My new .12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info, Misshydro :D ! Be assured, I have a nice respirator system at my company. That's where I'll be doing my painting. I have a friend from high school that did body work for a living out of his garage. He always shrugged off serious respiratory safety and now he's missing quite a few neurotransmitters.
Thats why we dont spray IMORON's paints.. we'll stick to the automotive urethane's paint system..shooting IMORON paints ,you'll need a fresh air system.. we dont have that+cost alot of money. we use the good charcole resporators mask.we dont paint alot. Once or twise every other week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey MissHydro, I found the Hardnose polyurethane at NAPA. I guess I can just as easily check out their crossfire line. Thanks for the info :D . This is the respiration system that I use when I paint. It is 100% fresh air. The photo doesn't include the 50' hose. P.S. I(ain't)moron :eek:

Marty

Hey MissHydro, I found the Hardnose polyurethane at NAPA. I guess I can just as easily check out their crossfire line. Thanks for the info :D . This is the respiration system that I use when I paint. It is 100% fresh air. The photo doesn't include the 50' hose. P.S. I(ain't)moron :eek:

Marty
ok I'd added 1 to many O on imron.Yes Ron your toxic..LOL..LOL..LOL What does that fresh air system cost?

It is made by Allegro Industries. I think it costs about $850. I bought it about 1-1/2 years ago from Grainger. I work in the electrical field so we have it to use will working in vaults or electrical rooms where toxic gases have been detected. I also use it for painting panel covers in the shop. We didn't buy it to paint model boats, but I'm going to use it.

It is made by Allegro Industries. I think it costs about $850. I bought it about 1-1/2 years ago from Grainger. I work in the electrical field so we have it to use will working in vaults or electrical rooms where toxic gases have been detected. I also use it for painting panel covers in the shop. We didn't buy it to paint model boats, but I'm going to use it.
We didn't buy it to paint model boats, but I'm going to use it.So ,whos cares, use it for the boats anyways. If I had access to that system I would use it too.

So MISSHYDRO, What do you use for a sanding sealer? I used to use microbeads in clear poly urethane. Can you still get them, or is there a better product out there now?

So MISSHYDRO, What do you use for a sanding sealer? I used to use microbeads in clear poly urethane. Can you still get them, or is there a better product out there now?
I've been using automotive sealers,most been using Dupi-color gray primer sealer and if its a new fiberglass hull or part. I use a red scotch brightpad to scuff the firberglass parts/hull with,then used tar,wax&grease remover. Then tac it off then I use the green ETCH PRIMER AS A SEALER.. LEARD THAT FROM A OLDTIMER IN AUTOBODY. AFTER THAT YOU CAN PAINT OVER THE ETCH PRIMER OR USED A PRIMER SEALER. SINCE I BEEN DOING BOATS ,I've been using dupi-color ECTCH PRIMERS AND PRIMER SEALERS. AS FOR SANDING SEALERS I USE A RED OR GRAY SCOTCHBRIGHT PAD. BUT MOST OF THE TIMES AFTER YOU SEALED IT YOU JUST TACK CLOTH IT AND START SPRAYING THE COLORS.ITS THE SAME PROSSES AS PAINTING REAL AUTOMOTIVES.SAME SAND AND PAINT PREPERATION..MY HUBBY TOUGHT ME ALOT SINCE HE"S BEEN DOING IT FOR 28+YEARS.

Thanks MISSHYDRO! I will try it.

Here are some pictures of getting everything fitted for linkage. You can also see my improvised water proof switch. I've been doing it like this for years never having one fail.

All in all, it's going together pretty good.

Marty

Thanks MISSHYDRO! I will try it.

Here are some pictures of getting everything fitted for linkage. You can also see my improvised water proof switch. I've been doing it like this for years never having one fail.

All in all, it's going together pretty good.

Marty
I never like the idea putting the switch the switch at the rear. I have mine at the front of the motor compartment wall. I bend the rod like a L so it sticks out of my cowl.heres pics of my lightweight JAE.12. I won first place at fortwayne R/C show with it.

Sweet paint job! I was thinking about getting the JAE.12, but I ended up doing the same thing as usual and started building from scratch. I have put the switch in the engine compartment before, but usually with bigger boats. Anyway, looks great! I'm not going to have any natural birch showing on top. I might leave the bottom just clear coated.

