Why isnt an F-1 a ModVp ??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Its got a center pod ???

Lots of interesting angle's to look at btw. -_-

25kl7a9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
doesn't meet mark poole's rules we race by :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: ......not a clue as to full scale rules, gotta be a specification deal, not enough there to be called a pod. that, & a mod vp, ours or foley's run on the pod at speed. kinda like a rigger with rear sponsons & a ski, but no front sponsons :eek:

the center section on the real F1 is more to do with the safety cell then aero or hydro.... but it does help with hole shot.... can get into much more depth but will require a beer and dinner....

Mod VP stands for " Modified Vee Production " basically born from adding tunnels progressively through the years till you ended up with boats like Stoker, Mirage , STV (Summerford Tunnel Vee ) even the Hydrostream HST , YT series of hulls . I'm sure that is the spirit of the class . :)

2qi1r2e.jpg

Tom & Mike have it. Mod-VP started about 1980 as a class as Mod VPro. The class was for v-6 vee bottom hulls and modified V-bottom allowing outer sponsons added. The premise was the main riding surface in the center below the outside sponsons. As an APBA class it was pretty wild in the 80's-90's with names like Stoker,Baker,Miller,Bowden,Shaw,Burgess.Summerford,Pipkorn, Paul & Derris Allison, and later Chris Bush and Rusty Campbell. The Junkers campaigned in later years. Eventually the manufacturers produced more lake & river racer boats and the pods gave way to more conventinal tunnels as did the race drivers who assymilated into SST120 and Champ boat classes. Oval racers became drag racers that could run without a capsul and outboard drag boat hulls like Tom runs are todays production boats.

Mic

Mine is an Oil Tanker compared to todays carbon STV's weighing in at a mere 360 lbs for an unrigged 19' hull !!!!!!!!!!!!!! My buddies with a Merc 300 Drag is stupid fast and quick !!

Full scale Mod-VP was the best class in the 80's and 90's. When I went to the IOGP races we loved F-1 for the raw speed and power but the highlight of the weekend was always Mod-VP. Was always brand warfare between boat brands and engines. And some of the best deck to deck racing anywhere. It is what inspired me to make an RC version. Glenn Reynolds was probably the last guy to race a V bottom in the class. Used to love watching him fly that Allison down the straights with only the prop in the water.

The center drop down in the F-1 boats is there partly because of the capsule but it also aids in hole shot and acts as a compression pad when they make those hard wide open left and right turns.

Great pic of the STV. If you look close the guy is wearing a big fat grin. ;)

not sure yet, considered it for the Christmas give a way.............

Hi,

you can ad a ski on every tunnelhull like i show on the little Koyosho boat .With its less power it will not fly .Adding a ski will give very good runing results .It must not done like i do it can also be a ski atatched with adjustable bolts so you can set the ski with different angle of attack and it can be open on the sind of the ski .You will have the possibile to plaze the ski moore forward or backward .On a MRC tunnel i ad it with 4° angle of attack to the sponson so the tunnel run very easy and the whole tunnel runs with less angle of attack to prevent blow over.Options with wide and lengh of ski are done fast.lots of things to play.Have fun.

Hi,

you can ad a ski on every tunnelhull like i show on the little Koyosho boat .With its less power it will not fly .Adding a ski will give very good runing results .It must not done like i do it can also be a ski atatched with adjustable bolts so you can set the ski with different angle of attack and it can be open on the sind of the ski .You will have the possibile to plaze the ski moore forward or backward .On a MRC tunnel i ad it with 4° angle of attack to the sponson so the tunnel run very easy and the whole tunnel runs with less angle of attack to prevent blow over.Options with wide and lengh of ski are done fast.lots of things to play.Have fun.

120_2050.JPG

120_2051.JPG

120_2052.JPG

Back