WTC Q-Tunnel Class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You kinda answered your own question there. Upping your corner entrance speed by 5+ mph is not always a good thing in traffic or rough water. I know everyone is hung up on big voltage and "C" ratings for batteries but when your throttle response is like an on-off switch having a little less may be ok. Tommy Cardoso kept asking Jay why he couldn't contoll his acceleration better at the "fall Nats" and Jay just laughed. He was easiung into it as best he could. Pull the trigger on 6S and you'll understand and grin ear to ear. Like they said in Jaws, "we need a bigger boat". It is going to be fun cause tunnels air out quickly, unlike a wetted mono (as Nub would say-"fishin boat") or a hydro (tether boat) a tunnel is a real handfull under acceleration off a corner. Going from 18.5 to 22.2 volts is a big jump. We put a 5S in Jays "P" boat and you could not keep it on the water. 14.8 to 18.5 is a bigger percentage jump.

Mic
I figured, I remember talking to you briefly about it before. i have no doubt this thing is gonna be a handful. I am playing with some throttle curves on my radio in hopes of taming the sudden burst of power, but it will take some getting used to.

Ok. You may be able to pull it off. Good luck with the numbers.
Probably not, but imma **** sure try...lol. Worst case is I have a much larger, mostly empty radio box than I need, and I have to prop way down for the race and run on 1p. Then, the next race I will know more about what im dealing with and can build a radio box to suit the set-up better (2p). Its just a little plywood and time. Both of which I currently have in abundance right now.

Thanks for the pic Ron, Its hard to believe that it balances out at 29% like that? I just setup my boat with the 2nd battery all the way in the nose of the cowling, (literally), and the first battery as far back as my radio box will allow, and I only have to add three ounces of weight to the transom area to get it to balance at 31%. Interesting....

Im gonna rock it like it is, and hope for the best. I dont have time to do any major changes before the race. I wish my ESC was similar to yours because I have enough room to do that. I wont be running another one of the Turnigy 180's. Its just built weird for putting in a tunnel radio box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pic Ron, Its hard to believe that it balances out at 29% like that? I just setup my boat with the 2nd battery all the way in the nose of the cowling, (literally), and the first battery as far back as my radio box will allow, and I only have to add three ounces of weight to the transom area to get it to balance at 31%. Interesting....

Im gonna rock it like it is, and hope for the best. I dont have time to do any major changes before the race. I wish my ESC was similar to yours because I have enough room to do that. I wont be running another one of the Turnigy 180's. Its just built weird for putting in a tunnel radio box.
Hey,

No problem. Glad to help. The old style HTB is a longer and heaver boat, especially in the nose area than the Vision so that doesn't surprise me. I like this controller and I see what you are saying. I'm sure you will be fine.... ;)

im running a 40 vision hull

swordfish esc

leopard 4082 motor

5s 5000 mah battery

hyperformance lower unit

futaba 1/4 scale for steering

Just got finished dialing in my throttle curve on the 3PKS. It sure sounds a lot more tame as apposed to the normal linear set-up of the throttle. Hopefully it helps me keep it upright. Its a BEAST at wide open throttle though!

Anybody else messed with throttle curves? It seems I have seen more flip overs from a dead stop due to nerves/itchy trigger finger or whatever during FE races that any other DNF type of issue, hoping this will help.

IMG_20120414_113129-1.jpg

James,

From what I see on your throttle curve your biggest range is start to 3/4 throttle. We have done the opposite as we want a bigger range on the big end where you need throttle sensitivity and a wider range for turns. You just need to get used to taking off gently. If anything I would rather stay linerear and if you have it slow your servo/throttle speed way down so it doesn't react as fast. I think Bobby's going to be the quiet sleeper here. As for the T-180 I put 90 degree water fittings on it and still was a tight fit in the radio box. The Swordfish 200 or Caslte 240 are much easier and you can slide batteries underneath them. Going to be an interesting class and I bet we all make some changes after were done. Kind of an unplowed field for everyone.

Mic

James,

From what I see on your throttle curve your biggest range is start to 3/4 throttle. We have done the opposite as we want a bigger range on the big end where you need throttle sensitivity and a wider range for turns. You just need to get used to taking off gently. If anything I would rather stay linerear and if you have it slow your servo/throttle speed way down so it doesn't react as fast. I think Bobby's going to be the quiet sleeper here. As for the T-180 I put 90 degree water fittings on it and still was a tight fit in the radio box. The Swordfish 200 or Caslte 240 are much easier and you can slide batteries underneath them. Going to be an interesting class and I bet we all make some changes after were done. Kind of an unplowed field for everyone.

Mic
I agree Mic. We are all basically starting on a level playing field but with multiple setups and ideas, but are close enough friends that we can all work together to fine tune the class and share what does and doesn't work. Gonna be a blast for sure!!!!..... ;)

Hmm.... good points Mic. So you are saying you essentially have the opposite curve of what I have shown? I was only thinking about taking off... didnt really think about punch from 3/4 to full throttle (i.e. exiting a turn). I will have to play around with it, thats for sure.

After the race, im gonna make a new heat sink on my CNC to allow better cooling and make the cooling channels run parallel with the wiring, I looked at using 90 degree fittings, but you wouldnt gain much by doing it. I have definitely redesigned the whole thing in my head, now that I have built it...lol.

~ James

Not the best pic, and i didn't do a 'radio box' as such.

I have the T180 at the rear of the boat, with 90deg water fittings

1/4 scale servo

Lawless Lower

Castle 1520 1600kv (for now)

6s Turnigy 5000

Grim 42X55 (for now)

Battery sits right up the front of the 'well' near my Receiver...

Kris, you are only running 1p? How does it work out for a race?

Not the best pic, and i didn't do a 'radio box' as such. I have the T180 at the rear of the boat, with 90deg water fittings 1/4 scale servo Lawless Lower Castle 1520 1600kv (for now) 6s Turnigy 5000 Grim 42X55 (for now) Battery sits right up the front of the 'well' near my Receiver...
Kris,

Thank's for sharing your setup. What a great idea with the cowl. I had a quick question on top of James's question. If you are running two packs or just one, have you noticed any CG issues with having that much weight forward on your Vision? I know two packs would probably be too much but maybe one pack balances out? If so what percentage? I have seen most people run that hull at around 28%. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back