Zipp 30" tunnel update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To keep the discussion going on this game changer hull, let me ask a few questions :)

Happy to tell you how I came to mine...but this is not about me haha

How did you come to settle on the following:
- Deadrise angle, including any transitions (changes in angles or not) you used from rear to front
- deciding 'non trips' were not needed/wanted
- Tunnel width and length
- Tunnel depth
- Tunnel AoA

Cheers
Kris
Although Chris was addressing this post to Rod, I would like to respond.
First a disclaimer: I might be wrong, but I doubt anyone who has read this thread has designed more tunnel boats, had more tunnel boats offered for sale, or published more tunnel hull construction articles.
Second an observation: Designing a tunnel boat is not complicated. I took a mechanical drawing in junior high and a boat lofting class in high school. In college I majored in elementary education.
Responding to Chris's questions: I have been asked similar questions about my tunnel designs. I didn't design the first tunnel boat I raced. It was designed by Dave Knowlen, an aeronautical engineer working for Boeing. Dave had success designing winning limited hydroplanes and also unlimited hydroplanes(the Circus Circus and Squire Shop). It was a framework design. It was called the Excalibur.
After racing Dave's design for a year, I basically copied the design and framework construction method to reduce the size. The result was Excalibur II. A fiberglass version of this boat was offered by Vic Drew from Medford, OR.
I cannot say that any of the questions asked by Chris were intentional on my part other than based on designing/testing/racing many tunnel boats ranging from 15" FE to 42" 1/4" Scale. Did I look to see what was working well on other tunnel designs? Absolutely. Two examples are the forward recovery pads(stumble blocks) developed by Rod and sponson angle on the Lynx developed by Carl.
Game changer hull: Is the G-30 the ultimate in model tunnel boat design? No, it is a very basic design. Is it a competitive model tunnel boat? It has done well at club/district races. Is it capable to winning national championships? That is yet to be answered.
JD

Well here is Kris and what he thinks are his his "gotcha" questions......I told you weeks ago to call me and I would give you chapter and verse to the development of the G-30 tunnel........You so far have chose to ignore that invitation.......
I don't keyboard well enough to put everything in chronological order and out of context explaining the development of the G=30.....
If you want to know specifics about the boat...BUY ONE . build one run it and learn something........It is very obvious a $89.00 boat that runs good and is very newbie user friendly has got some so-called tunnel boat designers and suppliers little pink panties in a knot......
As I said before the G-30 is a result of building and running tunnels for 47 years........
If you think some of your "GOTCHA" questions were not tried and tested 30 years ago you also believe in the Easter Bunny......
I will leave you with this....
What counts is what touches the water......by in large everything else is eye candy.......
Tunnels have morphed over the years because of powerplant developments.......A tunnel center section design is basically an aero control surface......this is why you concern yourself with CG to balance that control surface.....you try to make that aero control surface totally benign when the boat is running........
I will be happy to discuss these with you but I will not engage in your "gotchca" questions debate.......
Get your boats price down to $89.00 and have them run as well as the G-30 and then we will talk.....that is if you call......
That will contribute to the health of RC boating......

DAMM Rod, you went nasty very quick there.

I was actually after some tech info...well not me, but maybe someone who wants to build a boat of their own could learn from things how you did on this "G30".

As for your comment about being cheap...
The old saying goes with products Cheap, Good and Fast, pick 2....I certainly never want to fall into the Cheap category...WAY too much time, effort and love goes into my designs and builds, plus I do not ant everyone to have one...you need to want one, not just want something...BIG difference

Anyway, this was not about me and my boats...this thread is about the G30

Anyway, carry on with your G30 design :)

Cheers
Kris

wow.. I did not see that as a "gotcha".. its just nice to learn as we go.. PART OF THIS HOBBY and dare I say a LARGE part is learning and sharing.

take somebody with your background and we all want to learn.

But.. apparently you do or did not see it this way... thats OK... people reading in can make up there own minds.

Be well...

Grim

He must be friends with Mark Sholund and his posse...they tend to label all my comments as negative and accuse me of stealing and stuff also haha

Although Chris was addressing this post to Rod, I would like to respond.
First a disclaimer: I might be wrong, but I doubt anyone who has read this thread has designed more tunnel boats, had more tunnel boats offered for sale, or published more tunnel hull construction articles.
Second an observation: Designing a tunnel boat is not complicated. I took a mechanical drawing in junior high and a boat lofting class in high school. In college I majored in elementary education.
Responding to Chris's questions: I have been asked similar questions about my tunnel designs. I didn't design the first tunnel boat I raced. It was designed by Dave Knowlen, an aeronautical engineer working for Boeing. Dave had success designing winning limited hydroplanes and also unlimited hydroplanes(the Circus Circus and Squire Shop). It was a framework design. It was called the Excalibur.
After racing Dave's design for a year, I basically copied the design and framework construction method to reduce the size. The result was Excalibur II. A fiberglass version of this boat was offered by Vic Drew from Medford, OR.
I cannot say that any of the questions asked by Chris were intentional on my part other than based on designing/testing/racing many tunnel boats ranging from 15" FE to 42" 1/4" Scale. Did I look to see what was working well on other tunnel designs? Absolutely. Two examples are the forward recovery pads(stumble blocks) developed by Rod and sponson angle on the Lynx developed by Carl.
Game changer hull: Is the G-30 the ultimate in model tunnel boat design? No, it is a very basic design. Is it a competitive model tunnel boat? It has done well at club/district races. Is it capable to winning national championships? That is yet to be answered.
JD

Your civil response is what i was after Jerry, thanks! Pity some just go after me instead.

