WINDOWS 10............ not liking it so far

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
So I got sucked into the "free upgrade" to Windows 10 from my rock solid Windows 7 platform that had been virtually flawless. After the upgrade things have not been so "peachy". My HP 6310 printer/scanner/copier will only print, the scan/copy functions have vanished. I've been using Firefox for my browser for quite a while and it's always been great .... until now, keeps hanging with Windows giving "Firefox not responding" messages. Also quite a number of shortcuts and program apps didn't survive the transition and things seem slower so overall I'm not impressed. We experienced the same issues on my wife's PC, her HP 5780 3 in 1 also will only print now and like my PC many things "disappeared". I've talked to a few who tried to go back to Windows 7 and they say don't even try as it'll be worse. So is anyone else seeing less than ideal situations with Windows 10?

I was told by a computer geek to wait about 6 months to see how it goes. You are not the first that I have heard having problems. I will keep waiting.

Don

I had windows 10 and it sucks.Went back to my old windows.

Need to post a picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
10 absolutely sucks, cant post pictures here and effects everything in a negative way, stay with the old the new is a joke.

Beau

Don

I had windows 10 and it sucks.Went back to my old windows.

Need to post a picture.
How did you go back? Everyone I've talked to says it's a royal PIA and really screws things up. Now I know why W10 was "free" we're all a bunch of beta testers ...............
default_mad.gif

Don,

It's called a fresh install. Wipe the HD and start over. I'm getting ready to buy a Win7 install disk because my latest computer (2013) didn't come with one, and it's starting to feel the effects of two and a half years of my fiddling with it. Time to re-boot. It's gonna be a PIA, with all the software I use, but I think I'm gonna have to.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

I would hope that MicroSoft will soon have everything a bit more cleaned-up with WIN10 package. They usually update service pack. Together provide a cleaner integration.

As far as HP printer issues, they (HP) have their own software compatibility complications. I own two HP printers, which I love, but I've had to really put much physical effort into keeping them operating properly. I experience on-going, randomn, network dropping-out. Also scan-function failing or not present.

I'm still using WIN7 Pro, works good. But would like to upgrade at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the question came up on Win 10 in another thread here on IW and after a year + of beta testing I was pleased with it ...UNTIL now.

Even with custom installs and turning off certain features, they just keep getting turned back on. Their updates took out my graphics driver at one point and the latest took out my wireless card and network. When I went to reset the network the feature was disabled.... refusing to be defeated I rolled it back and it worked again.

Keep in mind I'm using an ASUS gaming laptop with NVidia graphics.

The latest slap in the face to us insiders is the activation feature now that 10 has been released to the general public. We were told that the beta testers would be provided with a product key but now they want 199.99 for Win 10 pro key. My only hope is to clean install Win 7 pro and wait for the upgrade offer for 10.

I might pass on it because my greatest fear has come to light...problems with the OS. true to Microsoft form they took a product that worked and now refined it to a product that gives problems.

The very latest...I can't open Office docs or PowerPoint docs sent to me anymore... this has occurred since the latest update. I haven't had the time to dig into it to find out why. They open perfectly in Win 7. Could be the fact the product isn't activated.

If I clean install Win 7 pro will probably stay with it and forget 10 for now.

I agree with Jim.... Apple isn't the answer I know Apple people with far less than perfect results. Ever OS has it's quirks and yes by far HP printers with any OS are a pain getting all the features to work.

As far as a rolling it back to 7 nuke the hard drive and clean install 7 would be the simplest method. Save Docs, pics and any other wanted items on a thumb drive and load them back in after the reload. IMHO

Well the question came up on Win 10 in another thread here on IW and after a year + of beta testing I was pleased with it ...UNTIL now.

Even with custom installs and turning off certain features, they just keep getting turned back on. Their updates took out my graphics driver at one point and the latest took out my wireless card and network. When I went to reset the network the feature was disabled.... refusing to be defeated I rolled it back and it worked again.

The latest slap in the face to us insiders is the activation feature now that 10 has been released to the general public. We were told that the beta testers would be provided with a product key but now they want 199.99 for Win 10 pro key. My only hope is to clean install Win 7 pro and wait for the upgrade offer for 10.

I might pass on it because my greatest fear has come to light...problems with the OS. true to Microsoft form they took a product that worked and now refined it to a product that gives problems.

The very latest...I can't open Office docs or PowerPoint docs sent to me anymore... this has occurred since the latest update. I haven't had the time to dig into it to find out why. They open perfectly in Win 7. Could be the fact the product isn't activated.

I agree with Jim.... Apple isn't the answer I know Apple people with far less than perfect results. Ever OS has it's quirks and yes by far HP printers with any OS are a pain getting all the features to work.

As far as a rolling it back to 7 nuke the hard drive and clean install 7 would be the simplest method. Save Docs, pics and any other wanted items on a thumb drive and load them back in after the reload. IMHO
yeah, I'm sort of in the same situation. I own a Dell/Alienware Aurora R6 gaming desktop (32GB RAM, etc.,...), with NVidia graphics. I'm not really even using any games (although I own the popular Formula 1 game). I'm primarily running AutoCAD and a few other development applications. I'm a little scared to push the button on Windows 10, thinking it will undo my set-up.

And, yes, every OS has their quirks. But I've been happy with Windows 7 Pro. One nagging issue I deal with somewhat frequently- when I enable "shutdown" at the end of the day the machine will go through it's motions, but then boot's right back up, forcing me to re-enable "shutdown" a second time, eventually completely turning-OFF (sometimes takes up to 3 attempts).

yeah, I'm sort of in the same situation. I own a Dell/Alienware Aurora R6 gaming desktop (32GB RAM, etc.,...), with NVidia graphics. I'm not really even using any games (although I own the popular Formula 1 game). I'm primarily running AutoCAD and a few other development applications. I'm a little scared to push the button on Windows 10, thinking it will undo my set-up.

And, yes, every OS has their quirks. But I've been happy with Windows 7 Pro. One nagging issue I deal with somewhat frequently- when I enable "shutdown" at the end of the day the machine will go through it's motions, but then boot's right back up, forcing me to re-enable "shutdown" a second time, eventually completely turning-OFF (sometimes takes up to 3 attempts).
that's not a Windows thing, that's hardware-level stuff.

I would go back to Windows 7 in a blink if I could, performed flawlessly. I used to build my own PCs but recently things got so cheap it was easier to just order a pre built box from Dell when I felt the need to upgrade. Windows 7 came pre-loaded with no disc so I'm basically screwed and will have to ride out this W10 fiasco until MS works out all the bugs. Geeez it's like a flashback to Windows '98.............
default_mad.gif

Don,

You can still get a new install disk. It's gonna nip at your wallet a bit, but it would be better than living with the trainwreck (or so it would seem) that is Win10.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

I would go back to Windows 7 in a blink if I could, performed flawlessly. I used to build my own PCs but recently things got so cheap it was easier to just order a pre built box from Dell when I felt the need to upgrade. Windows 7 came pre-loaded with no disc so I'm basically screwed and will have to ride out this W10 fiasco until MS works out all the bugs. Geeez it's like a flashback to Windows '98.............
default_mad.gif
Come on Don, you have to know a friend of a friend of a friend who works at Best Buy.
default_biggrin.png

Back