Whiplash build questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyellard

I am building a Whiplash Sport 40. I am almost ready to skin the frame. Does anyone apply epoxy to the external surfaces of the boat, or just the internal surfaces?

Thanks,

Josh

You what to seal all the bear wood inside and out with West Systems.

Dave Roach

Josh,

Skin the bottom without sealing any of the wood yet. After that's done, seal the entire inside with epoxy. I prefer Maas Epoxy (got it from Brian Blazer) over the West because it goes on thinner and leaves a better finish than West. I would tend to believe because it goes on thinner, it would seep into the joints better.Try to keep the epoxy off of the surfaces that the deck will bond to later. When your ready to install the decking,coat the hull bulkheads and seal the underside of the deck skin at the same time your ready to bond the deck to the hull so the hull and deck epoxy are both wet for the best bond.

I squeegie off the excess epoxy with an old credit card on the flat surfaces to keep the weight down.

Lastly, after the insides dry, put a thin layer of epoxy on the outer skin. Leave it on a few minutes to soak in and squeegie it off.

Good luck on your build. You'll love the boat when it's done. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using Reninfusion 8604 low viscosity epoxy to make vacuum infused cowls for my Whiplash 40 & I think it would be a better coating than any epoxy I've used including West Systems, MAS & System3. It's about 1/2 as thick as West Systems, hard as a rock & can be applied without needing to scrape of the excess. One coat will penetrate deep into the wood. It is mixed 100 to 15. The only drawback is that it's got a blue tent to it & smells nearly as bad as MAS.

Are the Whiplash kits in production again?

Are the Whiplash kits in production again?

Looks like it Joe.

Brians web site is open again for orders

The Whiplash boats are available again. I bought mine from Brian about 3 weeks ago. Do a search for Whiplash, his dad posted his phone number. I called him to order mine.

Back