LiveTime/MyLaps– Lap Counting System

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny Blake

The time has come to give an update on the transponder system that District 19 is presently using.

First let me Thank the Team that played a major part in making it happen. Myself, LeAnn Blake, David Siembor and Jason Neves.

The Racing has come to an end and LiveTime was successful for the 2023 season. We did face some challenges along the way but the LiveTime support gave us a lot of assistance when needed. We are proposing a rule now for District 19 that everyone has to have a working transponder for their boats in the 2024 Racing season.

If there is any district thinking of using LiveTime/MyLaps Racing System, please contact me. I will be happy to give you the information and help you.

Attachments

• Resized_20231111_083004.jpg
    Resized_20231111_083004.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20231111_083358.jpg
    Resized_20231111_083358.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
The cables are 100 foot long each and the next photo is how I connect to a quick link. To make the connection there are 4MM RC connectors to make connection to the coaxial cable.

Lenny,

Can a driver with multiple boats just move the transponder from one boat to the next between heats? Or does the timing software require one transponder ID per class you race?

Is is being considered for race registration to have the transponder ID for a boat something you can enter when signing up for a class? Just like your radio frequency? So the organizers can hopefully have that prepopulated for the race weekend.

-Tyler

Lenny,

Can a driver with multiple boats just move the transponder from one boat to the next between heats? Or does the timing software require one transponder ID per class you race?

Is is being considered for race registration to have the transponder ID for a boat something you can enter when signing up for a class? Just like your radio frequency? So the organizers can hopefully have that prepopulated for the race weekend.

-Tyler
Boaters can move the transponder from boat to boat for different classes, but it is not a good idea if you happen to have a back-to-back on the same day of a race. This would cause a delay in the race as you have to get into your radio box to remove it and replace it each time. In Dist. 19 we do not allow them to swap transponders between boats in the same day. They can move it from Saturday to Sunday etc...

Yes, on the question about keying in your transponder number on each boat/event entered online. This would be pre-populated come race weekend.

Good to see we're moving into the future for boats. Can a club build this & what is the price for it all. How much wire needed, what kind & building instructions. Do the wires or wire hook from what In the water to what on land.
Either way thanks for making a big move forward.

Good to see we're moving into the future for boats. Can a club build this & what is the price for it all. How much wire needed, what kind & building instructions. Do the wires or wire hook from what In the water to what on land.
Either way thanks for making a big move forward.
Here is a little info on cost. The MyLaps system can be purchased from Livetime Scoring for $3,500 and the program from Livetime to operate is about $500 a year. As for the wires and framework that you see in attached pics I made that up myself. My estimate is around $4,500 total.

Attachments

• Beach Frame.jpg
    Beach Frame.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Floataing pontoon.jpg
    Floataing pontoon.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
Here is a little info on cost. The MyLaps system can be purchased from Livetime Scoring for $3,500 and the program from Livetime to operate is about $500 a year. As for the wires and framework that you see in attached pics I made that up myself. My estimate is around $4,500 total.

Attachments

• T Bar for Beach or middle if perm race site.jpg
    T Bar for Beach or middle if perm race site.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • Mylaps Decoder box.jpg
    Mylaps Decoder box.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 1
an an FYI you can order multiple transponders with the same number, so your whole fleet has the same number to keep it all nice and easy.

I also assume the transponders are pretty robust from what I have seen them deal with in offroad car racing...so mounting them on the outside of the hull is probably OK also.

As an add-on, the new NAMBA Race Entry System (RES) support this system. If a race is setup to use transponders, RES will require you to enter your transponder number when entering. RES will then export all of the entries directly into LiveTime/MyLaps!

Lenny, can you supply us with some verified data as to the accuracy of this system for RC boats?

Last edited:
Hi Don,
I would like for you to contact MyLaps North America in Atlanta, GA at 678-816-4000 to ask them that question concerning accuracy on the RC4 system. It is very hard for me to explain it to you as I am not that technical on electronics.

Don, accuracy is not important. Consistant results are important. As long as it is the same for every heat, It's good. Cd's are not consistant or accurate. Everyone calls the start different. Most CD's are inconsistant. But God bless them for getting up there and doing their best! Lenny has put alot of time and money into trying to improve our sport and I applaud him for it.

Back