:-X Removing a broken flexshaft...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_laxmasta2039

i took the upper half off and pulled out the top peice of the shaft, but i cant figure out how to take out the bottom piece. i've tried unscrewing the screws on the side of the lower half and pulling it apart, but it stays together? the engine is an old style KB, flexshaft is the standard KB one. here's a pic, any suggestions would be appreciated. [btw, the brown stuff is oil not rust :) ]

Joe

That prop shaft is threaded into the lower unit. Be careful! IT IS A LEFT HAND thread!!!! Normally, it's righty tighty, lefty looseee, but in this case it's the opposite!

Righty loosey, lefty tighty, for the left hand threads!

So unscrew it by making a normally tightening motion. I think it's an 11/32 nut. They are hard to get at. If you could shave down a wrench, that would be the best thing.

Good luck,

Jeff Torgalski

Want a cheap tool to use for getting it off? You might have one laying around. The tool that comes with Cox .049 motorshas the end for removing the cylinder fits on the prop shaft and in the center of it is an opening that fits on the prop nut! If you don't have one, most Hobby Shops carry it. That left-handed thread gets everyone the first time.

thanks guys,

hopefully now i can get that one out and get one of Precision Boat's shafts in. looking forward to having an engine that makes the prop turn when it turns by race day! ;D ;)

Joe

I really like this you two are always ready to help out. Good job Jeff an Ron an to all the exp. boaters who help out the new guys that's what it is all about. We all were new at one time. Hey Grim how old was you when JD was new at it. That would make me the same age. :D

Tim

PB Racing

Ron:That left-handed thread gets everyone the first time.

Let's take apart my used K&B. Oh, the propshaft is pretty locked in there. Hmmm, if I give it a little more...Oh there it goes: Hey wait, those are metal shavings! ****!

Tim: Right you are my man. 4 months ago I knew almost nothing about tunnels, and all these guys that hang out here have the best info you can find in the world. The internet never ceases to amaze me.

But we can't always share EVERYTHING. I mean, we all have one or two little "speed secrets" that we don't tell anybody about, or at least until the end of the season, when we found out it didn't work anyway. ;D You know what I mean? ;)

Here's to warm weather and soft water....

Jeff Torgalski

I still have on the shelf my first lower end I ever worked on. Turned it so hard to the right and I broke the skeg right out of the casing.

I keep it as a reminder to think things through before jumping ahead to quickly.

It is a novel concept though! :-[

hey joe

the best tool I have used on those drive dogs is a o.s wrench that comes with there motors.

you might try some hobby shops to see if they sell them .

they are real thin and fit the small slot in the drive dog.

great tool to have in your pit box.

mark

thanks everyone,

i took a wrench to the thing and turned to tighten- wadya know!! the shaft came right out no problem, and as soon as the shafts i ordered from Precision Boats [should be a great bargain, Hyperformance ones at >7.00$ each and only a buck-fifty for shipping] come in i'll be ready to go.

Joe

I think that K&B Lower got everyone the first time. All the guys that have put there advice out for all us newbies, I thank you all, we all learn, and learn the smart way, and one or two times the hard way.

The biggest thing, The boats dont have BRAKES like the nitro trucks do :eek:

thanks to all the guys that help us all out

Tom

Latest posts

Back