windshield for Thriftway

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andris Golts

I have made a template from poster board for a windshield for my 1/16 scale 1963 Thriftway.What clear material material should i be using ? How thick should it be? Do i have to heat it to conform to the desired shape? What method do i use to fasten it to the cowling? Does any one know where i can buy a 1/16 scale driver to mount in the cockpit it seems everywhere i find one they are geared for 1/8 scale right know im modifying a 1 1/2'' Williams brothers scale pilot to simulate a hydro driver any info would be great.

Andris...I've used very thin plexiglass (the kind that is used in cheap picture frames) with good results. Gentle application of a heat gun and it bends nicely...holds it's shape when cool. A small bead of Shoo-goo should hold it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acetate paper works good if you get the thick stuff. The last windshield I made for my Ms. Bardahl, I used the thick plastic that is used to seal in items you might buy from a store. My wife bought a curling ion and it has that really thick plastic that is shrunk together. Works great. I shaped it by using her hair dryer to warm it. Some guys will put it in boiling water but usually that clouds the plastic.

You can also use two liter soda bottle plastic if you get desperete.

There's a guy named Ken Reiley I can call and ask if he makes them. He makes a ton of figures for 1/8 scales, tug boats, etc... he's a good modeler. What sort of driver do you want??? SHoulders and head, just a head, arms etc.....

There is also this white windsheild glue that the airplane guys use. Most hobby shops carry it. It goes on bright white but dries to a clear color so it's almost invisible.

The glue Rodney is refering to is called RC-56, most local hobby shops that sell airplanes will have it on the shelf. Works great for all types of clear acrylics and plastics.

Bill Diedrich

The glue Rodney is refering to is called RC-56, most local hobby shops that sell airplanes will have it on the shelf. Works great for all types of clear acrylics and plastics. They will also have the very thin acetate for your windsheild.

Bill Diedrich

You can also use two liter soda bottle plastic if you get desperete.
Don't apply heat to the soda bottle plastic...it shrinks to about 50% or less of the original size!

I have a windshield pattern I made for a shovelnose. It wraps around the cowl and has a tab in the middle to slot into the cowl. I attach the ends with tiny screws. Acetate or a clear plastic about .02 thick works fine.

View attachment 1821

How about using Lexan in .030 or .060? My lhs sells it by the sheet for cheep! You can manipulate it no proband it is crystal clear.

DJ, that's a sharp looking windshield, where did you find the smoke colored paper?
Thanks! I sent a graphic file I created to Peter Richards of Climate Models and he laser cut a few for me. The plastic film is really more light blue than the picture shows - he used some blue-tinted plastic he had on hand.

Latest posts

Back