Breaking News! Dead boat penalty?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good points Andy. Chances are they won't get hit if they aren't there.

Also, I don't care who you are, a rookie, or a guy with multiple US1s. If I'm pitting for you, you will be told where the dead boats are EVERY lap! If my driver hits a dead boat at least I know I did all I could to help him avoid it.

Neither driver nor pit man can help it if a competitor lays down right in front of you, things happen fast out there. But there shouldn't be dead boats hit after they have been passed safely for a lap or two.

They look pretty the first time in the water, but after that they are a race boat. Kind of like Nascar, they look good coming off the trailer but after that they can get a rash or crash. I don't think anybody wants to crash into some one else but it does happen. It's the attitude of the crasher after it happens!!

Brad

The reason I brought up this subject is "quality of racing".

To have 5 or 6 boats start a heat and 4 or 5 boats finish the heat would be fantastic.

There is a thousand reasons why a boat does not finish a heat, but I think our success rate could vastly improve

if everyone had a conscious mind set to "Finish the heat".

Things that could help, in no particular order.

1. Prep time on the boat. Both set up detail and practice time.

2. Race to finish. Race hard to win, but plan to finish.

3. Bring less boats to race. Two well prepped boats vs. 4 boats with little maintenance and prep time.

4. Weather - Sometimes there is a 1 or 2 hour period during the day when the sun creates way too much glare

at a critical point on the race course. Clubs normally know the particular situation at their lake and could allow time in the schedule for a possible one or two hour down time.

I know there will objections to my suggestions, but my main objective is to see more boats finish heats.

Each individual can work on their own best ways to achieve that.

Bring on a great 2018 racing season!
I have not raced in some time, but after observing servel bigger races the last year or so - I have to agree, dont see it in all classes- but too many .

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m guilty of much of what Andy mentioned. I have less time to test and practice than ever before but race more boats than ever before. The results have been more DNFs and DNSs on average than ever before. But as I mentioned to Andy racing more boats means more chances at getting around the track so it’s not really a big deal to drop a heat or two in a class. You still feel you had a chance to get your fill of fun in. Andy’s argument is that is part of the problem. People aren’t so worried about not finishing because they have 2 or 3 Boats to run in that round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Andy would call for me instead of letting me know where the dead wood was he would simply tell me what lane to drive in...and I loved it, worked like a charm. I would focus on driving my boat instead of taking my eyes off my boat to try and find the dead boat which in many instances was nearly impossible to spot.

To have 5 or 6 boats start a heat and 4 or 5 boats finish the heat would be fantastic.
I adopted a 2 rule policy a few years back when I was at nats. About half way thru the event I think I had one finish between 16 tries. I was miserable and my feet hurt. I hardly sat down. That when I came up with the 2 rules. Sit more and finish heats. From the day forward at that nats it got a whole lot better. Over the yrs people have to tried to add to my rules. Always it falls under a sub section of rule 1 or 2. Follow these rules and you will have a great race day.
default_biggrin.png

Mike

Here in Houston, the nitro and electric group is small, Our local club is mainly gas boats. L.S.M.B.C. runs a split program (TWO SEPARATE DAYS OF RACING) To the comments above, instead of bringing to many boats for a two day event its split. Day one for the Nitro lineup they will schedule all Hydro's , the second day they will run the mono's! you get to complete one day of hydro's cleanup put away done! Day two all the mono's Trophies are awarded at the end of each day. its different but it does let you concentrate/focus more on your program of racing! I hope I'm not to far off of Andy's post THAT'S AT LEAST 4 BOATS TOTAL OR MORE and time to cleanup each evening without killing yourself, And yea you actually get to take time for fellowship and eats for the family! Rick

Something else that happened and caused a dead boat to be hit by the driver I was calling for.

Neither of us saw the dead boat and were actually looking in the wrong spot because of the buoy numbering system.

