Which Prop for a CMB V5?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caiman

Hey Guys,

i have i question. Which prop is a good one for the new V5?

I use normally on my macs a 1457 with 4.3 or 4.4 cup for heat racing.

But on the V5 i think its to small because the V5 has much more tork but less rpm.

Greatings from Germany

Markus

Markus,

If you're running a .45 outrigger, a 1657 is where you really want to be. You'll find it much faster and smoother than a 1457 that's been tweaked to get you the speed you want.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

1457 cupped 4.4" to a 1657 is a huge increase. I would say 1460 cupped 4.4 or 4.5", or a 1462 cupped 4.3, cut to 57mm. Based on my minimal experience the 1400 props are smoother, better handling and quicker through the corners. All around the best racing props.

Hi Markus,

With the tight race courses in Europe and large numbers of boats per heat, I'd recommend staying with the 1400 series props as well. For me, the boats run smoother and turn better than with the 1600 series props.

See you next summer.

Al Hobbs

H18 is a good choice as well. My boat runs much smoother with the H18 than it does with a 1657. Way better throttle response with the same speeds.

Ron

Andy,

I guess the first thing should have been to ask what boat Markus is running. I instantly gravitate toward what works best in the boats I run, which is obviously where the bulk of my knowledge comes from. I don't think you'll find any Crapshooters running a 1400 prop unless it's propped down for conditions far less than ideal. I saw Ron Zaker running an x452(3) on his 45 Crapshooter in London, Ont., just trying to survive in 8" chop.
default_rolleyes.gif

I personally run a slightly de-tongued 1657, and it almost seems to be TOO smooth sometimes. I have also been known to run an S-20, also de-tongued a bit. I also tried the H-18 (almost fell asleep at the wheel) and an H-22. Went back to the 1657 every time.

I also didn't realize the courses in Europe were so limited.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine and Precision LLC

Last edited by a moderator:
Markus Depend on what kind of boat? long or short ?
default_happy.png
also your pond which one hard or soft water ?? reason very tricky!

Markus,

I have found that the V.5 has as much if not more rpm as the VAC. Many factors come in as boat weight, pipe and pipe length. Do not maximize your straight a way speed, but look at corner speed as Andy has said. I have run lessor props for heat racing and found better results.

Stu

Markus,

I have found that the V.5 has as much if not more rpm as the VAC. Many factors come in as boat weight, pipe and pipe length. Do not maximize your straight a way speed, but look at corner speed as Andy has said. I have run lessor props for heat racing and found better results.

Stu
Stu, I remember you telling me that you propped down on your Twin for better racing results. I must say your driving at the recent Fall nats looked better than I have seen in many many years. Kudos Stu!

BTW Marcus said he was running MAC and just changed to V5 and is expecting to see more torque and less rpm.

Come to Fla for the Nitro race in January! What else are you going to do when the pond is frozen?

Just curious Andy. With your "minimal experience" and everything being equal. Could an H18 be competitive with a 1657 on the straights? I think we both know what would happen in the turns.

Sorry, i forgot to write witch boat i drive:)

Its an eagle 45 sgx 2 that i buy from a friend of niklas edlund in Dessau 2012.

It runs perfekt with my mac45 with an 1457 4.3 or 4.4 in the heats...

Now i have a new V5 tested with the 1457 4.4 and seems like to small for this engine.

I use 40% nitro and 18% of oil and have no problems with plugs or something

So now i have a lot of information !!! Many thanks so i have to ask now mark shoulund to start the production of all the props i have to test
default_laugh.png
:lol:
default_laugh.png

Andy, is it possible to make me some of thes props do you prefer?

Andy,

thats one of our dreams to come one time to a race in USA!!!! Hopefully we can realize it in the future:)

And show all the american guys how fast are the europeans
default_biggrin.png
:D
default_biggrin.png

Andy,

thats one of our dreams to come one time to a race in USA!!!! Hopefully we can realize it in the future:)

And show all the american guys how fast are the europeans
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
Hey Marcus, come on over, we would love to see how fast you Europeans are with your 45 riggers running on 40% Nitro.

Consider yourself cordially invited to our upcoming nitro only race in the month of January in sunny Tampa Florida.

The few times that some racers from Scandinavia and Switzerland have come to race in the USA, they have done very well. They tend to hold their lane in the corner and not run wide down the back straight. Their boat speeds are the same as in the USA and they are quiet; very, very quiet.

Al Hobbs

Markus,

We have not tested many of the new ABC propellers on many SGX-2 Eagles yet, but

We are having a very nice speed increase over a 1457 with the new 2215 with a 17 degree

Rake. Recently, last weekend we went from 66 MPH to 72 MPH just with a propeller change. We are starting to find out in real world testing what the higher rake angle is doing

on our different set ups. These are all heat racing set ups that we are testing. I know some

of the Germans and our west coast boaters are liking the new blades for SAW also. With

anything new it takes a little time to adjust to new characteristics of a new propeller and boat

set up. We have found more efficiency and less transom lift with the new series of propellers

from ABC in Columbus, Ohio.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Better to buy new 2014 SGX 45 more room your new CMB45 V-5' carby than SGX-2 Reason Carby touch too close boom main " Issue problem" will be fill water through carby and not enough air I am very happy with my new yellow 2014 SGX 45 with Picco R45 also Al Hobbs has new orange 2014 SGX45 with AA/45 Andy B will tell you about good story new SGX with CF Boom better very much.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious Andy. With your "minimal experience" and everything being equal. Could an H18 be competitive with a 1657 on the straights? I think we both know what would happen in the turns.

Ron, The H-18 would need more RPM to get the same speed as a 1657. Guys are running mid to upper 80's even 90+ with the 1657, but they are on the upper edge of using every last bit of power.

You can do the same with the H-18. Yes, it will run upper 80's, just make the pipe shorter until you are on that upper edge of the available power.

Sorry, i forgot to write witch boat i drive:)

Its an eagle 45 sgx 2 that i buy from a friend of niklas edlund in Dessau 2012.

It runs perfekt with my mac45 with an 1457 4.3 or 4.4 in the heats...

Now i have a new V5 tested with the 1457 4.4 and seems like to small for this engine.

I use 40% nitro and 18% of oil and have no problems with plugs or something

So now i have a lot of information !!! Many thanks so i have to ask now mark shoulund to start the production of all the props i have to test
default_laugh.png
:lol:
default_laugh.png

Andy, is it possible to make me some of thes props do you prefer?
Marcus,

The V5 can turn more RPM. Just make the pipe shorter and continue use the 1457's. You will find the speed you want.

Many years ago I put a 1457/3 on a Picco Hydro 90 powered rigger and managed to get 74 mph out of it. Yes I was going faster with bigger props, but I am just making the point that even a big 90 engine can turn enough RPM to get good speed out of a 1457.

Yes, I can work a 1460 and 1462 for you if you want to try that also. Also more cup is possible on the 1457. I have some in stock with 4.7" and 5.0" cup.

Maybe you can come to US and race some day. I know seven different Hydro racers that came from Europe to race in the USA over the years. Every single one of them went home with one or more Trophies. Most of them were racing Eagles.
default_smile.png

Back