My new .12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the status report on the Thor?
Hey Kevin! Making progress. I used to have cases full of building materials and parts, but I have thinned them out over the years, so I have been spending more time looking for stuff than building. I have Walt's tank in and the bottom skinned. I got the cowl, and the NR from Glenn. Just putting things together. Oh! I also have some props coming from Shoboat. Probably the biggest thing delaying my progress is, almost my entire family and most of my close friends live in Japan, so I have been glued to either the telephone or the TV for the past few days. Fortunately, everyone I know escaped with no injuries and just minor property damage.

Marty

Marty, I am so glad to hear that!!! I still have some Hammerhead kit parts if you want them. Just let me know. Ryon Shaw

What's the status report on the Thor?
Hey Kevin! Making progress. I used to have cases full of building materials and parts, but I have thinned them out over the years, so I have been spending more time looking for stuff than building. I have Walt's tank in and the bottom skinned. I got the cowl, and the NR from Glenn. Just putting things together. Oh! I also have some props coming from Shoboat. Probably the biggest thing delaying my progress is, almost my entire family and most of my close friends live in Japan, so I have been glued to either the telephone or the TV for the past few days. Fortunately, everyone I know escaped with no injuries and just minor property damage.

Marty
Good to hear your family escaped!! My prayers and thoughs to them!!

Here are some more pics. Got the strut set. I'm not sure whether I like this strut. It sticks out a little too far for my fancy and it's not adjustable. I think I have a pretty good idea where to put it, but I would like the option of making minor adjustments. Oh well, I'll get an adjustable on for my next rigger. These motor mounts are made out of really light aluminum. I still want to drill out some more weight on them though. You can see where I built the tank in. Most people like the option of removing them, I usually wait until I build a better boat before I remove them. The cowl looks good. I can see where I will need to do a little modification to it to get it to mount flush with the deck, but I think it will add some style to the boat.

Marty

Mike, I haven't heard about an adjustable strut yet for the .12 or .21 for that matter, only the gas version and that was 2 days ago. Joe is trying to have a new site up this weekend and said that whatever new that he has will be on that. If he does have a new .12 strut I'll pick one up at the Toledo show. I've got a .12 and a gas version out for paint right now and am picking up those too at Toledo. The week after I've got 3 boats to finish, the other is a Rampage gas mono that's really close to being done.

Mike, I haven't heard about an adjustable strut yet for the .12 or .21 for that matter, only the gas version and that was 2 days ago. Joe is trying to have a new site up this weekend and said that whatever new that he has will be on that. If he does have a new .12 strut I'll pick one up at the Toledo show. I've got a .12 and a gas version out for paint right now and am picking up those too at Toledo. The week after I've got 3 boats to finish, the other is a Rampage gas mono that's really close to being done.
yep we kidnap Ron's JAE's. holding them on paint hostage.lol..lol..lol..

Ron, If you're going to the at show, maybe I ought to have you pick one of those up for me ;)

I might have to pick up a few but if Joe is rolling them out this weekend it may be easier and cheaper to get them directly from him.

Joe now has the new site up and somewhat running but there are no pictures of the new struts on yet.

Is it because carbon is lighter or looks cool? Who cares :p

DSC00114.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever used POR 15 brand two-part Hardnose Paint?

They do make rust paint and tank sealer, but they also make a 2 part polyurethane paint called "Hardnose"that can be thinned with xylene. There isn't a very large selection of colors, but with my prior experience, 2-part polyurethanes are bullet proof with hi nitro fuels. Keep in mind just because a paint says urethane doesn't mean it is fuel proof. It must be 2 part polyurethane. "NOT ACRYLIC URETHANE" The reason I'm asking is if someone has any likes or dislikes about this product. I'm leaning towards purchasing it for this .12 project because it sells in 8 ounce containers for $30, and not quarts for $70. 1 quart of polyurethane with catalyst and reducer added has a 600sq.ft coverage. That's quite a few boats painted the same color:D. POR 15 also has a Glysten Clear Coat. I already bought that for my flight/Pit box.

They do make rust paint and tank sealer, but they also make a 2 part polyurethane paint called "Hardnose"that can be thinned with xylene. There isn't a very large selection of colors, but with my prior experience, 2-part polyurethanes are bullet proof with hi nitro fuels. Keep in mind just because a paint says urethane doesn't mean it is fuel proof. It must be 2 part polyurethane. "NOT ACRYLIC URETHANE" The reason I'm asking is if someone has any likes or dislikes about this product. I'm leaning towards purchasing it for this .12 project because it sells in 8 ounce containers for $30, and not quarts for $70. 1 quart of polyurethane with catalyst and reducer added has a 600sq.ft coverage. That's quite a few boats painted the same color:D. POR 15 also has a Glysten Clear Coat. I already bought that for my flight/Pit box.
Man Thats costly and two,you have to be carefull on how much paint to you on it.. that can add weight quickly.. I've been using NAPA's CROSSFIRE,DUPONT's NASON and PPG SHOPLINE AND OMINI.. ALL ARE THERE BUDGET LINES PAINT AND THEY ALL WORKED WELL FOR ME ON MY BOATS. ALL ARE TWO PARTS EVEN THREE PARTS PAINTS...AS FOR BULLIT PROOF PAINTS? THAT WOULD BE IMORON"S =HIGHTLY TOXIC PAINTS TO SPRAY THAT CAN KILL YOU IF YOU NOT WEARING PROPER RESPORATOR AND AIR SYSTEMS..JOE JUST USE PPG CONCEPT CLEAR ON MY JAE.12 ..CAME OUT GREAT. USED HIS SMALL TOUCH UP GUN ON IT..EVEN DID RON OLSONS GAS JAE RIGGER WITH IT TOO.. ITS IN WHITE IN THE PIC..

Thanks for the info, Misshydro :D ! Be assured, I have a nice respirator system at my company. That's where I'll be doing my painting. I have a friend from high school that did body work for a living out of his garage. He always shrugged off serious respiratory safety and now he's missing quite a few neurotransmitters.

Back