Wire drive coupler

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.S.Davis

Does anyone know of a standard coupler for 4mm to .062 wire for a wire drive? I'd love to have an Octura like that. I've only seen a 5mm though.

Does Ned make a set screw type in that size?

Hey Terry, Not sure but I think Ned makes them to order. Any way you can bush the 5mm down to 4 with brass tubing.

LOU

You can bush it as stated and then you cut a slit in the bushing so the set screw hits the motor shaft.

I wonder how good the Octuras are on wire drive since with a flex cable there was something to "Bite" into compared to wire drive.

Has anyone tried the Octuras? how well do they work?

For now I will use set screw types for wire until I hear that the Flex hexes are fine on wire drive.

I use the octura flex hex on wire. I have had them slip but not often and then it's because it wasn't tightened properly.

LOU

I prefer the Octura hex flex coupler for wires. I've lost way to many shafts with the set screw type. I've also had them ever so slightly oversized on the .062 end. Just enough so that when you tighten the setscrew in you get vibration.

For my big wire drives on the 2280 I use the Octura 5mmx.125 coupler and shim my .098 wire up to it with Loctite 603. Works awesome.

I never thought of trying to shim the 4mm shaft. Have to check that out.

I have tired the octuras on a couple of setups and they have always slipped when used with more then 6 cells.. I just use set screw couplers that I Jeff made for me. Never had a problem with them.. Just put a very slight flat spot on the wire and you done

I wonder how good the Octuras are on wire drive since with a flex cable there was something to "Bite" into compared to wire drive.
Collets work best on a hard, non-compressible surface, not on a soft wad of twisted strands.
Rest assured that they work very well indeed on wire drives. I hold the SAW record for the fastest non-rigger in NAMBA FE, spinning a v937/3 on 12 cells with 1/16" wire and an Octura Flexhex - never a problem at over 75 mph and near 40,000 rpm. They provide a lower-stressed, stronger connection than do set screws IMO. Anyone who has problems is clearly not using the Flexhex properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

Just to add to what Jay said, have you ever seen a drill use a set screw chuck? What would be really cool is if someone came up with a collet assembly like the Dremel tools have, interchanging collet sizes with a standard size holder. ;)

Paul.

That would be great Paul! Octura even uses that idea in some of their larger cable flexhex sizes, I'll talk to Tom.....

Speaking of Tom, I once discussed the idea of offering 4mm hexes, but the market is too small, most (certainly not all) BL marine motors use the 5mm shafts. Octura is a small business and can't afford to offer items with very limited appeal.

My T cat runs 32 cells direct to a wire drive. I'm using a flex hex. Never budged. More than I can say for the one I used on .187 cable. That thing slipped like crazy. I've grown to really dislike flex cables. Don't know how that happened. Silly really.

If ya want.

I can have a 4mm x .062 ( Octura coupler) the next time we see each other.

Just let me know.

Are you talking about modifying an Octura 1/8th to 1/16th into a 4mm to 1/16th?

Aren't they hardened to a point where that isn't possible?

KW

Kevin Whitehead said:
Are you talking about modifying an Octura 1/8th to 1/16th into a 4mm to 1/16th?
Aren't they hardened to a point where that isn't possible?

KW

86694[/snapback]

Yes,I'm going to modify an Octura.

How hard are they? Won't know until tommorow. As far as possible? It can be done , how you do it just depends on how hard they are. Odds are it can be done with carbide or a TiN coated reamer. In the worst case an I.D grinder.

Charlie

Hey Charlie, Did you get it done. I had bad luck trying to ream a 3/16th to 5mm. I tried a carbide reamer but there wasn't enough meat in the body and it busted. I have modified the 5mm up to whatever the GRX's use and it worked mint.

LOU

Tuna said:
Any chance you'll be at the meeting sunday?

86710[/snapback]

Not a chance.

I had to move, back at the beginning of the year. :(

I now reside in the Pocono Mts. of Pennsylvania. I just hope that I can work the MiCup race into the schedule this year. That is going to be something that I will not know for certain until May (give or take a month).

KW

Latest posts

Back