wild thing 21 mono questions and setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodneyPierce

Alright guys, Im thinking about getting a Wild Thing 21 mono. I have a few questions for everyone with any sort of mono experience.

If I end up going with the boat, it will have a 35+ in it that I have setting here. Boat would be just for fun and tinkering around at the pond. Most likely either an S-pipe or a 3280.

Where should I mount the fuel tanks? Front or side?

Do I need turn fins, and if so, what size (length would help)

How much setback do I need on the rudder?

Where to start with props?

Thanks guys!!

Rod ran mine with Front tank & hopper tank on side/ rudder was a SM mono rudder assembly standard/ prop X440/3/no turn fins/motor back then a Green head CMB21 with Rod G mods/Pipe 3280. Jerry

I assume it had trim tabs on it?

Thanks for the rest of the info! I bought a used one that needs some TLC but looks to be in otherwise good shape!

Yes on the trim tabs. You knoe Rod when I get home I think I still have the build article. I will get all the info John wrote and relay to you. Get boat alot of fun and fast.

Hey guys! Although almost any hardware setup will work, i recently changed my original boat hardware. I wanted to set an electric oval record and wanted more water to the esc and motor so went up to a 40/60 size rudder and shortened it considerably. I extended the strut to 3 inches from the transom to the drive dog, put a 2 1/2 inch deep turnfin on the right side with small trim tabs extending about an inch and a quarter and the boat was ballistic. It carves corners like nothing I have ever driven. It had a 6s battery setup and blew the 1/3 rd and 1/4 oval records away with ease. I assume the same setup would work for the nitro engines too. The rudder is off to the right of the prop with the leading edge of the rudder at the prop trailing edge. basically a 40 boat size setup. Better than ever! 80 mph in the SAW!

John

Got the boat today, going to try and get it assembled next weekend and try and get it on the water before our testing ends here this year.

Back