We are both more west coast racers and Race NAMBA and IMPBA

West coast is either Turn one for entrance buoy number one then two, three and down to turn two and buoy four ,five ,six as exit buoy on turn two

When we raced on East coast, buoys were entrance buoy one then intermediate buoy two,three four and Five as exit buoy for turn one. Entrance buoy to turn two was six then seven.eight ,nine ,ten and down front straight.

So the announcer kept calling dead boat off Five which would be middle buoy in turn two out west and that is where we looked.

Never saw the dead boat till we hit it because we were looking in wrong spot to start with.

Suggest NAMBA standardize the course numbering system. I really dont care how they number them just be same everywhere you race.

System should be explained at drivers meeting for each race.

Richard

..instead of letting me know where the dead wood was he would simply tell me what lane to drive in... - I agree.

I heard from someone smarter than me a while back - that the subconcious human mind does not process "negative" language very well.

For instance, if I were to tell you "Don't think of an Elephant!" ...what happens? You pictured an elephant in your mind, didn't you?

For most people, their subconscious hears and processes "Think of an Elephant" . Your subconscious filters out the "don't". If your pit man tells you "Don't hit that dead boat off of bouy number 4!" your subconscious will hear... ?

- A famous auto racer, Rick Mears, once said - "To finish first, you must first finish." -

Having a good spotter is a valuable resource on raceday. Like it was stated above by Andy, telling someone what lane to drive is a good way to help a driver avoid dead boats.

Something that hasn't been touched on is the racers who's boat goes dead and they simply walk off the driver's stand. I have seen this happen multiple times. Nobody knows exactly where that boat is besides the driver. This should be announced in every driver's meeting. Simply tell the driver's on the stand where the dead boat is and then proceed to tell the CD so he can announce it again.

Racing incidents happen and sometimes hitting a dead boat just can't be avoided but if everyone would just slowdown and realize we are racing model boats alot of the carnage could be avoided.

When Andy would call for me instead of letting me know where the dead wood was he would simply tell me what lane to drive in...and I loved it, worked like a charm. I would focus on driving my boat instead of taking my eyes off my boat to try and find the dead boat which in many instances was nearly impossible to spot.
Yes. I adopted a similar method with my dad. Driving 60 and 90 Hydro you often have a few seconds to take your eyes off your boat, locate the dead boat and decide what lane you will be to get by it. My dad would tell me what lane the boat was in. Basically using this logic. The boat is in lane 1 to 3. Means I'm going on the outside of if it. Lanes 4 to 6, there is room on the inside if there is pressure. 6 to 10 I'm going inside... and he reminds me what lane the boat is in every lap. I don't even look for the dead boat. I just drive the lanes that the boat ISN'T in. The last dead boat I hit I believe was at the nats in 2004 I think when there was a lot of boats, a lot of traffic and tight competition and he forgot the call the boat again on one of the following laps.

Just reading the various ways people call dead boats is interesting. Some tell the driver where to drive, others where not to drive. This brings a question, what do you tell a driver, like me, that doesn't race or get to practice often, if ever? Do you change the way you make calls or stay with the tried and true?

I like the caller to give me his best guess as to the location of the dead boat. When I go by it and pic it up just remind me lap after lap.

I dont like to be told where to drive my boat. Conditions around me like water and other boats are MY responsibility. And the CD CANNOT tell me where to drive the boat ether.. so listening to others on your line.. bad idea to me.

Dead boat, lane 3 off buoy 2..... or slow boat lane 4 on the back.. that's all the info I want. If there is a dead boat out side the racing lanes let me know about it when it goes down and AFTER THE RACE.. not each lap.

Grim

I like to think of it in drag racing terms.

If I end up in 2nd or 3rd or whatever I say to myself "that's all the track would hold", at least I didn't smoke the tires.
default_tongue.png

Painting your boats bright colours sure helps too, not only driving them but when they're sitting dead in the water. I don't know how many times I've looked for a dead black boat each lap and only saw it when the race was over...

