WTC Q-Tunnel Class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topfuel443

Vendor
There are five of us signed up so far for this class, post up what you will be running!

Im running a Vision 40 hull

Turnigy 180 ESC

Leopard 4082 1450kv motor

Turnigy Nano 6s 5000MAH battery

Hyperformance lower unit

Hitec Digital 1/4 scale for steering duties

No idea on prop yet...

IMG_20120410_141659.jpg

IMG_20120410_141746.jpg

~ James

Last edited by a moderator:
Old style HTB 60 Tunnel, (the one that was a LeeCraft copy... ;) )

Castle Hydra 240

Neu 1500 series

Nanotech 6S 5000mah x 2

K&B Lower Unit

Hitec 7990 Servo

Dick Loeb super duper highly secret ultrafast unmatched unparalleled never seen before radio box

No idea on prop yet. (coming soon!!)

Think we are gonna need to 6s2p? Was hoping to make it with 1p, but I am currently making radio box provisions to run 2p if I need to.

Think we are gonna need to 6s2p? Was hoping to make it with 1p, but I am currently making radio box provisions to run 2p if I need to.
I think we will Gabe. I would make room just in case. I'm new at this FE deal, but I think I am going to need around 8000 mah total for 2 slow laps and 6 hot laps. Dick will post later I'm sure but I believe he is gonna try to get by with 2-3300 6s packs for 6600 mah total.

Do you have to run the same mah if you run in parallel? i.e., can i run a 6s 5000 with a 6s2000mah or 3000mah pack with it? Or does it have to be the same mah rating?

Do you have to run the same mah if you run in parallel? i.e., can i run a 6s 5000 with a 6s2000mah or 3000mah pack with it? Or does it have to be the same mah rating?
Battery theory tells me you can mix and match at low discharge rates, as the pack with the higher mah rating, will keep the other pack at the same voltage level, but with the high current LIPO ratings of our setups, I would advise against it. In a high current discharge, one pack could drop below the 3.2 volt per cell minimum and you could end up with a flaming Vision. I would match the mah and discharge "C" rating on both packs to assure equal discharge rates from both packs.

topfuel443 said:
When you go to parallel you ABSOLUTELY need the same MA rating and C rating or one battery will drain before the other and ruin a cell. I am trying two Hyperion 6s 3300 ma 25c cells in parallel. Makes a 6600ma 50c combo. For "P" class I found a 1P 6000ma pack http://www.bananahobby.com/gp4060004s.html

Mic

Alright... well my 'provisions' aint gonna work for either way I was envisioning with 2p. So, I am going to have the longest radio box in history, and hope the boat balances out ok. Back to the wood shop... If im gonna do all the work, might as well be able to run 10,000mah.

Alright... well my 'provisions' aint gonna work for either way I was envisioning with 2p. So, I am going to have the longest radio box in history, and hope the boat balances out ok. Back to the wood shop... If im gonna do all the work, might as well be able to run 10,000mah.
Gabe,

If your box is tall enough you could stack the packs but I believe the lower CG will be better.

Cant get it tall enough because of the cowling. Its close, but too close. I'm lacking about 1/2" (That's what she said...). I think I can make it work, time will tell. Lower CG wont make any difference in the world if it becomes a submarine on launch...

Cant get it tall enough because of the cowling. Its close, but too close. I'm lacking about 1/2" (That's what she said...). I think I can make it work, time will tell. Lower CG wont make any difference in the world if it becomes a submarine on launch...
End to end is how Dick designed my radio box. There is just enough room left over for the receiver and steering servo. He had to cut the platform out of the top deck to allow the box to start very close to the transom. The ESC will rest on top of the first battery. You may need to do the same. I wish I had better news..... :(

I have a plan, and will execute tonight. Lets just say I wont be needing any lead in the front of this thing.

~ Gabe

My Q is a 32" HTV with a 1520 Castle 1600kv and probably an m445 or 42X66GR. Have to see if 5800 to 6600ma will last with an M447. Lower will be a K&B if Jay doesn't break another one then back to a Lawless which is my 2nd choice. I also have a 1515 Neu 1500kv that is slower but may turn faster lap times. Rons 1527's are going to be scarryfast. (all the way to the seen of the accident)

Mic

Mic, 6s I assume?

Now all we need it Bobby and Dick to chime in...
Funny you ask cause I am planning running on 6S but have a 5S ready for certain conditions Six is definately faster in a straight line but you will see why I keep a 5 cell handy after you test. My 8S "S" class is more "bling" than functional but it does haul down a straightaway

Mic

I have a plan, and will execute tonight. Lets just say I wont be needing any lead in the front of this thing.

~ Gabe
Be careful Gabe. You are better off with the first pack near the transom than with the second pack too far up front. With the first pack near the transom, then the second pack, then the receiver and steering servo, my boat's CG ends up at about 29%. That's about right for this boat and that should be very close for the Vision as well.

Well, unless I start completely over, thats not gonna happen. This Turnigy 180 is a PAIN to get inside of a tunnel box, since the wires and cooling ports are perpendicular to one another, so going further towards the transom cant happen at this point. I always run at 31%, so I will work with that number tonight and see what I can make it do with my initial plan...

Come on Mic, clue me in here... why is 5 cell better for certain situations? Less punch/blowover potential or?

~ Gabe

Well, unless I start completely over, thats not gonna happen. This Turnigy 180 is a PAIN to get inside of a tunnel box, since the wires and cooling ports are perpendicular to one another, so going further towards the transom cant happen at this point. I always run at 31%, so I will work with that number tonight and see what I can make it do with my initial plan...

Come on Mic, clue me in here... why is 5 cell better for certain situations? Less punch/blowover potential or?

~ Gabe
You kinda answered your own question there. Upping your corner entrance speed by 5+ mph is not always a good thing in traffic or rough water. I know everyone is hung up on big voltage and "C" ratings for batteries but when your throttle response is like an on-off switch having a little less may be ok. Tommy Cardoso kept asking Jay why he couldn't contoll his acceleration better at the "fall Nats" and Jay just laughed. He was easiung into it as best he could. Pull the trigger on 6S and you'll understand and grin ear to ear. Like they said in Jaws, "we need a bigger boat". It is going to be fun cause tunnels air out quickly, unlike a wetted mono (as Nub would say-"fishin boat") or a hydro (tether boat) a tunnel is a real handfull under acceleration off a corner. Going from 18.5 to 22.2 volts is a big jump. We put a 5S in Jays "P" boat and you could not keep it on the water. 14.8 to 18.5 is a bigger percentage jump.

Mic

~ Gabe
Ok. You may be able to pull it off. Good luck with the numbers.

Latest posts

Back