OUCH!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finish mostly stripped off the hull. I was looking mostly to even everything out but also to not add more weight by going over an existing finish. Also got started sanding the front cowl and deck. There’s a small crack I have to repair right at the nose, and it’s coming away from the deck on the right in that area so I have to fiberglass that back down. I also have to add a new hatch bulkhead in the back that was torn off in the crash.

IMG_2431.jpegIMG_2434.jpegIMG_2432.jpegIMG_2436.jpegIMG_2438.jpegIMG_2443.jpeg

Looks like you should be in the furniture refinishing business.Are you going to use some high build primer after you get it resealed?By the looks of it should turn out real nice.

Looks like you should be in the furniture refinishing business.Are you going to use some high build primer after you get it resealed?By the looks of it should turn out real nice.
Thanks, yeah I will use a primer that I used on the other Lauterbach that I got at a local auto paint store (Smyth Automotive). I think SEM makes it and it comes in a spray can. It is high build and compatible with 3M spot filler and 2 part automotive paint. I’m tired of trying to make Rustoleum primer and paint work, it is too touchy when it comes to compatibility and cure times.

I’m not a big fan of the rust oleum had better luck with krylon I stick with automotive products and use a compressor and gun.Too much work goes into the wood boats to have something backfire at you.

A couple of busy weeks but able to squeeze in some work on the Lauterbach. All back hatch damage repaired and fiberglassed . Added the missing bulkhead at the back of the front hatch and added the engine detail, namely the blower and the zoomies. I found a couple of eBay sellers and one had a 1/6 scale blower, and the other had 1/5 scale zoomies, both 3D printed. At this point, nothing on this boat is broken any longer. Time to start the re-sealing and other prep of everything and then put up until warmer weather.
IMG_2467.jpegIMG_2468.jpegIMG_2471.jpegIMG_2473.jpegIMG_2474.jpegIMG_2503.jpegIMG_2506.jpegIMG_2509.jpegIMG_2511.jpegIMG_2514.jpeg

The blower and zoomys look awesome!Now for some nice weather.Im also needing to do some painting ended up with 22 inches of some and now we’re going to get some minus temps.

About a month ago we started a light remodel in the upstairs of our condo (namely flooring, paint, trim, and a brand new master closet area with modern shelving etc…) and that is still ongoing, so it’s been hard for me to get to the boat. I have been intermittently working on the Lauterbach with some filling work, sealing and stuff like that. Yesterday, it was close to 60 so I set up my tent and sprayed primer on the hatches, cowls, and front cowl details. The main hull still needs the top smoothed out with some unthinned epoxy, so it is not quite ready. As you can see, the zoomies and blower got a coat of flat black primer and that’s how they will stay. The boat will be predominately white with black trim. The white primer will be lightly wet sanded and will serve as the color. The black trim will be 2k SprayMax. Some orange pinstriping and black graphics will be added and the whole thing will get cleared with Sherwin Williams 2k Finish 1 clear. I’ve decided to try a gun finish this time out on this part. I’m using an LVLP gun that requires approx 4 cfm at 30 psi. I scored a new old stock compressor on FB Marketplace for 100.00 that had never even been broken in. It is 4 HP and holds 25 gallons. It puts out 7.0 at 90 and 9.0 at 40 psi. We will see how this works. The clear and hardener were only 50.00 for a quart kit on Amazon, and if it holds up ok, I’ll be able to do at least 2 boats with the quart. I at least try to save money where I can. The PPG 2021 clear was what I wanted but it has become so prohibitively expensive that I just can’t justify going that route. More to come in the near future.

IMG_2600.jpegIMG_2601.jpegIMG_2603.jpeg

The last quart I painted 4 boats Im using a touch up gun I mix between 4 to 6 oz at a time.I run it @50 psi as there’s 50 foot of hose .I used my small compressor once but took for ever to build that was when I was camping back at home I have a 2 stage 80 gallon tank puts out 15 cfm it’s a 175 psi here’s my gun I use I use a Pyrex mixing cup glass 4 oz 1 hardner 6 oz 1.5 hardner

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The last quart I painted 4 boats Im using a touch up gun I mix between 4 to 6 oz at a time.I run it @50 psi as there’s 50 foot of hose .I used my small compressor once but took for ever to build that was when I was camping back at home I have a 2 stage 80 gallon tank puts out 15 cfm it’s a 175 psi here’s my gun I use I use a Pyrex mixing cup glass 4 oz 1 hardner 6 oz 1.5 hardner
Simple little setup. You can paint an RC boat with that but takes some effort as you know. I have a PC 150 PSI compressor that’s 6 gallons. I didn’t want to be halfway down a side of the boat and have it start spitting paint irregularly and when I found the deal on the larger compressor I jumped at it. Painting a car with it might be a stretch but it’ll sure get me through a boat. It’s an older Craftsman. The guy bought it like 25 years ago and plugged it in and turned it on and it tripped a breaker. Clearly he was using a 15 amp circuit. He just gave up on it. That thing must have cost him at least 500.00 back then. I plugged it in to a 20 amp circuit and it purrs like a kitten. It cuts off when it’s supposed to and the regulator works as it should. So I’m pretty pleased. The gun I’m using is just one of the R500 or in this case, A610 guns on Amazon. They get decent reviews when used properly.

Make sure you buy some lacquer thinner I buy the sunny side brand from Menards for cleaning I also have a respirator for isocynades my compressor I have a water trap on the regulator

I was going to use an in-line filter right before the reg and gun. I will get some lacquer thinner before I do this for sure. I’ve got a respirator mask with replaceable filters in the cartridges that I’ve used with Spraymax in the past. So far so good. I make sure it is good and tight around my mouth and nose and I have safety glasses that fit over my regular eyeglasses. I also wear long pants and sleeves and use latex gloves.

Was thinking I cleared 5 boats a gas whip 20 whip warlock and two sling shots from the quart of clear very cost effective.I started using the Pyrex mixing cup after I went to buy the small graduated mixing cups and they were out.So I bought the glass measuring cup and use the Laquer thinner to clean it.Dont forget the funnel strainers tack cloth.I have a old steel gallon can for the waste to pour in to.

Was thinking I cleared 5 boats a gas whip 20 whip warlock and two sling shots from the quart of clear very cost effective.I started using the Pyrex mixing cup after I went to buy the small graduated mixing cups and they were out.So I bought the glass measuring cup and use the Laquer thinner to clean it.Dont forget the funnel strainers tack cloth.I have a old steel gallon can for the waste to pour in to.
Check and check. I have strainers and Tack Cloths. The glass measuring cup is a good idea . I have a 5 gallon gas can I could probably use that has some old gas in it. I don’t imagine mixing gas and paint would cause an explosion, at least not a horrible one anyway😂😂😂. We’ll see what else I have laying around.

Back