1988 Miller High Life Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport hydro

1988_Miller_High_Life.jpgI am putting together the pictures and a list of needed items to build the 1988 U-00 Miller High Life. I found several pictures of the boat on the web, including one from Roger Newton's site, and want to know the following:

1. Does the paint scheme planes on Roger's site list the correct colors and contain the decal locations?

2. Will the Dumas Kit for the Miller American work with the correct mods to the cowling?

3. Who would be the best bet to get the complete decal set from for this boat?

4. In the pictures, the rudder is on the right side of the transom. Do I need to put the rudder on the same side on the scale boat?

View attachment 6342I am putting together the pictures and a list of needed items to build the 1988 U-00 Miller High Life. I found several pictures of the boat on the web, including one from Roger Newton's site, and want to know the following:
1. Does the paint scheme planes on Roger's site list the correct colors and contain the decal locations?

2. Will the Dumas Kit for the Miller American work with the correct mods to the cowling?

3. Who would be the best bet to get the complete decal set from for this boat?

4. In the pictures, the rudder is on the right side of the transom. Do I need to put the rudder on the same side on the scale boat?
Dont know your name but.....

Send me an e-mail at [email protected]

I have that boat made from Dumas plans, had a lot of sucess with it back in the late 80's.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed,

As far as the decals are concerned....Roger's paint scheme has the right locations but the "High Life" lettering is not correct. He has the lettering that was on the canopied boat on the open cockpit boat. The letting is straight rather than faceted like it is in the Miller logo. Also the decals actually had two different configurations that year. One has the "High Life" below the MILLER on the sponsons and the other has it larger and out in front of the MILLER. Also the size of the Stewart and Stevenson on the cowl sides was really large at some races and a lot smaller at others. Plus there was a "HoneyBaked Ham" decal that appeared with one configuration but not the other. I rebuilt that same boat 2 years ago from an original Jeff Hunter RC Sportscraft hull and now my son runs it. I did the decals as they appeared in Tri-Cities with the Mercruiser and white APBA on the verts.

http://www.namba9.net/88%20Miller%20.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed,
As far as the decals are concerned....Roger's paint scheme has the right locations but the "High Life" lettering is not correct. He has the lettering that was on the canopied boat on the open cockpit boat. The letting is straight rather than faceted like it is in the Miller logo. Also the decals actually had two different configurations that year. One has the "High Life" below the MILLER on the sponsons and the other has it larger and out in front of the MILLER. Also the size of the Stewart and Stevenson on the cowl sides was really large at some races and a lot smaller at others. Plus there was a "HoneyBaked Ham" decal that appeared with one configuration but not the other. I rebuilt that same boat 2 years ago from an original Jeff Hunter RC Sportscraft hull and now my son runs it. I did the decals as they appeared in Tri-Cities with the Mercruiser and white APBA on the verts.

http://www.namba9.net/88%20Miller%20.htm
Ed:

If you haven't bought a kit yet, I've got an R/C Sportscraft unfinished fiberglass hull, Wing Set, Cowl, pictures, documentation (history), and aluminum pipe for the turbine tube. Also have the Newton paint scheme, and a water decal set that could be taken to a sign shop to do in vinyl or you could contact Mike McKnight for the graphics. This would be a project as it is a bare hull. The wing set needs to be glued together etc... Bought this a few years ago and have never gotten around to finishing it. If you're interested, I would be willing to sell for 375.00 plus shipping.

Good Luck!

Rich Jones

Cincinnati, Ohio

Rich, Unfortunatly I have the Dumas Miller American kit sitting in the basement, thats why I was asking if it could be converted to the High Life.

Mike, Thanks for the pictures. The first one is the one I found yesterday and then I found a picture of the real boat. How difficult is it to mod the cowling to look like the one in your picture? I would really need a dimentioned drawing of the air inlets. Did you make the decals yourself or get them from someone else? I ask because I would like to make mine to look like yours if its alright with you.

MIKE just curious whats the hull riding side by side with the Miller in the 3rd pic over? Must be a rare pic......

Yeah it is the PSP I did some decals for a guy for that boat in a slightly different configuration. It is actually the 8255 hull with a canopy and wings and it had a number of different banners. Guy in my district has that same hull as the '89 HeartBreakers Gentlemen's Club with Steve David behind wheel.

Latest posts

Back