Your First Boat. (Post a Photo Here)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first boat was a Prather 3.5cc Deep V. It was 1985/86 and I was 11 or 12 years old. The boat was originally an outboard but after one season of racing I bought a new brand of engine called a NovaRossi and converted the boat to an inboard. I beat out Mic and Jay Halbrehder and a bunch of other great racers to win overall high points champion with the NovaRossi. Although to be fair, Jay was like nine years old and Mic just needed to finish his last heat to win it but his boat mysteriously flipped over about 100 yards from the finish line. (I still think he dumped it on purpose) After that season I sold the boat to Van who raced it for like 15 more years. I then got into riggers and never came close to winning high points champion again. :D img002.jpgimg003.jpg

My first boat was a Prather 3.5cc Deep V. It was 1985/86 and I was 11 or 12 years old. The boat was originally an outboard but after one season of racing I bought a new brand of engine called a NovaRossi and converted the boat to an inboard. I beat out Mic and Jay Halbrehder and a bunch of other great racers to win overall high points champion with the NovaRossi. Although to be fair, Jay was like nine years old and Mic just needed to finish his last heat to win it but his boat mysteriously flipped over about 100 yards from the finish line. (I still think he dumped it on purpose) After that season I sold the boat to Van who raced it for like 15 more years. I then got into riggers and never came close to winning high points champion again. :D View attachment 43345View attachment 43347
This was my second boat. First with a Super Tiger then with a K/B. It was the other deck type though. Not this one. I won my very first trophy with that boat.

When I joined TCMBC in 2006 no one in the club at that time was racing anything larger than .21 boats so my first race boat was this TS-2 with a Mac .21 on it. It proved to be incapable of handling the engines power and was soon replaced by this Leecraft XTR-21 that I raced for several seasons with the Mac and then with an OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first "model boat" was a Cox .049 powered Dumas Swamp Buggy (before I had my first radio). I would take it to a local casting pond, launch it on one side, then run like mad around to the other side to retrieve it before it hit the bank. Wish I had pictures.......

My first boat was a Dumas Hotshot with a K&B 3.5 outboard with the sliding exhaust throttle. I modified the K&B "autotrim" and made it a servo operated powertrim. A little history on my getting into the hobby first. I believe it was 1978, and I was at a full-size tunnel race in Rockford Illinois. At that time I was running SE tunnel,SJ tunnel and Mod 50 tunnel. At the driver's meeting we kept hearing this high pitched buzzing noise coming from a pond in the park. After the driver's meeting,we all went over to the pond and watched a young man running a radio controlled outboard tunnel. I went home after the race and the next went to the local hobbyshop and bought a kit,radio and motor. I was hooked! The rest is history.001.JPG002.JPG

My first that actually ran was a Sprintcat 21 which I still have and still enjoy running. It's been several motors and several paint jobs, but I still get a kick from it. Back when D19 was APBA I entered a race as a teenager and a much younger Mark Grim loaned me a prop which the motor could actually pull and managed to finish the heats in 21 hydro. I think I placed third for the day and was hooked ever since.

Honestly, the first boat I tried to build was my own 7.5 outboard hydro. It was literally a solid balsa 2x4 hogged out with some ugly rear sponsons to keep the rear end above water. I don't think it ever got off the beach.

DSCN3734.JPG

DSCN3738.JPG

sprint 21 running.jpg

My first that actually ran was a Sprintcat 21 which I still have and still enjoy running. It's been several motors and several paint jobs, but I still get a kick from it. Back when D19 was APBA I entered a race as a teenager and a much younger Mark Grim loaned me a prop which the motor could actually pull and managed to finish the heats in 21 hydro. I think I placed third for the day and was hooked ever since.

Honestly, the first boat I tried to build was my own 7.5 outboard hydro. It was literally a solid balsa 2x4 hogged out with some ugly rear sponsons to keep the rear end above water. I don't think it ever got off the beach.
Cool. I remember seeing one of these run in my district back in the 80s and I thought it was so cool. It wasnt extremely fast but ran so well it was a pleasure to watch.