I called it a game changer in relation to its price to performance factor...hard to beat that!

Everyone takes inspiration from a design, the LEAST we can do is give that person credit where it is due. these days there is not much innovative stuff coming out...but you are correct in saying that Carls Lynx is still the pinnacle of 20 Tunnel boat Design...and it is now probably nearing 20 years of age (easily 15?)!!

DAMM Rod, you went nasty very quick there.

I was actually after some tech info...well not me, but maybe someone who wants to build a boat of their own could learn from things how you did on this "G30".

As for your comment about being cheap...
The old saying goes with products Cheap, Good and Fast, pick 2....I certainly never want to fall into the Cheap category...WAY too much time, effort and love goes into my designs and builds, plus I do not ant everyone to have one...you need to want one, not just want something...BIG difference

Anyway, this was not about me and my boats...this thread is about the G30

Anyway, carry on with your G30 design :)

Cheers
Kris

once again I will share anything I have with you over the phone.....take care......

Zippkits 30 tunnel sets new NAMBA two lap oval and Straightaway records at NAMBA trials in Huntsville, Alabama this weekend. A Zippkits 30 P Limited Tunnel raised the NAMBA Straightaway record from a two way average speed of 65.820 mph in 3.418 seconds. To a new two way average speed of 71.678 mph in 3.139 seconds.
The two lap oval record was lowered from a previous time of 28.946 seconds at speed of 41.457 mph. To a new lap time 27.446 seconds at a speed of 43.722 mph. A time in the 26 second range would have been easily attainable with a more accomplished driver.
Hopefully, this will open some of the doubters eyes and have them "Eat Crow"! Especially, the ones that said that it couldn't be done.
This boat is rock solid, CHEAP, fairly easy to build, and is great for anyone.
I guess that there is a possibility that Kris Flynn's comment above "Carl's Lynx is still the pinnacle of 20 Tunnel boat Design" could come into question.
We will let the public decide that!

That's pretty amazing for a $89.00 boat that was still a prototype less than a year ago..

Congratulations to all that brought this dream to reality... It is something that our hobby has needed for a while.

Robert, both of the boats were in heat racing trim. Both boats had been run at either Charleston or Atlanta races this year with the exact same setup. Both times I had excellent performance. Nothing was changed setup wise in order to acquire the two record runs. This just proves how docile this boat can be!

Zippkits 30 tunnel sets new NAMBA two lap oval and Straightaway records at NAMBA trials in Huntsville, Alabama this weekend. A Zippkits 30 P Limited Tunnel raised the NAMBA Straightaway record from a two way average speed of 65.820 mph in 3.418 seconds. To a new two way average speed of 71.678 mph in 3.139 seconds.
The two lap oval record was lowered from a previous time of 28.946 seconds at speed of 41.457 mph. To a new lap time 27.446 seconds at a speed of 43.722 mph. A time in the 26 second range would have been easily attainable with a more accomplished driver.
Hopefully, this will open some of the doubters eyes and have them "Eat Crow"! Especially, the ones that said that it couldn't be done.
This boat is rock solid, CHEAP, fairly easy to build, and is great for anyone.
I guess that there is a possibility that Kris Flynn's comment above "Carl's Lynx is still the pinnacle of 20 Tunnel boat Design" could come into question.
We will let the public decide that!

Any record bump is a great thing, especially for tunnels! So congratulations!

Be sure to spill the beans on your setup some more when you can, if you are OK with sharing :)

I assume both of those records were for the P-LTD?

Your last comment will take 15 years of domination to break into that circle ;)

I also hope this boat will restart tunnels the way the JAE hydro brought the class back. An easy kit to build that performs is a win win. Coupled with inexpensive FE power and performance a plus for new boaters. That said I maybe a few more will show up down here in FL. for our fall races.
Mic

I just bought my G30, to be delivered today. Zippkits is a great company, and they always produce a quality product!
Hey Chris...
I hope you enjoy the build as much as I did...i built 3 sofar and its gotta be the best and easiest build for a boat ever....and the best part is running it....per the zippkits specs is awesome...a 440/3 prop does the job ...there are others but for a $20 prop...it runs very good...any questions just ask...if you read all the pages in this thread...most have probably been answered...and either k&b or lawless lower works just fine....nut lawless gives you more options....have fun...and pics are required

Hey Chris...
I hope you enjoy the build as much as I did...i built 3 sofar and its gotta be the best and easiest build for a boat ever....and the best part is running it....per the zippkits specs is awesome...a 440/3 prop does the job ...there are others but for a $20 prop...it runs very good...any questions just ask...if you read all the pages in this thread...most have probably been answered...and either k&b or lawless lower works just fine....nut lawless gives you more options....have fun...and pics are required

I am going to go with the lawless, Fred emailed me back yesterday with all the info. I really enjoy the kits from Joe. I built a Super Sport, and absolutely love running it. I picked up a Bullitt in some trades that I need to finish also. I will make sure to post photos!

I do hope you got the foam cutter...it make the build so much better...anyway..enjoy and I will be looking for your build pics...

Latest posts

Back