WTB Degree wheel for porting, also any porting tips for first time porter?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstew0903

This may be a dumb question but where is the best place to buy a 360 degree wheel for porting my engine. I just ordered a set of carbide bits for my dremel and I want to do a little porting on my K&B 3.5. If anyone has any advise on porting this engine please let me know. I am running 40% redmax fuel. I have a red carb and a car tuned pipe on it. I also checked my head clearance and it was .15. I ordered some shims from Grim so I can set it at .08. Does anyone have any numbers for porting this engine. Also should I open the crank intake timing to where it is open longer? I apreciate the help. I figured it would be best to ask you all first before I screw this one up and have to buy a new sleeve. I alow added some pics of my sleeve as it is now. I bought this engine used so i don't know if it has been ported already.

Thanks Jason

Jason, I use a 360 degree protractor with a hole in the middle. you can get it fom office max or any other supply store. I have a pointer mounted on my engine stand, I think Rc boat modeler did a piece on how to make a cheap degree wheel. As for porting specs, im not a big fan of k&b so I have never dabbled with the timing/flow on there engines.

~ James

GO TO YOUR LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE. I THINK MR GASKET SELLS THEM FOR DEGREEING IN A CAM.. THEY ARE NICE METAL ONES..

CHRIS

The port timings on a K&B 3.5 aren't bad stock. I would run it as it came for a while and play with props and setup. If you run an Irwin pipe, try sleeving the stinger to .250 inch with brass tubing. What hull do you have?

Lohring Miller

forget the degree wheel and buy marty's program. i'ts better, faster,more accurate,etc. you'll never use a degree wheel again after using this program.

Where do you get the program and how does it work if you don't use a degree wheel? I'm curious..

Also I am running a Hydro Sports Marine whistler 3.5 tunnel hull.

Jason

go to www.rcboat.com and look for marty davis email address he sells it he is the web site administrator..

it beats the old wheel

chris

The program is a very nice tool, but costs around $90. For about $10 you can have a degree wheel made from a 360 degree protractor, a pointer, and a glow plug tap to use as a piston stop. Don't get me wrong I have the program and use it alot, but for doing one motor it is overkill.

Good numbers for a K&B 3.5 are exhaust 180 degrees, transfers 127, and close the rotor at 65 degrees after top dead center.

Mark

For comparison, my stock K&B 3.5 reads:

Exhaust 172

Transfer 128

Intake opens 40 ABDC

Intake closes 65 ATDC

Lohring Miller

Im with Loring on this one, leave the liner untouched and go to props and other places to get what you want. I have both a wheel and the program and leaving the liner stock is the best bet. BTW I like the program but use both.

I have run 50mph with the liner and the rotor stock. And that is through stock water cooled EX holes in a K+B motor. The darn thing will heat race at 47/48 all day at the stock numbers too.

The number one reason I leave the timing untouched is that i can slip in a new PL and have close to the same performance with out having to match the old timed PL.

PS. I sould have never showed Rod G my stock motor after winning stock tunnel at the 2000 Internats.. O well Now he is making tons of power out of a water motor also. Shur would like to see what he is doing.. MAAARRRRK........

Grim ;D

Back