Whiplash Gen II Sport X with a CMB101

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaceMechaniX

Supporting Member
I have kicking the idea around for a year or so about converting my second Gen II Whip over to a Sport X/Open boat. So finally after a lack luster district race weekend of chasing carb problems I decided to pull the Zenoah and transplant the 101. I must say it looks right at home. The Ferrette mixture block was added to the existing engine mount doubler and now the only real question is how can I squeeze enough fuel into the hull. I have a 10oz Walt Barney tank in the left from sponson and an am debating where to the put the second. I have a spare tank which I placed in the middle compartment which would give me enough fuel for a short mill and race. The only thing preventing me from adding a second tank under the right deck is the hard brass water line that runs under the deck. I will add a third servo to the radio box and get everything plumbed up. The real pain I see if making a dummy turbine cowl to cover the pipe if I want to make it a legal Sport X for records.

The collet drive has been converted over to square and plan on running a Mac 1394 with muffler.

More to come later. P1040679_resize.JPGP1040680_resize.JPGP1040681_resize.JPGP1040683_resize.JPGP1040684_resize.JPG

Tyler,

Someone on here has done a test with nitro in a bag with no ill effects. That may be an option. This thing should be a"MONSTER"

LOVE IT

Don :)

Hey Tyler,

I believe you'll see pipe pressure will give you about 1 pound of positive head on tank. CHEERS !!! Bob

I tested and posted on here 60 % nitro in an IV bag on my bench for 3 months here. I cant find the post but it did absoloutely nothing to the bag the baxter held up fine for 90 days. Wish I could find that **** post .. Tony J

Hello everybody . RaceMechanicX ., This is a reply from Australia . Not all my ideas work out , but can you design and make a tank that is able to be shaped to fit under your motor or in the Engine Bay area so as not to change THE BALANCE POINT by LARGE AMOUNTS as the tank EMPTIES . Some Years ago , over here 1 of our members used a COPPER Joining Sleeve ~ 20 mm round and 35 mm long with a Australian 2 cent COIN as the END CAPS and mounted it vertically with the inlet at the Bottom as a header tank in a AVENGER SPIDER HYDRO . SEE What you think and give it a go . Regards . Ian Baas , Tall Fella Racing . Australia . Sorry about the layout , but my Computer won't let me drop down a line on International Waters .

Thanks guys, Ian I was thinking of adding a hopper tank under the carb, but I still need more volume overall to complete 6 laps plus mill. Right now the current tank only holds 12 oz. I need at least another 12oz. Tyler

I always thought that would be a really cool idea, but never considered the increased amount of fuel required vs the limited space.

Have you spoken with Walt about trying to design a metal tank ? Your gonna need at least the 24oz , but you know that ;)

Too pretty a boat to cut up the deck, but ?? Something to consider if you where to purpose build one for nitro use in the future though.

Keep us posted , I'm interested in how it works out,

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, I designed the other tank and had Walt fabricate. The only thing stopping me from designing a tank for the right hand side is the brass water line that is hard mounted under the deck. I am trying to avoid cutting it out, but it looks like that will have to be the course of action. TG

Anthony, I will amaze you even more as this boat had the entire right sponson ripped off! The guy who built both boats the first time around practically rebuilt the entire sponson and top and bottom decks. Here are both Whips when they were new.
gallery_4990_383_835596.jpg

DSCN9537r.jpg

DSCN3870R.jpg

Also, I make hydro sport boat with a glow engine. I will use CMB90EVO.

2 fuel tank I put in the side. I will use the acid container that came with the battery for a small bike (scooter).

Dimensions of tank:

125 x 75 x 45mm (approx. 300ml).

What cover you use?

posoda.jpg

Rado, I also am thinking about using one of Ryan Lipgens HDPE tanks custom make to fit under the deck. The cowls in the picture above were made by Brian Blazer several years ago. I will use the newer style cover which Mike Brown designed off the original cowl.
gallery_4990_383_276775.jpg

I myself will use the original cover, it'll be a little reworked.

The first coat of white paint has been painted.

wp-barvanje-7.jpg

On the fuel tanks would be real easy use two tanks like this one but have one on each side
IMG_0333_zps8c7ba293.jpg

Thanks for the idea Bruce. My throttle push-rod runs up to the motor right in the area you have your tank. If I were building from scratch I would have considered a full saddle tank and a second radio box up from to mount the throttle and mixture servo's like the whip sport 40. Tyler

OK, not entirely legal yet, but getting close. The transplant is complete. Ferrette mixture block and third channel installed and tested. Make a .062 carbon section deck lid which is screwed down to the deck lid liner so it should be pretty secure to hold the pipe. The cowl has been cut and although I not terribly happy with the way it looks it functions just fine. I have to bend up a piece of sheetmetal to carpet tape to the deck to enclose the pipe to make it legal and add the necessary numbers and drivers name, etc. Comes out a little lighter than the gas version although with 24oz on board I sure it will be equal. Here are some pics of the completed project and some with the it's brother the GX-1 whip. Both ready for the 2-lap this weekend at Legg Lake. More pics are available in my gallery http://www.intlwater...lery&album=1580.
gallery_4990_1580_454643.jpg
SSide by side with its brother:
gallery_4990_1580_1038347.jpg

Hi Tyler,have you run your CMB 101 in the wiplash yet. Interest to know how it performs,I have a backlash with RCMK 30 which goes or went quite well until piece come out of top of piston. Wanting to know if glow is quicker than gas engine to decide weather to replace top end or go for glow. I have machine up alloy engine mount to suit CMB 90 to pick up original Zenoah mounting rubbers in Backlash hull,just after feedback how yours went before I start altering out bits,cowl etc.

I was also thinking about CMB 27 alpha engine but bit worried about extra weight,2kg against about 1.6kg. approx

Look forward to any advice on 101 set up or info on CMB 27 alpha engine.

I,m over in Queensland Aussi.

Ross.

Latest posts

Back