Wireless Starter for the Outboard and Inboard Guys

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Sorgente

Supporting Member
Hi Guys,

I just finished updating my starter with the makita battery holder from a finer edge mfg. I took some pictures along the way so I could share the changes I made to make it work for inboards and outboards.

I already had the starter handle but added another two switches. One to reverse the polarity to the starter motor (30 amp DPDT) and also a standard side switch from sulivan. The side switch is for their "hi torque" model which is shorter than the one the dynatron comes with to make room for the starter handle.

No more lugging the giant 12 volt deep cycle to the pond for me! B)

Brian

DSC00974.JPG

DSC00948.JPG

DSC00950.JPG

DSC00951.JPG

DSC00952.JPG

DSC00953.JPG

DSC00964.JPG

DSC00968.JPG

DSC00969.JPG

DSC00972.JPG

Thats about the best thing I have done to my boating stuff in many years. Its an AWSOME setup...love mine!

Hi, Brian! You did a perfect job! I hope that everybody can make it in his shop. Boris

Thanks! It works awesome!

It took a fair amount of grinding/ mods to the plastic housing pieces to make the switch fit like that, the wiring in the back is a little tight with it in there as well but it turned out awesome. It probably would have been easier to mount the switch to the handle and run wires to it but it wouldn't be as clean. If I were to do it again I'd do the same thing just probably use some wire with thinner insulation due to the tight space between the starter and battery holder.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian, this is the coolest thing - I've seen in a while.. Is it considered a 24 volt system -since your using a 18v battery?? I've been looking at my Black & Decker 18v cordless drill at home and thinking about chopping-off the bottom of it and trying to fit the battery holder part to my Sullivan 12v starter. Yes, I know it's 18volts, but do you think it would hurt the Starter - going the extra 6 volts? I know the Amp-rating for your starter & my starter are the same.. Any thoughts??

Ted.

Thanks Ted,

Well the starter I have is a 24v starter, I'm just running it on 18 volts which believe me is plenty.

I'd give it a shot, my friend Andrew did almost exactly what your describing with his Sullivan 12v starter. He used a broken Milwaukee flashlight, cut most of the the handle off, filled it with epoxy and inserted some threaded studs that he then bolted to the upright part of his speed master handle. It works great and spins FAST. He's definitely hesitant about freewheeling the starter with no load though. Hes worried that it might throw a winding from spinning so fast :lol: but so far no issues and hes been using it a lot this summer. Shoot him a PM I'm sure he would send you a pic of it. His name is namba969 on here.

Let me know how it goes!

Brian

Thanks Ted,

Well the starter I have is a 24v starter, I'm just running it on 18 volts which believe me is plenty.

I'd give it a shot, my friend Andrew did almost exactly what your describing with his Sullivan 12v starter. He used a broken Milwaukee flashlight, cut most of the the handle off, filled it with epoxy and inserted some threaded studs that he then bolted to the upright part of his speed master handle. It works great and spins FAST. He's definitely hesitant about freewheeling the starter with no load though. Hes worried that it might throw a winding from spinning so fast :lol: but so far no issues and hes been using it a lot this summer. Shoot him a PM I'm sure he would send you a pic of it. His name is namba969 on here.

Let me know how it goes!

Brian
Thanks Brian, I just might give it a shot. Sounds like I have a little project on my hands this weekend. I have 2 cordless drills and I'm more than willing to sacrifice one of them.. :D

I was gonna get all the stuff and send it too my buddy to build it for me, but I do belive this thread has inspired me to build it myself.

Nice job Ted.

Back