Why .15s in .12s

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Templeton

Gotta question!

Whay are a lot of people installing 15s or larger in 12 riggers. Aren't the new class rules for up to .12 only?

Don :huh:

some how i don't think you gotta worry man.. your little .12 kicks the daylights outta any other .15 rigger i've seen yet :)

Some people are not intrested in racing, for these people displacement dosen't matter. Not everyone want's to race, some just run for fun.

Instead of going to a .15, why not use something like the new O.S. .18 motor or some other .18? If I wasn't trying to see what I can do to be IMPBA legal, I'd drop in a larger motor!

Eh, don't take your weedwhacker apart just yet.

Yeppers - I was just looking at a prather mono built for a 21 that I was considering putting a 32 in. Pull start. Yummy.

You'd have to find a way to cool them. I guess leaving the head exposed you -would- get more cooling than what it would in the car...

Also, they're built for lower-end power - not so much flat-out. Further, if you can get the additional benefit of water cooling (allowing more power, more nitro and the like) why wouldn't you use it?

Dunno. Maybe if you had the car and didn't like it... but anymore there are pull-start marine engines available (I think they were available at the same time they came out in cars) and the cost difference isn't enough for me to go getting creative.

Instead of going to a .15, why not use something like the new O.S. .18 motor or some other .18? If I wasn't trying to see what I can do to be IMPBA legal, I'd drop in a larger motor!
I put a .18 XTM car motor in my miss Bud, and it really woke it up :eek: , but I think that one of the HO Italian .15 are even stronger then say the OS .18 which was known as the TORQ .18 in some Duratrax cars :huh: . I am a huge OS fan and have only run them in my off road stuff for their reliability and smoothe powerband, but I want top end poneys and I think that the Italians have the corner on the market there.

Whay are a lot of people installing 15s or larger in 12 riggers. Aren't the new class rules for up to .12 only?
My club is not that big and there are no hydros running there so the only rules I have to conform to are the ones for run what you brung: None! :lol: I an not a NATS quality boater :p , nore do I have the budget eg, I just bought a house in San Diego!, have a wife and two kids. :blink: :blink:

I thought the same the the other day. Sure build a boat to go as fast as you can, that's great. But one day, and mark my words, there will be enough .12 interest where more clubs will offer the class. Then somebody will call and say, " Can I run my .15,.18"? Well if it's a big race I would assume the answer "NO". Then everybody will be up in arms because the IMPBA classifies them with a .21.

On the other hand people may think bigger is better=faster.

I don't why you couldn't put a .21 car motor in a boat. The K&B SS .21 is air-cooled with only 3 fins on their heat sink head, .21 car motors have a lot more. Bob Kensill has a .26 in a rigger (IMPBA "C" hydro) that has hit 90+MPH so far so there are possibilities.

The only ways around be "A" class rule would be if you can get a club to run them if you should prove that you could get the people to show up or go to the little if ever used ABS class which requires up to .16, pull start only, muffled motors only, no tuned pipes and of course an ABS plastic mono hull. Not too many boats fit in this category though.

Hi Guys

The answer as to why you would put a 15 in a 12 size boat uis because they are based around the same crankcases (mostly) and although the 12s go good - a good 15 will hammer a 12. 1/10th RC cars definately proves this one out. A 3 port 15 will hammer even the hotest 12. There are also 8 port turbo 15s that put out as much power as 21s of only a few years ago.

I believe the old saying holds true - the is no replacement for displacement.

just my $0.02

Have fun guys

there will be enough .12 interest where more clubs will offer the class
Preston I hope you are right! I think that people will see that these little boats are a great bang for the buck. I think you showed us all how fast one can go, and there was still more in it you say? Where else can you spend arround ~$500 and move towards 50 mph?

Me personally I am putting a .15 in mine because I will have to compete with a gas cat and .67 cat. If we get together enough boats to do a real A hydro event then I will get the latest hi-po .12.

Just my $.02

my newest is going to be a 15..... cause it is my logic that it will have all the speed/power as the $300+ .12's for $169. if i ever do get to have it in an actual race i will use a .12..... but since this is strictly a fun class now a .15 is for me.

Watercadet said:
there will be enough .12 interest where more clubs will offer the class
Preston I hope you are right! I think that people will see that these little boats are a great bang for the buck. I think you showed us all how fast one can go, and there was still more in it you say? Where else can you spend arround ~$500 and move towards 50 mph?

Me personally I am putting a .15 in mine because I will have to compete with a gas cat and .67 cat. If we get together enough boats to do a real A hydro event then I will get the latest hi-po .12.

Just my $.02
Are you coming to the race this weekend? Pull ya around the pond with my cat lol.

If you want to run A hydro, there are a couple of people who have them, but they don't race because there has not been interest in that class. Bring that monster down and I'm shure if you bring it every race the other guys will come out. Incidently, my brother is bringing his X-hydro out this weekend for the club race, so you'll have him too. I told him if he gets close to me, I'm knockin him out LOL.

Regards, Gordon

Hey Gordie I am still waiting on the hardwear for mine, but as soon as it is sorted out (even before that) I will be down there with my NAMBA card :D That Insane cat of yours is a hot one, but I think that if that nitro cat can keep it on the water and get a good start, we are all in trouble :lol:

"OK, OK Guys"

I really wasn't trying to cause any trouble. Just thought maybe the rules were going to be different. I'm just running a stock OS-TR and looking for other better engines, but so many of them have the pilot shaft and I don't really know where to get flywheels and couplers for them.

Don ;)

Watercadet said:
Hey Gordie I am still waiting on the hardwear for mine, but as soon as it is sorted out (even before that) I will be down there with my NAMBA card :D That Insane cat of yours is a hot one, but I think that if that nitro cat can keep it on the water and get a good start, we are all in trouble :lol:
Well if Mike gets that cat of his going better, I always have the nitrous baby :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That boat isn't fast enough for you? :eek:

I'm going to try out 2 of Izitbrokeyet's carbs today after work. There ought to be a lot of potential there with getting away from those restricted Factory carbs.

Yeah, it's a Bear to find a hot .12 without those SG shafts and rotary carbs for that matter, that's why I got the Fantom's but the carbs on them aren't the best.

Back