NAMBA strut question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed.

Maybe a dumb question being that I'm the Scale Director for D14 but how easy is it to find documentation on length of the real boat for the drive dog rule?

Is it documentation based on photos?
Sam,No documentation that I know of, I;ll pull some pics from home to show 3-4 typical examples of current and old struts.

Matt, if you use the leading edge of the prop as your datum point, it doesn't matter what size your drive dog is in length.
Youre right Joe. I think this would a great change to the IMPBA rules.

Agreed.

Maybe a dumb question being that I'm the Scale Director for D14 but how easy is it to find documentation on length of the real boat for the drive dog rule?

Is it documentation based on photos?
Sam,No documentation that I know of, I;ll pull some pics from home to show 3-4 typical examples of current and old struts.

Matt, if you use the leading edge of the prop as your datum point, it doesn't matter what size your drive dog is in length.
Youre right Joe. I think this would a great change to the IMPBA rules.
I have some boat plans of a modern day era boat. I can come up with some drawings.

As promised, strut photos ! HOT

As you can see, most of these struts extend beyond the transom anywhere from 2" to 6" max, or just under the bottom of the boat.

S Cooper 01 Strut.jpg

S Bud T6 01 Strut.jpg

S DYC 01 Strut.jpg

S Elam 01 Strut.jpg

S Emcor 01 Strut.jpg

S Jones 01 Strut.jpg

S Llumar 01 Strut.jpg

S U10 2001 5.JPG

S U12 2001 T5 1 5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

As you can see, most of these struts extend beyond the transom anywhere from 2" to 6" max, or just under the bottom of the boat.
Just curious guys, is there any advantage to having two blades mounting the strut then one vertical like most hardware? IE flow and turbulence to the prop.
default_cool.png

Joe here is what I built my hull at and heres a pic of the real hull.I should be fine but need your imput Thanks Shann

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

Just curious guys, is there any advantage to having two blades mounting the strut then one vertical like most hardware? IE flow and turbulence to the prop.
default_cool.png
Not really. The twin blade strut went into use when boats started running turbine engines due to the single blade struts bending, or worse. Since our power plants haven't gained that much power, relatively speaking, we don't have the same issue. Then again, even when running a 3500+ HP twin turbo Allison instead of the original 2000 HP Merlin, the 7325 Pak hull still ran a single blade strut.

What a twin blade strut will do is prevent you from adjusting the prop depth or thrust angle since it would have a fixed setting on it, just like the full sized boat struts do

Joe here is what I built my hull at and heres a pic of the real hull.I should be fine but need your imput Thanks Shann
Shannon,

So what is the dimension from the transom to the forward face of the prop hub, with spacing for the flex shaft ?

See my pdf example sheet.

Take a pic with a ruler next to the strut. (ruler, what an old term)

As I race scales.

I would go to my district director submits my boat information.

At that point the you will get your answer if you can race the boat.

It is not up to us to make the boat legal.

Only NAMBA or IMPBA can.

We all have a opinion that does not matter.

Just submit your boat per the rule book turn in $5 and you will get [emoji106]or[emoji107]

See you at the pond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been running this strut that we made using the articulated hard shaft in our 1/8 SCALE FE hydros in R/C Unlimiteds. We also have a couple of nitro boats using this same strut. We presented it to the R/C U board with pictures and scaled down measurements from a modern type hull, since the drive dog is past the transom of the hull. It works and has Scale appearance . So I'm sure in other clubs ect.. if they provide proof that's how the real boat was configured, then present it to who is in charge and it shouldn't be a problem. Just my 2 pennies worth IMO.

IMG_2120.PNG

When I go back to the shop I will get a accurate measurement and let you know. I don't remember off the top if my head, old age lol.

As I race scales.

I would go to my district director submits my boat information.

At that point the you will get your answer if you can race the boat.

It is not up to us to make the boat legal.

Only NAMBA or IMPBA can.

We all have a opinion that does not matter.

Just submit your boat per the rule book turn in $5 and you will get [emoji106]or[emoji107]

See you at the pond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John,

We will pursue this for clarity matters, possible IMPBA rule addition.

It appears to be a concern for some.

After looking at my last post I put the boat strut back in cause I'm getting ready for paint so here is a pic of my strut and the pictures I started this build off of that was sent to me by Kevein Eacret about strut placement being at the rear of the sponsons and not the transom but I really would like to know if this fits into IMPBA rules?? I should BUT there is always that 1 person to complain I've had it in the past and would like no arguments about this one that's all easy peasie

20525884_1436333679753890_8486197421832852088_n.jpg

20479851_1435373446516580_7221222959168236396_n.jpg

20180620_143422.jpg

According to John It doesn't matter. The ScaleDirector for your district is all that matters. I would get in touch with them.

I was able to kinda hold a tape measure and snap a pic for a measurement, its roughly 3/4 - 1 " from transom to back of drive dog. This measurement was scaled down from one of the real boats by the builder of our hulls.

IMG_2133.jpg

Back