Which glue do I use ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark couty

I need to mount a wood block to an epoxy glass cowl for a mounting point. What glue would work best for joining wood to the cowl ? Thanks.

Epoxy glue will work best for this one. Most other glues won't bond very well to epoxy glass and polyester resin won't stick at all. Just rough up the inner surface where you want to attach the wood blocks and epoxy away

I have had some ptoblems with the fast cure epoxies poping off the glass even with good prep.Iv been using mas flag and seems to bond better.

May seem odd to some but I had a problem with 30 min. epoxy when gluing poplar blocks to a PT hull. These were blocks to keep the radio box from shifting fore and aft and also anchor points for hooks that hold the rubber bands to keep the radio box down. One popped off just sitting in the pits. The way it was explained to me- The thicker epoxy was too thick to penetrate into the wood. I cleaned everything up with 80 grit and Iso Alch and used thin CA. No problem since.

Sometimes its good to add some lightweight glass cloth over the blocks and to the cowl, as just using the epoxy isnt strong enough to keep the block or blocks attached.......found this out the hard way once or twice! Adding glass makes the bond much stronger!

Back