My new .12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe this is a better idea of what I'm asking.
think your tune pipe is on the short side. You may have to leave the header alittle bit longer for your pipe to work wright. Rod Geraghty Had mine cut and sat wright. If you want mesurments, Its 7 1/2 from begining of the header/block to the fat part of the tune pipe. If I remember wright thats the spot most are setting theres up at. On second hand you might be wright on where to cut that header.EDIT..Ok IF THAT PIC IS WRIGHT? UNCUT HEADER YOUR AT 9" WRIGHT NOW.. TAKE 2" WOULD SET YOU AT 7".. I START AT 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 first. Its BETTER TO CUT LITTLE BY LITTLE THEN TAKE ONE CUT AND YOU ENDUP WRONG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well wouldn't you know. If I were to cut it where I have it marked a few posts up, it would make it exactly 7-1/2" from the header block. If my memory serves me well, with .12s I've built in the past, I think I was starting them at 8" and working from there.

Marty

Well wouldn't you know. If I were to cut it where I have it marked a few posts up, it would make it exactly 7-1/2" from the header block to the fattest part of the pipe . If my memory serves me well, with .12s I've built in the past, I think I was starting them at 8" and working from there.

Marty

Well wouldn't you know. If I were to cut it where I have it marked a few posts up, it would make it exactly 7-1/2" from the header block to the fattest part of the pipe . If my memory serves me well, with .12s I've built in the past, I think I was starting them at 8" and working from there.

Marty

[/quote With my exaust coupler it give me up to 1/2 leway on my 7 1/2 setup.

think your tune pipe is on the short side. You may have to leave the header alittle bit longer for your pipe to work wright. Rod Geraghty Had mine cut and sat wright. If you want mesurments, Its 7 1/2 from begining of the header/block to the fat part of the tune pipe. If I remember wright thats the spot most are setting theres up at. On second hand you might be wright on where to cut that header.EDIT..Ok IF THAT PIC IS WRIGHT? UNCUT HEADER YOUR AT 9" WRIGHT NOW.. TAKE 2" WOULD SET YOU AT 7".. I START AT 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 first. Its BETTER TO CUT LITTLE BY LITTLE THEN TAKE ONE CUT AND YOU ENDUP WRONG.

Sorry! I didn't see your edit.

Sorry! I didn't see your edit.
no prob.. I'm hoping to run my bad boy next week if the weather warmsup. I rather run mine in the 60's then colder temps.

Hopefully I will be able to have mine on the water in about a month. If I'm not satisfied with its performance, I will built a JAE .12. and throw all the hardware that I have for this boat in that. If it runs great, I will build a .21 rigger next. I got all my pit gear together, so I have been working on my Pit/Flight Box. I crashed my T-28 trojan this weekend. Broke it in half :angry: .

Marty, glenn measures his pipe length a little different from most people as I think that what he's referring to is he measures from the glow plug straight back then across to the widest part of the pipe.

Marty, glenn measures his pipe length a little different from most people as I think that what he's referring to is he measures from the glow plug straight back then across to the widest part of the pipe.
Measuring from the plug to the widest part of the pipe, mine is still a bit long 2 1/4" but the header is cut well back where it starts to curve.

Hard to see in the pics but maybe it will give you an idea.

This is Glenn's pipe and header.

+1 on Klass Kote paint being kinda heavy (don't ask) :rolleyes:

ababec83.jpg

e5710d5e-1.jpg

The length will vary depending on what header thaqt you use. I've been using a Dynamite from a Team Associated (TC-3 I think) and cut off at least the last 180 bend in it. Wider bends or more length coming out of the engine can make a difference with how Glenn measures his. Most of us settle for measuring the pipe length from the glow plug following the path of the exhaust.

The length will vary depending on what header thaqt you use. I've been using a Dynamite from a Team Associated (TC-3 I think) and cut off at least the last 180 bend in it. Wider bends or more length coming out of the engine can make a difference with how Glenn measures his. Most of us settle for measuring the pipe length from the glow plug following the path of the exhaust.
Each boat and engines will run different from each other. No two boats are alike. start at a safe point and start cutting alitle at a time until you find that sweet spot! :D

Marty. measure the length from the hole where the water fitting goes straight to the high point of the pipe...it should be around 2". If you are at 2.25 from the glow plug to the high point you are close. The boat looks nice!

GQ

Okay, Next question. I haven't even taken the plug out of the NR .12 yet. I'm assuming it's a type of NR plug.

Is this the plug of choice for this engine? Also, what is the popular type of fuel for these .12s?

Marty

Okay, Next question. I haven't even taken the plug out of the NR .12 yet. I'm assuming it's a type of NR plug.

Is this the plug of choice for this engine? Also, what is the popular type of fuel for these .12s?

Marty
Marty, Mr. lights is setting HC for me and not sure but think at or around .004 and I will be using 50-65% depending on whats available... As far as plug not sure what I'll run....

Marty
Marty, Mr. lights is setting HC for me and not sure but think at or around .004 and I will be using 50-65% depending on whats available... As far as plug not sure what I'll run....
Some guys run MC9's and others will run OD 89.. I'm Running OD cool blues since Im running 50% nitro. Did you take your engine apart and imspecked it and clean it out? I do that to new motors . Just incase if there any metal shavings in it or other crap thats in there. On head clearance.. isnt .004 alittle close for hight nitro?

Marty
Some guys run MC9's and others will run OD 89.. I'm Running OD cool blues since Im running 50% nitro. Did you take your engine apart and imspecked it and clean it out? I do that to new motors . Just incase if there any metal shavings in it or other crap thats in there. On head clearance.. isnt .004 alittle close for hight nitro?

Just right ;)

Marty

Just right ;)
I should ask Glen about it. I want this motor to run and last me..past year I'm starting to have real engines and dont want to mess them up.

Back