Question in regards to prop guards.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the major NAMBA races I've attended REQUIRE prop guards on the hot pit tables. These have nothing to do with the boat stand.

Lohring Miller
Lohring, go back and read the rule to make sure I am reading this right. Although I have always thought that prop guards were required in the hot pits, the rule specifically calls out the "working pits". I cannot see were the rule states that prop guards are required in the hot pits.

At our races (D16), our hot pits and working pits are one and the same. We all have prop guards of some sort. Some more elaborate and some so so.
I've seen "cake pans" and other barriers at the NAMBA Nats and they are a joke. Some people put their boat facing away from the "prop guard" and some put them a foot or better from the props. They do not prevent access from the side and with the guard so far away, it does not provide any reasonable protection from behind.
In Europe, they do not require prop guards at any time. The start/launch area is crowded and you my have a meter square to put your boat, yourself and your pitman. No pit table. Some have a boat stand but the prop is wide open. I saw a guys butt hovering about 6 inches from a spinning bare prop in the adjacent "pit". One false move and his butt would have been shredded. At least I've seen in North America NAMBA and IMPBA the pit area tables have adequate space. Doesn't mean you won't hit anybody backing up and heading to the launch but with care and attention, I've never seen an collision between a body and a prop.
I think the issue with NAMBA would be with an insurance claim if someone were to stick their fingers into a spinning prop in a working pit or a hot pit. Would the injury insurance cover us with so little enforcement of the prop guard rule? I'm sure if one of their reps saw how we deal with it in reality, we would not be covered.
As for damage to props, I have a lot of dings in my wooden prop guards from not paying attention to lifting the rear of the boat carefully. Usually, the prop damage is minor. Nothing a hammer and anvil won't fix pretty quick. I get more damage on the water than from prop guards.
As they used to say on NYPD Blues at the morning briefing (gen X won't remember), Let's be careful out there.

Attachments

• 20160731_161958.jpg
    20160731_161958.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20160801_115049.jpg
    20160801_115049.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
I think we can all agree that once you or your pit man removes your running boat from it's stand the danger to everyone around is significant and anything/rule that can be done to avoid accidents is a good thing. At most races access to the 'Hot Pits" is limited to contestants which is a good thing for all concerned. NAMBAs rule is only intended to help avoid a known danger, why would anyone " *****" about it.

Lohring, go back and read the rule to make sure I am reading this right. Although I have always thought that prop guards were required in the hot pits, the rule specifically calls out the "working pits". I cannot see were the rule states that prop guards are required in the hot pits.
No boats will be started on tables or in the working pits with prop attached, unless it
is properly shrouded and protected from accidental contact
. No boats will be started
in the working pits and then carried to the launching area.

If you start on a table...... a prop guard is required. Most everyone starts on a table in the hot pits. Soooooo...... a prop guard is required.

Just my interpretation.

At our races (D16), our hot pits and working pits are one and the same. We all have prop guards of some sort. Some more elaborate and some so so.
I've seen "cake pans" and other barriers at the NAMBA Nats and they are a joke. Some people put their boat facing away from the "prop guard" and some put them a foot or better from the props. They do not prevent access from the side and with the guard so far away, it does not provide any reasonable protection from behind.
In Europe, they do not require prop guards at any time. The start/launch area is crowded and you my have a meter square to put your boat, yourself and your pitman. No pit table. Some have a boat stand but the prop is wide open. I saw a guys butt hovering about 6 inches from a spinning bare prop in the adjacent "pit". One false move and his butt would have been shredded. At least I've seen in North America NAMBA and IMPBA the pit area tables have adequate space. Doesn't mean you won't hit anybody backing up and heading to the launch but with care and attention, I've never seen an collision between a body and a prop.
I think the issue with NAMBA would be with an insurance claim if someone were to stick their fingers into a spinning prop in a working pit or a hot pit. Would the injury insurance cover us with so little enforcement of the prop guard rule? I'm sure if one of their reps saw how we deal with it in reality, we would not be covered.
As for damage to props, I have a lot of dings in my wooden prop guards from not paying attention to lifting the rear of the boat carefully. Usually, the prop damage is minor. Nothing a hammer and anvil won't fix pretty quick. I get more damage on the water than from prop guards.
As they used to say on NYPD Blues at the morning briefing (gen X won't remember), Let's be careful out there.
hill st blues

No boats will be started on tables or in the working pits with prop attached, unless it
is properly shrouded and protected from accidental contact
. No boats will be started
in the working pits and then carried to the launching area.

If you start on a table...... a prop guard is required. Most everyone starts on a table in the hot pits. Soooooo...... a prop guard is required.

Just my interpretation.
So, does a flat piece of aluminum placed 6 inches to 1 foot behind the boat constitute a "shrouded" propeller? This seems to be the standard from the NAMBA Nats that I have attended.
Would 2 inches be OK without protection from the sides and above? Just looking for what "shrouded" means or do we need to tighten up that definition?

So, does a flat piece of aluminum placed 6 inches to 1 foot behind the boat constitute a "shrouded" propeller? This seems to be the standard from the NAMBA Nats that I have attended.
Would 2 inches be OK without protection from the sides and above? Just looking for what "shrouded" means or do we need to tighten up that definition?
Doug, That seems to be the Million dollar question. I personally run 3 sided( two sides and across the back) prop guards on all my stands. I was merely replying to the hot pits question.

Back