Zen G20 ???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everybody .

This is a reply from Australia . Darren , at my home club - Model Boat Blub of N.S.W.Inc. there are several members who run a Shovel Nose Scale Boat made by 1 of our members and setup with a 23 Zenoah motor . Out on the water they look very realistic and can even slide through the turns . Every boat I have seen run has the exhaust under the deck and 1 member has widened the cowl to get the spark plug under it . There is a fair possibility that some pictures of them are included from this years Winter Spectacular . The boats to look for are - 1968 Black / Yellow Bardhal , Hooters , Notre Dame . Hopefully this helps with your enquiries . I don't have access to Jims Dock .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Darin,

yup, have seen the thread and been following it.

nice little engine for sure.

Ian,

the difference with the G20EI, its 15oz (almost a full pound) less and almost half the size of a 23/26cc.

for those who don't have access to the Dock, here's a few pics that compares the G20EI and a 260.

Dan.

Attachments

• G20.jpg
    G20.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1
  • G20(1).jpg
    G20(1).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1
  • G20(2).jpg
    G20(2).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody .

Darin , I have a question about how members can get registered on Jims Dock and also whether these motors are made by Zenoah . Dan , thanks for sharing these pictures with the members . I guesstimate that they are only 20 CC capacity .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Ian,

Yes it is made by Zenoah, and it's 20.1cc's.

It's twice the weight and half the rpm of a comparable nitro motor. In performance terms, thats a hell of a price to pay for convenience and cheap fuel.

When I saw the post about a 20cc Zen on Jims my first thought was oh crap just what we don't need is 7 or 8 more classes to chose from. Not good for racing in general. Thinking about the size and weight of this powerhead it makes more sense to me than moving up to 30-38cc motors which will require much larger boats. My 26cc stuff are 12 to 15 lbs now and 40 to 45 inches long. Can't imajine launching a 6 ft hull for a heat race if things get larger. Backing down to 20cc's makes a lot of already availiable or in the rafters 60 to 90 hulls work again. I am sure a 20cc gas boat will run from high 40's in a mono or cat and 60 plus in a rigger. I tested 4 boats yesterday, 2 nitro and 2 gas. Gas used about $4 worth of fuel and nitro $20. Half gallon each. Add the 4 glow plugs toasted and you have another $20 on the nitro end. If you want all out performance set up a twin 101 rigger and you'll see what performance costs. Racing 40 to 60 mph boats in competative classes works for me. Looking forward to trying a 20cc gas motor. I have grandkids starting to drive so a 38 inch mono or cat makes sense to me.

Mic

Id think a 20 on a Tunnel would make more sense than a 26 This motor could find its way way in current 1/8 scale boats without much work at all........

When I saw the post about a 20cc Zen on Jims my first thought was oh crap just what we don't need is 7 or 8 more classes to chose from.
This motor would fit right into the existing gas classes. I see no need for another set of classes. Just another way to get the job done. The Electronic Ignition would be the only "drawback", as I believe that makes it illegal for G1.... But otherwise, it's just another choice in the "up to 26cc" class...

In a 26cc class I don't see anyone running 23's so going down to a 20cc and playing the weight to hp game won't work IMO. Cubes win out with no other limitations. Look at .21 and .45 outboards. .21's are just as fast in lap times but in heat racing a .45 has the advantage of taking on rougher conditions. The weight allows handling at higher speeds. In gas a 10lb 20cc may go fast but a 14lb 26cc makes some holes in the water a lighter boat will have trouble with. I am not saying the smaller lighter boat can't win rather over the long run it will get beat up time and time again.

Mic

Id think a 20 on a Tunnel would make more sense than a 26 This motor could find its way way in current 1/8 scale boats without much work at all........
Maybe we can weld the crank & put Nitro into it? Just need to do something about those piston rings? Gartlis ran Nitro with piston rings.

Electronic ignitions are definitely legal on G engines as long as they were made by the engine's manufacturer. In fact, the Zenoah electronic ignition is legal on any Zenoah engine.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
I just love the "more cu.in. means better motor" mentality.... :p

Reports I've heard are that this motor makes 5+hp out of the box... It has larger intake ports, and some other dimensional and internal design characteristics that would make it appealing for certain applications, by people who know how to make it work.

If I'm not mistaken, the G230 PUM has some advantages over the G260 as well...

Hello everYbody .

It's the Tall Fella from Australia . Just a quick note to inform you that yesterday I was able to get registered on Jim's RC Dock , so that I can follow this post easier . It has also been mentioned on the AMPBA Forum ( Australia ) about the Zen G20 moror .

Regards

Ian Baas

Rall Fella Racing

Australia

The .60-.90 engines expensive and the cost of nitro to run them isn't cheap as you go through a lot of it just on race day.

On the other side of the coin I have to agree, do we have time for yet another class at most district races?

Maybe we can weld the crank & put Nitro into it? Just need to do something about those piston rings? Gartlis ran Nitro with piston rings.
I have bin playing around with a RCMK rear ex to run on nitro with a reed on the intake. Just need to get the fuel delivery system figured out. the rings are not that much of a problem running two. Just hope the bottom end will live. Don't need to spin it fast or run a bunch of nitro to spin a big prop.

The eng will bolt right in my SGX same bolt pattern as the RS91-101 just a tad wider on the bolt spacing.

David

Hello everybody .

This is a reply from Australia . After speaking with another member over here yesterday , I heard that the Zenoah G20 Motor has been available for some years as a Model Plane motor .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Back