WILD THING MONO by John Finch - Construction Article -

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..and actually a thick balsa bulkhead will absorb engine vibration better than a thin piece of plywood, plus it offers a wider gluing surface. If the grain is run in the vertical direction you would have to run over it with a dump truck to crush it. ...But what do I know?....only been building boats for 39 years...almost as long as John Finch.

HJ, THe 1/2" balsa IS the flotation. Just sheet it with 1/64 or 1/32 ply before cutting the bulkheads to make it absolutely bulletproof. Endgrain would be best for use with skins, but as Andy stated, vertical grain planks would be plenty strong.

Maybe I'll make some bulkheads from 1/2" Klegecell foam sheeted with CF/Kevlar, Also make the hull sheeting from vac bagged Liteply with CF/Kevlar skins.

But I've only been working with CF for 27 years, and building boats for 37 years. Balsa cores have been used in boat construction for 60+ years. Only in the last 20 years has it been replaced with foam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these plans still available? I tought I had a set in my archive, but could only find the WOF tunnel plans. Does anyone have a scanned set so I can scale them.......got an idea........

Just thought i'd show my wild thing fe. I did the top like a seducer rather than flat but everything else about the hull was built acording to the plans. Very stable boat.

Clearly Ken only has one throttle position! All Balls!!!! Awesome Boat!!! :p

A slightly different approach to the inside setup of the Wildthing. Just a preference for a seperate radio box. Boat runs really strong with a CMB green head and a Sholund 1614/3 prop. KerryWildthing 002.JPGWildthing 004.JPG

I have a 23", a 27" and a 34" version. They're all scaled and modified from the 48" plans. Awesome boats. My 34" P mono borders on obscene. Mine are all ply. Being electric the vibration is of little concern. I had separate drawings for each size with my modifications in AutoCad format but after a catastrophic hard drive failure they're gone. Dang it! Snuck up on me.

With a little imagination there is no limit to how much fun you can have with this design. I may build more of these. Inexpensive, easy to build, and run pretty sweet. I'm thinking balsa might keep it lighter for a P spec offshore. hmmmmm

Thanks guys, the radio box is made by the old glass over foam method. Shaped the basic box out of blue foam, added the plywood top then a couple layers of glass and West System epoxy. The foam is dug out leaving the box. A 45 version of this boat would be pretty cool. Kerry

Just about finished the Wild Thing 45 Mono now, powered by a CMB 45 CAM engine, does anyone have a recommended pipe length for a 45 mono hull

thanks

Shane....running a Microburst with an HR45, AB pipe at 9 3/8", 50% and an X450/3 (de-tongued and Barr cut). Very good combination. Kerry

Back