Back to the caller after some good points by Terry . I tell the driver a half lap ahead where the boat is and if driver is rattled or panicked just give a heading "WIDE" TIGHT" Lane one TIGHT etc . I want my caller to continuously repeat at least a half lap ahead where the dead wood is , what lap we are on etc .. The worst is when it happens right in front of you . We all make mistakes but IMHO penalties would not be proper for all situations .

I like what Tom said. I tell the driver to stay wide or tight until the driver sees the dead boat. My driver is usually good enough to remember where the dead boat is.

Unless the wind moves it around.

The way I call for and the way I want it is different. I usually race with Eric Bourlet. If you tell him were the dead boat is, it like a magnet and he is drawn in. So he works better with lanes to drive. Which works well in those situations when there is little time. I give him the option when its in the middle lane in the corner.. But if he is racing for position I will tell him to go in. Works nice when you have several boats in a corner. You can say enter in 2, apex go to 4 and come out in 2. I jsut drove him out of the corner with 3 dead boats.

Now I like to have the dead boat picture in my mind. Stuff happens fast in the twin class and Eric dont do well with that. So just tell me the lane and buoy. We talk in a 5 buoy language. So I can pin point it in my mind and use it for strategy on setting up passing too. It works well for us and I can says that both our calling has won us many a race.

It is really up to the driver. I will ask someone that I have not called for what they expect. If they dont tell me what they want, I will call them like its Eric. If they want something different I go with that.

Mike

Well if only one boat makes it to the start buzzer it ain't that bad................................
default_wink.png

Maybe We need a green light and yellow Caution light on top of the starting clock.(Slow down)(No Passing when yellow light is on) Till every driver/pit man, acknowledge(loudly)to race announcer, that there good to go.(dead wood accounted for) then go back to green light racing. Some times will finish under yellow, but will finish in one piece.

P.S. If your boat will not stay running at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, your boat should not be racing.

Tell Me, How many times have you heard the announcer tell the same guy/ girl, 2 or 3 times around,(EX "Watch that Dead boat off of Buoy 3"),and then hit the boat anyways,

Dead Wood Limit: limit the amount of dead boat on the course for the race to be finalized (EX. 5 boats in heat ,3 die, with 3laps to go),( Race is called at that point) for 1st and 2cd. Why Race all out for 2 boats.

P.S. More dead wood , Bigger worst odds. Isn't funny how they all pile up at one spot.

Too Original post. My boat (DNF or DNS) twice for a 3 heat race. (EX:heat 1 DNF -100 points, heat2 DNS -100 Points,1 place +400 points=( +200 Points Total), but shouldn't exceed Negative for points earned.(EX: heat1 DNF-100 points DNS -100 points heat3, 4th Place 169 points =( -31 points Total).This Is not the way to get people to keep their boat running out on the course. (crap happens) plain and simple, No one goes racing to put their boat in the water to be just a target.

To Get "Quality of Racing"...You first need Equality of racing.. the playing field needs to be equal on technical standards, Not just Hull and engine displacement.

Limited prop size, Nitro content, compression or head clearance,(eats up glow plugs),. to many of us are trying to pull out all the power out of these little engines to only make them less reliable .don't get me wrong , a good mod motor can me very reliable, but not with an over size prop, that we all try to swing. Keeping these tech standers equal, will give more reliable runs with better multi boat finishes, which leaves it down to timing the start clock and driving skills

P.S; (EX: A sport 40 with a octura X447 or X448/2 or 3 blade, will have a more reliable finish over a sport 40 with a X 450 or X452.)Maybe your boat can push a bigger prop. not everyone can.

Oh yea! have you ever been at a race when the retrieve boat had more run time than all the RC boats put together

Scott W

look at NASCAR and what making all the cars equal did........great Daytona 500 now was that NOT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back