View attachment 43327View attachment 43328View attachment 43329My first boat was a Dumas Hot Shot/K&B 3.5 O.B./exhaust throttle....cant find a pic of it...but ive still got the 2nd boat i built....Its a 20 sized PaynPak. the motor is a K&B 3.5 car engine with a cool clamp....the radio is a Futaba 2 stick on 26.995....it STILL works!I think the prop on the boat is a Jimmy Gale F-20....like HJ,s boat, the first engine i used was an airplane engine..an O.S. 20 just kinda pushed the boat around, but when i stuck the K&B car motor in it....it was FUN! I also still have the first boat i got a trophy with..its an 82 or 83 Coyote...57 dollars shipped from Don Pinckert! I remember i could call him ANYTIME i had a question about the boat....a super nice guy! The boat has a poor mans race motor in it..K&B 3.5 shnuerle ported airplane engine with a water cooled head, O.B. carb, and a home made header made of steel and copper pipe fittings, silver soldered! No pipe pressure...ran just fine! The old Wheel radio also works..if you right handed guys had a hard time working this radio, you shoulda tried it LEFT HANDED! What a HANDFUL! I miss those days..they really were alot of fun! I still remember Larry Beals and Al Ingman throwing my ass in the pond after i got my first trophy with my trusty ol Coyote!
My first radios were just like that one Bill, Futaba Box radio. Those Coyotes were the foundation for the Roadrunner!!!.... ;)

this is me and my first rigger, it was a 60 gator with an ops motor..i think i was 16 years old

View attachment 43327View attachment 43328View attachment 43329My first boat was a Dumas Hot Shot/K&B 3.5 O.B./exhaust throttle....cant find a pic of it...but ive still got the 2nd boat i built....Its a 20 sized PaynPak. the motor is a K&B 3.5 car engine with a cool clamp....the radio is a Futaba 2 stick on 26.995....it STILL works!I think the prop on the boat is a Jimmy Gale F-20....like HJ,s boat, the first engine i used was an airplane engine..an O.S. 20 just kinda pushed the boat around, but when i stuck the K&B car motor in it....it was FUN! I also still have the first boat i got a trophy with..its an 82 or 83 Coyote...57 dollars shipped from Don Pinckert! I remember i could call him ANYTIME i had a question about the boat....a super nice guy! The boat has a poor mans race motor in it..K&B 3.5 shnuerle ported airplane engine with a water cooled head, O.B. carb, and a home made header made of steel and copper pipe fittings, silver soldered! No pipe pressure...ran just fine! The old Wheel radio also works..if you right handed guys had a hard time working this radio, you shoulda tried it LEFT HANDED! What a HANDFUL! I miss those days..they really were alot of fun! I still remember Larry Beals and Al Ingman throwing my ass in the pond after i got my first trophy with my trusty ol Coyote!
My first radios were just like that one Bill, Futaba Box radio. Those Coyotes were the foundation for the Roadrunner!!!.... ;)
Ron, i always thought it would be kinda cool if Futaba came out with a limited retro transmitter, with modern technology inside the box! I completly agree with you on the Coyote/Roadrunner deal....Dave if you read this, YEAH on the museum thing! :) I just cant get over the fact that they still work! :rolleyes: :)

This is my first mono back in '79, and the second pic is the first boat I built (a 21 crap shooter). I won a lot of races with that boat :D .

Olly

first boat.JPG

first built.JPG

While digging through photos to find my old boats, I came across this one from the 80s. Do you recognize anyone and/or know where it was taken?

Olly

boat group photo.jpg

Ron, i always thought it would be kinda cool if Futaba came out with a limited retro transmitter, with modern technology inside the box! I completly agree with you on the Coyote/Roadrunner deal....Dave if you read this, YEAH on the museum thing! :) I just cant get over the fact that they still work! :rolleyes: :)
NO RETRO , YOU ARE JUST OLD !!!!!! DEAL WITH IT !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

With all that Bud garb going on , where was Herbie ??

Back