AMB System

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do believe that the "96" Nats in Ft. Wayne was the first Nats for the AMB system.

Steve Ball

@Ian: Did you race hydros? I did. It was for shure a BIG delay in the signal at the starts in hydros. We saw even bigger fauly starts then 5 meters wich the judges just did not want to see (it doesnt help in anyway either regarding that when the startline is at the very end of the left hand side of the pontoon and the referees are standing in the middle). In the rule book it states the boat can not pass over the starting line ontil "0 sek" and they absolutely where doing that for the complete worlds... The judges ignored the rule book and just looked at what AMB or BBK's signal where "saying"... Thats not how it should be according to the rulebook.

If the AMB system will be used further in NAVIGA it for shure needs to be re-written that its the AMB signal that states the faulty start and not that the boat was physically over the startline when the milling time was at 0 sek... Or maybee have some referees with some balls to call the starts anyway... Or have their eyes opened to begin with... ;)

Ian again: Did I understand you right regarding voltage... So for an hydro guy it would be "better" to have as low voltage as possible to the personal transponder and you could make faulty starts by even bigger margin then lets say 5 meters?

@ Gerathy: the full scale auto racing systems have way better reolution etc then the RC system we use. And I think they also use infra red beems to help out also.

Again: the use of AMB in RC boats are mainly to help the organizers. In outriggers I just can not see what it does for the RACER though.

Hopefully they have figured it out until Italy in 2008. :rolleyes:

I did not race hydros but was in the start box for a few races. The audible signal for the start is delayed so some confusion could stem from that. The strobe flash is what determines when the line shows the start and that is instantly. There should have been a judge on the line to confirm what the computer showed. Next time I will sugest that is what is done so we can be confirm the software is working when the starts are made.

Reducing your voltage will just give you a poorer signal and reduce the chance of being counted at all.

The lines will not count until both lines are passed under and they would not count until immediatly after the flash. It is hard for the racers to be 100% sure of a good start when standing not in line with the counting lines but that has always been the case.

Naviga is commited to continue using the AMB system and by the time it is used for the next champs the counting programs will be even better. Also with the system the mixing of races will probably be done by the computer which will make it totaly random.

I agree it is easier for the organisers but it is a fairer judge of the start in hydro and offshore

Ian

@ Gerathy: the full scale auto racing systems have way better reolution etc then the RC system we use. And I think they also use infra red beems to help out also.

I don't know about the resolution but I do know the auto systems have a ton more power.

The transponder we use on a Formula Ford is a much larger than the transponders we used in the RC boats.I know for a fact that the loop wires are buried in the track at Road America and Mid-Ohio road racing tracks here in the U.S.

The NASCAR systems have "7" sets of loop wires buried around the track so when a caution is displayed it locks the positions of the cars immediately.The NASCAR AMB system has been covered in great detail on most all NASCAR shows on the SPEED channel.

The full size auto systems I have personally been around are bullet-proof.

We have to remember that 99.9% of all AMB systems are "dedicated" systems.They are set-up,calibrated and tested and then left alone.The organizations that have these "dedicated" systems become familiar with and comfortable with its operation and even then their systems require constant hands on attention.

The IMPBA AMB system was a "traveling" system with no live trained bodies traveling with that system.Right out of the starting gate our "traveling" system was going to face problems that "dedicated" systems do not face.Comparing dedicated to traveling systems is an apples and oranges comparison.

Is it best that I stop here or I am going to say some things that best should be just left dead and buried with the AMB.

All I can say is I have been to "3" IMPBA Internats where the AMB was used and it was a complete P.I.A.

Sorry Ian, to allow a system that you can jump the start up to 5 meters at a WC is remakable????

Also nice to hear the Norwegian guys say after the race that we new about this problem,YES good to know after........

At the moment this system is not working 100% so it`s just a piece of junk, also the speed will be higher in the future so i hope they can come up with something good.....

When it works it will be a good help but to "test" it at a WC and rely 100% on it is not right.

Anders

Also, the big cars, bikes and so on have a AMB tranmitter that has almost a size of a cigarett package.

Anders

Last edited by a moderator:
Back