Who made the first production O/B Tunnel?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Van Houten

Supporting Member
Vendor
I remember that somewhere in 1977-78 there was a guy building a wooden tunnel he called the Excaliber. In the 1979 December RCMB magazine plans were featured for this boat. I looked for it this morning but could not put my hand on it. Was the Excaliber the first production R/C Outboard Tunnel Boat? Maybe Jerry Dunlap can remember this and help or maybe someone out there can remember something about this boat. There was also an Excaliber II.

Jerry, was this one of your kits?

Last edited:
Fun With Tunnel 5.jpg
I remember that somewhere in 1977-78 there was a guy building a wooden tunnel he called the Excaliber. In the 1979 December RCMB magazine plans were featured for this boat. I looked for it this morning but could not put my hand on it. Was the Excaliber the first production R/C Outboard Tunnel Boat? Maybe Jerry Dunlap can remember this and help or maybe someone out there can remember something about this boat. There was also an Excaliber II.

Jerry, was this one of your kits? The Excaliber II was produced in fiberglass by Vic Drew from Medford, OR.Fun With Tunnel 8.jpg
Fun With Tunnel 9.jpg

The Excalibur one tunnel was designed by a guy by the name of Dave Nolan.....A fiberglass version of the Excalibur was made by a Oregon RC boater by the name of Vic Drew......The glass version was a metal flaked gell-coat boat that weighed about 6 pounds dry......
As I recall the Vic Drew glass boats were the first production tunnels...... All the wood Excaliburs were plans boats......
The excalibur two was a derivative by Dunlap.....

Last edited:
Thanks Rod. I had that magazine and it may still be around here somewhere. I'll post the article if I run across it. I remember Jerry asking about it years ago in RCBM. The request I have attached would suggest that there were plans made available for the Ver II also.

By chance does anyone have this 1979 December RC Model Builder issue? It would be cool to post the article on here so that everyone could see where all this madness started from.

Attachments

• RCBM.jpg
    RCBM.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Thanks Rod. I had that magazine and it may still be around here somewhere. I'll post the article if I run across it. I remember Jerry asking about it years ago in RCBM. The request I have attached would suggest that there were plans made available for the Ver II also.

By chance does anyone have this 1979 December RC Model Builder issue? It would be cool to post the article on here so that everyone could see where all this madness started from.
Here is the article:

Attachments

• Excaliber0001.pdf
    224.1 KB · Views: 288
  • Excaliber0002.pdf
    215.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Excaliber0003.pdf
    203 KB · Views: 171
  • Excaliber0004.pdf
    138.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Excaliber0005.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 165
  • Excaliber0006.pdf
    218.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Excaliber0007.pdf
    206.4 KB · Views: 189
There was a little picklefork boat made by Midwest that probably precedes 1977. Powerboat magazine used to have a small section each month for RC boats. There are pics of tunnels in the '75-'76 issues.

There was a little picklefork boat made by Midwest that probably precedes 1977. Powerboat magazine used to have a small section each month for RC boats. There are pics of tunnels in the '75-'76 issues.
I think it was the Klampon Kai or something. I remember drooling all over the kit box at the local hobby shop back then...

Funny that they would say "The angular aspect is a little disturbing at first" in the article about the build but it is a very accurate statement. That is one strange looking deck design for sure. Thanks for sharing the article. I read it and was going to read the continuation on page 162 but that part seemed to be missing. I wonder what the bottom looked like?

Wow those pages are a blast from the past. Read some of the ads. Glow plugs, 6 for $3.50. One ad has 3.5 outboard at $59.00. The suggested retail of that tunnel boat is $44.00. Could probably get them for less than $40. Kind of surprised at the boats length. It says 31 inches. Probably a fun boat in its day.

$44.95 at the time...

Grim

Attachments

• 20200420_091013 (Medium).jpg
    20200420_091013 (Medium).jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 20200420_091057 (Medium).jpg
    20200420_091057 (Medium).jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 237
"Vacuum formed that long ago is cool. Any pictures? "

You've got to be kidding. I was around 12 at the time. I remember chasing it across the lake in our power boat. I'm not sure if it got lost or sank.

Lohring MIller

Back