats in two stages.You might want to make a test panel to get the feel of new gun maybe two panels to try the differant settings most pieces are not that big of area so you want to turn down the paint flow.Try not to tun the round to fan spray towards the round as it will really shoot a lot of paint out.
Thanks! have put some larger pieces of cardboard aside to test out the gun. I know you are looking for more of an elliptical pattern vs round, more football shaped. And I believe you get there by opening the fan control more. I’m going to use a 1.3 tip. I also know I need to clean the gun before I use it, etc… I am a little concerned with the one hour pot life at 75 degrees per the data sheet and it’s supposed to be 75 on Monday when I paint. Seems like a lot of work load to get everything inside an hour. Maybe I will mix a batch for the cowl and hatch pieces, and then another batch for the main hull, I don’t know.

A hour is a lot of time but you could do a small mix do your test panel and small pieces try 5 ounces mixed.

Back