who makes a good starter belt

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Cousin

Which stater belts have you had the best luck with.

I've had good belts and some real stinkers. looking to pick up some good ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a sewing machine shop. I have used their belts for years and have never had a problem with them. oh yeah, they are half the price of a "real" boat belt!! Good luck. Ryon Shaw

:p Buy Cheap price Bulk of belts at any Sewing machine store so use it no problem since 4 yrs :ph34r: Octura and Prather are very expensive :blink: Good Luck!!!! ;)

Go to a sewing machine repair shop and talk to the person that works on them. I went to a local Viking dealer and the guy in the back room had a box full of used belts that he took off from repairs and trade-ins and got a bunch of them cheap! Most are only worn on the sides and haven't had the stress put on them they we do. I think that I paid $3.00 for a handful.

i once got a prather belt it had...........sewrite written on it . <_< .. so what does that tell ya...... :eek: see above

Do these sewing machine belts look like the red/orange colored belts from octura/prather?

I've seen some that look like big rubber orings and I don't car for those.

Dan, what Prather and the other companies don't want you to know is that these are sewing machine belts or the same belts used on some other machinery. They but them and throw them in a package with their label on it, a common practice in this hobby/sport. Calling them a sewing machine belt doesn't sound as manly as a starting belt.

Dan, what Prather and the other companies don't want you to know is that these are sewing machine belts or the same belts used on some other machinery. They but them and throw them in a package with their label on it, a common practice in this hobby/sport. Calling them a sewing machine belt doesn't sound as manly as a starting belt.
McMaster Carr "timing belts". Of course the first stop should be the sewing machine repairperson (cheaper than new belts) . If you cannot find one go to McMaster Carr. They have three different "formula's". I have no clue what the cost of a belt from Octura or Prather is but I know McMaster is between $3.50 and $8.00. ;)

I have no clue what the cost of a belt from Octura or Prather is but I know McMaster is between $3.50 and $8.00. ;)
i paid $4/ea for my prather belts. Dont have any sewing machine shops around here in the woods to get some belts from :rolleyes:

I have no clue what the cost of a belt from Octura or Prather is but I know McMaster is between $3.50 and $8.00. ;)
i paid $4/ea for my prather belts. Dont have any sewing machine shops around here in the woods to get some belts from :rolleyes:

Hey rigged,

Take a good look at the outside of the belt and tell me what text is on it. My belt says "alphasew 1712"

Last edited by a moderator:
<_< another way to go (i cant remember the name of the stuff) is get this stuffit is round and red ive seen it used as small drive belting on machinery( it is some kind of plastic ) before you cut it to length ... put apeice of metal preferably stainless steel in the vice heat it red hot rub both end of belting (one each side of the hot metal works best) then butt them together while hot and sticky let cool ...viola one starter belt make a couple ..... if you break it or melt it cut it and re join as above.... used to do this a few years ago .... but now got lazy and buy sewing machine belts instead :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back