NAMBA strut question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I dare comment on this?

Here's what I see... A lot of panic over nothing. Why don't we let guys run it wherever is needed to make the boat work well? Who really cares anyway? Who are we trying to impress with a "true to scale" fore/aft prop position? Krikey fellas. Let's go racing!

I have taken several emails regarding this exact question. When this question was presented to several people on how to translate this rule the answer was always 1 drive dog length behind the transom. Some boats have rid surfaces the go beyond the transom but are not physically part of the "transom". Now if this is something we wish to address and make a more clear ruling on please send me your arguments (for lack of a better word) on how we can improve the rule or if we should modify it.

[email protected]

Thanks all

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken several emails regarding this exact question. When this question was presented to several people on how to translate this rule the answer was always 1 drive dog length behind the transom. Some boats have rid surfaces the go beyond the transom but are not physically part of the "transom". Now if this is something we wish to address and make a more clear ruling on please send me your arguments (for lack of a better word) on how we can improve the rule or if we should modify it.

[email protected]

Thanks all

Kevin

I'll point out that Kevin is the Namba scale chairman

Do I dare comment on this?

Here's what I see... A lot of panic over nothing. Why don't we let guys run it wherever is needed to make the boat work well? Who really cares anyway? Who are we trying to impress with a "true to scale" fore/aft prop position? Krikey fellas. Let's go racing!
I agree, but someone will hang an outdrive off the back of the budweiser that is 4" from the transom. The rules are clear as they are, provide proof of your drive dog placement, build it as a gentleman as scale as it should be and don't be a dork and bend the rules to see how many people you can piss off. Lets go racing!

It's been 10 days since I asked, and no response or questions again about this rule. So can I say everyone is happy with the rule the way it is written??.. one drive dog, or prop drive behind the transom??. I will say that maybe we could and possibly should clarify the regulated length of the drive dog. Comments and questions would help me make the rule as clear as humanly possible.

Thanks

Kevin

Where is it written that it's no more then a drive dog length. It's not in IMPBA. I was told as long as the District Director approves the length then it doesn't matter what the rule book says.

Went a read the NAMBA rule book on Scale Hydroplane.

Why do 2 boat organizations have different rules for the 1/8th Scale Hydroplane Class.

Maybe the point of this thread or topic is that a IMPBA boat that has the drive dog length longer then a drive dog is that they can't race in NAMBA

A. There is no specific rule for that in IMPBA

B. What determines the length of a Drive dog.

The 2 Organizations need to mimic each other.

The IMPBA Scale Rules need to be cleaned up.

The problem is that neither organization wants to be forced to change. The NAMBA scale rules aren't perfect either so, to make one set for everyone, the powers that be would almost be required to start from scratch and re-write both sets of the rules. The other major issue is that the two organizations are, by and large, not really in the same areas of the country. This makes things harder as well

There has been in the past and I'm sure there still is differences in how NAMBA and IMPBA regulate and interpret things like this.

If the district director allows your hull to run at a race he should also state the regulation you may be breaking and that it might also not be legal at another race district.

1) No rule in IMPBA for the length and distance from transom is something that IMPBA members need to vote on if a change is required or wanted.

2) The average length of all the drive dogs I have measured is around 3/8".

Is this the standard length for drive dogs I am not sure. Do we want to set a standard length for them is what I need to know if anyone wishes to establish a rule (for IMPBA) or make more clear the rule in NAMBA.

So let this thread be a discussion on what if anything we want to change for IMPBA or NAMBA on the topic of drive dog length and placement.

Kevin

I can't as NAMBA Scale Chairman make changes for IMPBA but we can at least see what the general consensus is as model scale boaters, and what we feel makes sense and is practical to keep the class growing, Keep it competitive, Keep the boats looking scale and most of all keep it fun for everyone.

Why do 2 boat organizations have different rules for the 1/8th Scale Hydroplane Class.

Maybe the point of this thread or topic is that a IMPBA boat that has the drive dog length longer then a drive dog is that they can't race in NAMBA

No they dont... they are working just fine..

Grim

Grim
And this, in a nutshell, is why the two groups can't seem to get together. Sam says the rules need to be cleaned up and rewritten so that the rules are the same in both organizations, Grim says the rules work just fine as they are. The question really comes down, at this point, to who is actually correct? As I see it, we have basically three options:

1) we need to come up with a waiver to allow NAMBA boats to run at IMPBA events as well as the opposite

2) just rewrite the rules so that they require the same things

3) leave it up to the event CD(s) as to whether a boat will be allowed to race or not as well as how closely the rules will be adhered to

they are working.. are the perfect.. naaaa..

but.. again.. they are working.

I have ZERO issues operating my Scale in ANY IMPBA event. As for NAMBA.. I live SO FAR from any NAMBA events that it just does not effect me.

Do I care to drive half way across the US to race my scale in a NAMBA event.. not really. Might be fun to hang out at one but feel I need to race my boat.. nope.

Grim

Disclaimer.. This is just Grims opinion and does not reflect ANYBODY ELSE!

So many opinions, difficult to visualize having the critical mass required to generate the changes required. That said, we could all benefit from the standardization of the scale class in both regions. It’s also my opinion that the changes required to make our boats compliant would not be that big of deal either, this would be the point that you would most likely experience the most push back. Still worth the effort though, starting point, reach out to your organizational counterpart and test their openness to the effort.

IMPBA racers have come to the Northwest Scale Championships and the NAMBA Nationals in the past. I'm not aware of any problems with racing under the different scale rules. The scale guys that actually race seem to be interested in creating boats that look like the full size boat with modifications that make the boat run well. I'm not sure we need to regulate things more than that.

Lohring Miller

they are working.. are the perfect.. naaaa..

but.. again.. they are working.

I have ZERO issues operating my Scale in ANY IMPBA event. As for NAMBA.. I live SO FAR from any NAMBA events that it just does not effect me.

Do I care to drive half way across the US to race my scale in a NAMBA event.. not really. Might be fun to hang out at one but feel I need to race my boat.. nope.

Grim

Disclaimer.. This is just Grims opinion and does not reflect ANYBODY ELSE!
And you just echoed what I said at post 68.

The areas the two organizations actually race in are separated by distance much more so than by rules differences

In NAMBA The Drive Dog rule is a holdover from the old Sport Hydro rules. When the Sport Hydro rule was changed to allow out drives the Scale rule was never updated. All it takes is a DIstrict to submit a rule change proposal. If it gets on the ballot they usually pass.

Grim
And this, in a nutshell, is why the two groups can't seem to get together. Sam says the rules need to be cleaned up and rewritten so that the rules are the same in both organizations, Grim says the rules work just fine as they are. The question really comes down, at this point, to who is actually correct? As I see it, we have basically three options:

1) we need to come up with a waiver to allow NAMBA boats to run at IMPBA events as well as the opposite

2) just rewrite the rules so that they require the same things

3) leave it up to the event CD(s) as to whether a boat will be allowed to race or not as well as how closely the rules will be adhered to

The ball is in Sams court to do something if he feels change is needed. Write the change present it to your director

Great question, but the rule change cannot be made by me. It as with all rule changes or proposals must be voted on by all members. If your district wants a change to this rule then you must make up the proposal and send it in. We still have to make sure that the rule change is in line with what we would consider "scale". I personally do not know of any advantage to moving the strut/drive dog out past the transom, and the records set are still under the current rules with the drive dog 1 length past the transom. Anyone that has been to or raced in the NW scale championship will tell you those are some fast scales.

Kevin

Back