Best Radio Telemetry Solutions?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Smith

I last raced in the Fall of 2010. I'm in the process of returning to the hobby and I see that much has changed. One of the most interesting developments seems to be the use of GPS telemetry to display real time boat speed on the transmitter. I've gathered that the higher end Futaba systems (7PX and up) perform this trick quite well. Are there any other solutions?

While away from boats, I spent quite a few years racing R/C cars with Sanwa equipment. I know some of the Sanwa RX's mention 'telemetry' but I can't find any reference to a GPS speed sensor. I suspect this feature is mainly intended to provide data from a Sanwa ESC (temp, voltage, etc).

I tried to do some searching on this subject before making a post but I found little discussion aside from that related to Futaba.

Thanks in advance for any info,
-SS

Steve,
Welcome back...

NUMBER ONE.. its system reliability over water regardless of feature rich options. Futaba is a STILL there for us after all these years!

To take FULL advantage of this please follow Futaba's recommendation to use original Futaba components tough out.

ONLY the 7PX line as well as the 10PX line will accept the use of a genuine Futaba GPS module.

The 01 OR 02 GPS sensors are MORE than capable of being used in our boats.

The gang on here will be able to provide you lots of info as well.

Go here and go to my Futaba playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Grimracer1

Thank you.

Grimracer

I found I didn't have time to look at data while running the boat. A data logger allows data to be carefully studied after the race or test. Electric speed controls often have built in data loggers. We ran Eagle Tree data loggers for years, but they are no longer in business. There are others.

Lohring Miller

With the Futaba system it CAN data log but the big value to me is you can set an alarm OR capture a MAX.. so in the end that data is about all I need with a Nitro boat.

Grim

With the Futaba system it CAN data log but the big value to me is you can set an alarm OR capture a MAX.. so in the end that data is about all I need with a Nitro boat.

Grim
Plus, with the 7PXR, you can set the radio to “shout out” mph, etc… It’s not all that easy to hear you have to make an effort to put your ear down by it. And yes it does log data. I have mine set to toggle logging on and off with a button just depending on the situation at hand. You need a mini SDHD card installed to do this. Futaba has a downloadable app that will allow you to put on your computer. It isn’t the easiest scenario but once set up it works well.

The Hitec Lynx 4S with the Proton 4 RX provides GPS speed and some other features. The TX and RX package was discontinued however there are some of the RXs available on Hitecs Weekender site currently. You may also find the TX marketed in some other packages. eBay may have some used equipment.

do you really look down at your radio while going 70mph? Many people use the skyRC GNSS that bluetooth integrates with your phone. That said Spektrum has the GPS telemetry.

if you run electric you can get a very nice data logger from hyperion called the emeter II.

do you really look down at your radio while going 70mph? Many people use the skyRC GNSS that bluetooth integrates with your phone. That said Spektrum has the GPS telemetry.

if you run electric you can get a very nice data logger from hyperion called the emeter II.
Personally no I try not to look at it at all while I’m running. It puts a peak mph up there that I use to get a general idea of whether any changes I made to the boat made a difference in speed. I look at that after the run. I agree there are other ways to do it and they work fine, but I elected to try what Futaba had to offer. I honestly can’t proclaim that it works any better or worse than anything else. I thought the system integration may achieve an advantage over other systems but overall, maybe/maybe not. It’s definitely pricey as far as the gps sensors go. But I do use it and I like it.

I don't look at my transmitter when I am running.., it can yak at me or I can check peaks. I have not data logged in years.. but then again i don't use 3rd channel needles either.. (I not smartly enough to multi task ;-)

Grim

Correct that's not a good idea to be looking at the TX, but it's nice to see after your model is no longer running. When activated, while your pit man is moving to the launch area your TX will show that walking speed, even in the retrieve boat if your boat dies. Also the Hitec TX can be set to vibrate or give voice speed or RPM messages through an earphone port. An SD card would be required for this option. these features are described in the owners manual.

Steve,
Welcome back...

NUMBER ONE.. its system reliability over water regardless of feature rich options. Futaba is a STILL there for us after all these years!

To take FULL advantage of this please follow Futaba's recommendation to use original Futaba components tough out.

ONLY the 7PX line as well as the 10PX line will accept the use of a genuine Futaba GPS module.

The 01 OR 02 GPS sensors are MORE than capable of being used in our boats.

The gang on here will be able to provide you lots of info as well.

Go here and go to my Futaba playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Grimracer1

Thank you.

Grimracer
Yep, great system, but FUTABA USA has been out of them for many months.

I found I didn't have time to look at data while running the boat. A data logger allows data to be carefully studied after the race or test. Electric speed controls often have built in data loggers. We ran Eagle Tree data loggers for years, but they are no longer in business. There are others.

Lohring Miller
Hi Lohring,

Can you provide any links in terms of a replacement for the Eagle Tree stuff? I'm not running any electric boats so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of logging via an ESC. I'd be mainly interested in GPS (track and speed) info.

Thanks!
-SS

The 7 looks to be discontinued.
That's a bit of a bummer. The price of the new 10 channel seems obscene to me....the 7 would have most likely been my path into Futaba. I know there will be used stuff around but I've never been a fan of buying used radio gear, servos, etc.

Last year at Nats, I bought a 7. They said then, when stock is gone, the 7 is done. The 10 was out at that time and they just released a special limited edition 10. I like the price I paid for the 7. 550 with the special event discount. I really like it. The nice feature that push me over the edge, was it could talk to all my 614 receivers. That option is not available in the 10. So I can switch to the new radio with out having to buy a bunch of receivers.
Mike

That's a bit of a bummer. The price of the new 10 channel seems obscene to me....the 7 would have most likely been my path into Futaba. I know there will be used stuff around but I've never been a fan of buying used radio gear, servos, etc.
Here is a few links to the 7PXR radios that are still in stock.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/futaba...tem-w-r334sbs-receiver-fut01004395-3/p1161390

https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-Syste...mzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5

https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...ngGWBGNT4-f6imwgagUsCdAG92dKMkuNfJHdD35sEv8E4

Here is a decent price on a 10PXR
https://www.rcmart.com/futaba-10px-...404sbs-receiver-x2-10px-w-r404sbs-us-00114639

My question is that it says it can use T-FHSS SR/T-FHSS/S-FHSS/FASST-C2 protocols. Does that mean it will be compatible with any receiver Futaba makes? I have some older FHSS telemetry receivers that I use with the 4PLS, would I need to replace them to move up to the 7PXR?

Back