Marty

Sweet paint job! I was thinking about getting the JAE.12, but I ended up doing the same thing as usual and started building from scratch. I have put the switch in the engine compartment before, but usually with bigger boats. Anyway, looks great! I'm not going to have any natural birch showing on top. I might leave the bottom just clear coated.

Marty
I did the paint job this way because ,one is it looks great and two because it save on the weight factor. these boats are very sentive to weight. This one is alittle over 1/2 pound light then my first jae.12 kit build. This one was scatched built with 1/16 ply for the tube and 1/32 for the skins. Zip has that kit out now..But we didnt want to wait for 5 months before it came out.

For this boat, I used 1/32 for the skins, 1/8 for the bulk heads, 1/4" ply + 1/8 carbon transom, and the frame is made out of 3/32. This is about the 6th or 7th .12 that I have scratch built. The .12's usually come out at 2 pounds plus or minus an ounce. This one might be a little lighter because I hogged out the frame way more than I ever have. In other words, I used probably half as much of the 3/32 than usual. I also hogged out the engine mount and skimped on epoxy. In the past, I've generally used the same building style on all my riggers. I wish I owned a mail scale. The .12 that I use for my avatar I got to run over 60mph with a NR 5 port. That was the only one I ever got over 60. That was 6 or 7 years ago. I thought that was pretty **** fast back then. I wonder what you guys are running now?

Marty

I forgot! Our Receptionist has a Pitney Bowes machine. I put all the parts (every last screw) into the tub of my .12. I set it on the scale and it came to 2 pounds .04 ounces. I guess it will end up at about 2 pounds 2 ounces with paint. It's a little heavy :huh: Oh! well. This one is just a warm up round to get me back in the water. It has been six years after all.

Marty

For this boat, I used 1/32 for the skins, 1/8 for the bulk heads, 1/4" ply + 1/8 carbon transom, and the frame is made out of 3/32. This is about the 6th or 7th .12 that I have scratch built. The .12's usually come out at 2 pounds plus or minus an ounce. This one might be a little lighter because I hogged out the frame way more than I ever have. In other words, I used probably half as much of the 3/32 than usual. I also hogged out the engine mount and skimped on epoxy. In the past, I've generally used the same building style on all my riggers. I wish I owned a mail scale. The .12 that I use for my avatar I got to run over 60mph with a NR 5 port. That was the only one I ever got over 60. That was 6 or 7 years ago. I thought that was pretty **** fast back then. I wonder what you guys are running now?

Marty
My rear transom is 3/16 and the other two walls are 1/16. we'd call Rod to get some advice from him on it.. My first jae.12 zip built was alittle on the heavy side about 2 3/4 pounds and alittle on the slow side and breaking in a new motor.didnt help.But Rod saw the video thought it would be a good heat point racing boat.Joe=Hubby was driving my rigger while I was videoing it and getting wet from the rooster tail it was throwing off.He thought that was funny!..I want to see more for them kicking butt at the races this year.

Glenn Quarles says his Texan is right at 1 pound 14 ounce running. I'm all into heat racing and I have never been a SAW guy, so maybe 2 pounds 2 ounces won't be so bad. I'll just have to break it in with a light prop. Nice video Misshydro. What engine are you running in that thing?

Marty

Glenn Quarles says his Texan is right at 1 pound 14 ounce running. I'm all into heat racing and I have never been a SAW guy, so maybe 2 pounds 2 ounces won't be so bad. I'll just have to break it in with a light prop. Nice video Misshydro. What engine are you running in that thing?

Marty
what makes Glens texas light is his front sponson are make out of balsa.. I'm Running a motor that Rod picked out for me and done it up is a AXE ROSSI.12 COBRA. Going to build a lighter backup rigger and put the NOVA ROSSI 5 PORT in that.

When I ordered my NR TOP 12 5 port from Glenn, he explained to me about the header length. I tried to keep up with his explanation, and I just couldn't. He said something about 2", but I didn't quite get from what point to measure 2". If any of you NR TOP 12 5 port owners, could maybe post a pic with a ruler in it, it would sure help me out. Maybe some other people, too.

Marty

When I ordered my NR TOP 12 5 port from Glenn, he explained to me about the header length. I tried to keep up with his explanation, and I just couldn't. He said something about 2", but I didn't quite get from what point to measure 2". If any of you NR TOP 12 5 port owners, could maybe post a pic with a ruler in it, it would sure help me out. Maybe some other people, too.

Marty
What pipe Marty???

Marty
What pipe Marty???
I have Glenn's custom made pipe.

Latest posts

Back