1988 millerHigh Life U-31 paint code for gold

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport hydro

I am refurbishing my 1988 Miller High Life U-31 1/8 scale and need help with finding the color code for the gold paint. I originally used DuPont acrylic Enamel( see photo 1) but found out they no longer

sell automotive paint. PPG cannot find a cross match. I bought a pint from the local supplier and this is what it came out as. (see photo 2). Can anyone cross the DuPont to HOC or PPG?

20160729_111755.jpg

20160730_085753.jpg

I am refurbishing my 1988 Miller High Life U-31 1/8 scale and need help with finding the color code for the gold paint. I originally used DuPont acrylic Enamel( see photo 1) but found out they no longer

sell automotive paint. PPG cannot find a cross match. I bought a pint from the local supplier and this is what it came out as. (see photo 2). Can anyone cross the DuPont to HOC or PPG?
Not sure I'm seeing what the problem is? Are you refering to the lack of luster? It may be a base coat that requires the clear to add the brilliance and shine.

Or is the color match not close?

If you look at my avatar photo there is a significant difference in the shade of gold. The original is more yellow gold than the new color.

If you look at my avatar photo there is a significant difference in the shade of gold. The original is more yellow gold than the new color.
Awh,, OK. I don't know how to make the avitar bigger to get a better view. But now I understand you concern.

Finish Master doesn't have a color chip book you can look at to get close to your desired color?

I am down in Texas south of Houston and cannot find a Color Master dealer. The only suppliers here are all PPG and none have been able to cross it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am down in Texas south of Houston and cannot find a Color Master dealer. The only suppliers here are all PPG and none have been able to cross it.
so the Centari label is the correct color, Yes?

I have a Finish Master close here in Jacksonville, I'd be willing to do some checking with them, I'm sure they have something in another line (Nason of Smart-there shop line) that will cross

I would appreciate it if you could. Like I said, where I am at, no one seems to be able to cross it. Here is a photo of the boat.

P1010011.JPG

I find it interesting that a paint shop can't match something. I took my Elam into a paint shop where they scanned the paint and came up with the formula to match both the white(actually matched it to PPG Coca Cola White) and IDed the orange to a specific brand(House of Kolor) with a 95% degree of confidence. If they couldn't match the manufacturer and color number, they could mix it in house to match what you need

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed,

Here at my local Finish Master shop the Dupont Centari 43484 crosses straight over the there Nason base coat.

a pint of the Med Gold Nason would be $29.78

a quart would be $49.02

Reducer is $10.70

You will need to clear over the color, I have had great luck with Nason's 497-00 clear and just recently did a 60% fuel test on Finish Master's "Smart, Classic Clear" I think the Classic quart kit was less than $60.00

Let me know if you would like help from me getting this stuff to you

Thanks for the help Rick. I did find a Finish Master location here in the Houston area. I will contact them tomorrow and see if they can set me up with the right med gold.

If they can't, I'll get back with you and take you up on getting a quart and the reducer.

It's been a long time since I painted my 88 open cockpit boat. When I did that one I used Sikkens and I'm sure those codes are long out of date. I had designs on restoring it at some point. I suppose I should start looking into getting colors together

Mike,

That is what I'm doing now. I didn't think it would be difficult getting the paint. Fortunately the green is still available from PPG Delton.

Ed,

Had the 88 open cockpit version back in 1988, I have these codes, pretty sure they are Imron, but most good automotive paint stores can match codes. ( I think)

U-00 1988 Miller High LifeGold - 43484
Red - 29198
White - 7414
Green – 10552

Or, take a can of miller beer the the store and match as close as you can,

Or, go on the Miller web site, that is a corporate color, should be easy to find, the green is just a dark metallic green.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. Finish Master was able to match the Centari gold. It is a urethane but should work OK.

Back