Who has run my NR OB conversions already???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks JW,

LOL I have had my engine apart many times in the last few weeks because of the records, but I still do not know how many Dots I have...

Tell you what, I was going to be very mad if I had broken another crank especially because Mark just sold his last kits!! But 'luckily' it was only the rod...Mark, I think I might have to get a kit off you next time as a spare, I don't have much faith in mine...

Cheers

kris

Thanks JW,

LOL I have had my engine apart many times in the last few weeks because of the records, but I still do not know how many Dots I have...

Tell you what, I was going to be very mad if I had broken another crank especially because Mark just sold his last kits!! But 'luckily' it was only the rod...Mark, I think I might have to get a kit off you next time as a spare, I don't have much faith in mine...

Cheers

kris

Kris have you been grinding on it? :unsure:

I personally, have not ;)

The first one, OK MAYBE it was a modification that cause the failure (snapped in the port window of crank), but the second broke at the shoulder of the small diameter.

Kris

Jerry the motors that i have are both car motors so yes their is probably diff codes and buttons on the marine motors. Regards Martin.

The first one, OK MAYBE it was a modification that cause the failure (snapped in the port window of crank), but the second broke at the shoulder of the small diameter.

Kris
OK, were these my cranks or PB's cranks? I have not had anyone that I know of brake one of mine yet.

Kris
OK, were these my cranks or PB's cranks? I have not had anyone that I know of brake one of mine yet.
Probably 2nd run Fulton/PB cranks. I have busted four (count em, four!) in the last year. That gets to be pretty expensive candy. Kinda makes you wanna get hold of somebody and look for a way to get your money back. I mean, it's one thing to have a crank pop, but not four of them. I wonder how much profit he pulled by using junk steel to make them.

I have one 1st run Fulton crank. Good steel should last forever. But just in case, it will be coming out as soon as I get the cranks we spoke of Mark. it will go in a third backup motor and used only as a last resort.

One crank of yours Mark, Got it from Shane Adderly at the Tunnel Champs. I Don't anticipate that one will break either.

Two more of yours coming, one will go to a backup motor and one to Shane.

That puts your cranks in my primary and first backup motors. the first run Fulton crank will go in the second backup motor.

I hate to say it, but I will never buy another Fulton/PB crank. Screw me once your fault, screw me twice (or four times), my fault.

~Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen the 2nd run fulton/PB cranks break. I think they used 17-4 prehard SS. That way they could machine it all with no grinding or heat treatment.

My cranks are 8620 steel and heat treated. They should be as good as the NR cranks as far as toughness go's.

Sorry Mark, I did mention it on an earlier post that they were 2nd run PB Cranks. Funny thing is that they were no cheaper than yours :(

One thing I must say, is that the seller of the parts did give me his own crank (lightly used) from his Nova (probably 1st run PB crank) and that is what I currently run. I really do appreciate his generosity in regards to that, as I know it was not his fault they were dodgy.

I think what you have done is an AWSOME thing and I have seen your handy work and it looks REAL NICE!!

WOW Bill, now I know where all of the cranks have gone LOL

Cheers

Kris

If it wasn't for Marks knowledge and tweaking on my motors. I would be LOST in this hobby.

Thanks brother, I really do appreciate everything you do for me and others!!!

If it wasn't for Marks knowledge and tweaking on my motors. I would be LOST in this hobby.

Thanks brother, I really do appreciate everything you do for me and others!!!

Oh don't go getting all sappy on me now. I am here at work making you a new OB powerhead.

Jerry, Glenn shipped me two 5 ports about 2 months ago. When is took them apart. I was surprised to see that they both of the pistons were domed and dished.

I raced mine today. I like it alot and it is fast. I just need to learn to drive it better. Buoy's also keep jumping out in front of me. :rolleyes:
Well yeah,, there were a bunch of us that were surprised with that "domed dished" deal.

I had a time with my 7 port for a while, kinda got side tracked with my RB Classico9 head button in the 7M and some 1440 B/C props. Something wasn't quite right there and I got back on course with the 7M button and went on with my original plan.

That plan was to try and make that high volume stock button with the domed/dished arrangement work with 30% and squeeze it down on the headspace. This last outing I took the headspace to .004" and put on a P-220 and then a Ron Drake Octura 442. Geez! Totally different animal, Cool with fuel method, w/stock water head on and no water (of course), Irwin pipe got loud and it lit up the pond!

Last prop of the day was a full size X640, it even pulled That! A bit crazy for heat racing tho but it was fun to watch :wub:

Back