Zipp 30" tunnel update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys....i was out playing with the g30's today...it was a in and out day....i have family stuff to do...anyway...i had Brian Buass do me two props....on the Lawless lower I had a ABC 1715-17-45
I dont know what all the #'s mean except that that prop worked...and worked very well...
Brian's props are a work of art...and he is very easy to work with...turn around time is quick....thanks Brian...
I hope this can be of help to someone else...

Hey guys - quick question on the zip-kits ESC - what size plugs are coming on the ESC (to the motor)? Thanks - trying to compile all parts needed.

Mike Hughes has offered to make a fiberglass version off one I would build specifically for pulling a mold. I would make one that could be used on a nitro version as well. I'm not sure the one I have now would clear a nitro radio box.
JD

So Jerry was able to get me a cowl plug a couple of weeks ago. I had been so busy with getting boats built and tested for nats, that I had no time to work on the mold. Just was able to do some minor touch ups and wax it up over those weeks. Today I was able to build the mold. If all goes well (no repairs needed), first part will get laid up tomorrow. I should be able to do one a day this next week. I will sell them as they are complete. No pre orders. I dont like lists. I will posting in a different thread when they are ready to sell. Would be nice to know how many are interested. I will try to do my best to get them out as soon as I can. Like I said before, nats is coming up and that stuff takes priority. Only 2 boats left to check off the list.
Thanks
Mike

20210815_114151.jpg

Being a full time FE guy all my boats are taped up nice and tight. I see that the ESC and battery will be under water if this boat flips...in my hands I am sure it will. It looks like the ESC is sealed and coated but what are you guys doing to keep the water and corrosion off the Lipo cells if anything?

Jerry
I disagree, any moisture inside the shrink wrap can lead to corrosion of the battery tabs. It is always best practice to keep things dry. Do people run batteries out in the open-yes. Is it best practice-no.

I have seen the tabs corrode in the past but I try to keep mine as dry as possible. Maybe a good spraying of Corrosion X will help?

To keep the discussion going on this game changer hull, let me ask a few questions :)

Happy to tell you how I came to mine...but this is not about me haha

How did you come to settle on the following:
- Deadrise angle, including any transitions (changes in angles or not) you used from rear to front
- deciding 'non trips' were not needed/wanted
- Tunnel width and length
- Tunnel depth
- Tunnel AoA

Cheers
Kris

Jerry
I disagree, any moisture inside the shrink wrap can lead to corrosion of the battery tabs. It is always best practice to keep things dry. Do people run batteries out in the open-yes. Is it best practice-no.

All of my packs that have been submerged have ultimately died (dropped a cell) a lot quicker than those who did not get submerged.

Try to keep those cells dry! A lot depends on the minerals in the water where you run, but they will corrode and if not properly dried electrolysis will degrade your terminals to the point where they fall off.

To keep the discussion going on this game changer hull, let me ask a few questions :)

Happy to tell you how I came to mine...but this is not about me haha

How did you come to settle on the following:
- Deadrise angle, including any transitions (changes in angles or not) you used from rear to front
- deciding 'non trips' were not needed/wanted
- Tunnel width and length
- Tunnel depth
- Tunnel AoA

Cheers
Kris

Well here is Kris and what he thinks are his his "gotcha" questions......I told you weeks ago to call me and I would give you chapter and verse to the development of the G-30 tunnel........You so far have chose to ignore that invitation.......
I don't keyboard well enough to put everything in chronological order and out of context explaining the development of the G=30.....
If you want to know specifics about the boat...BUY ONE . build one run it and learn something........It is very obvious a $89.00 boat that runs good and is very newbie user friendly has got some so-called tunnel boat designers and suppliers little pink panties in a knot......
As I said before the G-30 is a result of building and running tunnels for 47 years........
If you think some of your "GOTCHA" questions were not tried and tested 30 years ago you also believe in the Easter Bunny......
I will leave you with this....
What counts is what touches the water......by in large everything else is eye candy.......
Tunnels have morphed over the years because of powerplant developments.......A tunnel center section design is basically an aero control surface......this is why you concern yourself with CG to balance that control surface.....you try to make that aero control surface totally benign when the boat is running........
I will be happy to discuss these with you but I will not engage in your "gotchca" questions debate.......
Get your boats price down to $89.00 and have them run as well as the G-30 and then we will talk.....that is if you call......
That will contribute to the health of RC boating......

wow.. I did not see that as a "gotcha".. its just nice to learn as we go.. PART OF THIS HOBBY and dare I say a LARGE part is learning and sharing.

take somebody with your background and we all want to learn.

But.. apparently you do or did not see it this way... thats OK... people reading in can make up there own minds.

Be well...

Grim

wow.. I did not see that as a "gotcha".. its just nice to learn as we go.. PART OF THIS HOBBY and dare I say a LARGE part is learning and sharing.

take somebody with your background and we all want to learn.

But.. apparently you do or did not see it this way... thats OK... people reading in can make up there own minds.

Be well...

Grim

Mike,
This response was the product of an underground discussion of how I stole this boats design.......
I was just pointing out that I am not a Albert Einstein on tunnel boats that the G-30 was a result of building probably 100 boats , testing them and learning what makes them work.........I have never failed to answer questions or given away any info I have learned about RC tunnels and about RC boating....

Back